Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #1

Powder Coated Finishes - How to make them last?

It seems like more and more things today are powder coated. Unfortunately - they don't hold a nice finish long. I have waxed the entire front hardware and bumper of my TT twice last year....it looks nice for awhile, but quickly turns "milky" and continues to (what I call) "chalk"....already I get black on my waxing rag. I'm not ready to give up yet......
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I cleaned my bumper and frame.
Then I spray painted with a semi-gloss black paint.
Looks all shinny and new again.
Powder coating seems to be a porous medium and moisture gets underneath sooner or later.
Seems like it needs some sealer and paint works for me.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #3

I have things that I have personally built and had powder coated at "Allied Powder Coating, Houston Texas". One has been outside for 3 years. It is not dull, faded or have a haze on it. I bet the quality of the powder coating matters a lot.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

Is it powder coating?

I agree with TX-Arvee. Either the powder coating wasn't done correctly or it isn't powder coated. Powder coating holds a gloss for years, and is very hard and durable. We can almost look at something and tell if it is powder coated. The finish will appear to look almost like colored glass. I can tell by looking at my tt that neither the bumper or hitch area is powder coated. If it is, it was a poor job. The reason for powder coating is to eliminate the chore of polishing and helps prevent rust.
boatbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

It also makes a difference what kind of surface is under the powder coat. Where I work at an antique auto restoration shop, owners sometimes request powder coating of components like frames, axles, and suspension parts, rather than painting. In those cases, we always have the item sandblasted before having the powder coating done. It comes out a very nice finish that lasts, and to date, we have never had a come-back due to peeling, discoloration, fading, chalking, etc. If you powder coat plain bare metal that has not been treated or "roughed up" (like sandblasting), the powder coat will not last nearly as long.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #6

Before my TT, I built-up a JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket) Wrangler. All of the new exterior bolt-on hardware (flood light brackets, swing-out spare tire racks, etc) were all marketed as powder coated finish (black)....none of those held up either. They each display the same symptoms I see on my TT Frame....1) glossy finish starts to haze 2) color comes off when washed / waxed.

I was assuming Jayco TT Frames were powder coated as well. If not....what finish does Jayco use? And how can it be cared for?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Powder coating is not an inexpensive process and I find it hard to believe that any trailer manufacturer who uses the cheapest matierials throughout the trailer would spend the bucks on a powder coated frame. It's just not how the RV industry rolls.

Don't be offended as I believe Jayco probably has the better quality product overall. The RV industry as a whole uses the least expensive materials for construction that's all.

Lightly sand your frame and apply some gloss Rust-Oleum and call it good.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #8

X2, mcfarmall. To truly powder coat an automobile frame costs our company around $1,000 - $1,200, and most TT and 5er frames have a lot more square feet of coverage than a car. Our Designer 5er was top of the Jayco line back when its first owner purchased it, and it definitely does not have any powder coating anywhere. Much too expensive for an RV manufacturer.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #9

I wrote Jayco and they responded that, INDEED the frames ARE powder-coated. I am waiting approval to forward the e-mail in it's entirety because there is other good information in there. (Jayco includes a confidentiality statement in their replies). Actually, the frame / rear bumper held up excellent over the winter (since last summer waxing)....however the spare tire holder, propane tank holder, and tongue jack are another story. I'm going to have to paint them.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #10

Reply from Jayco is that I couldnt copy the e-mail - It's confidential. But Lippert makes thier chassis - so I looked up thier website on my own.....

For anyone interested.....

http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...id=34:products