Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

Power awning

I'm new to this new power awning and was wondering how every one is tying down in case of wind.
Stelewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #2

In case of wind, we retract our power awning. I would rather have the old manual style if I had a choice after owning this one for 3 years.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #3

I read, on another forum, that "If you even think it's too windy... then it is!"

There are, in fact, some awnings that will sense wind gusts, and retract themselves, but I'm not sure I'd want to rely on that.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #4

We pull ours in if it starts getting too windy. Our rig supposedly has the “auto retract” feature WeRJuliian referenced, but I don’t want to find out the hard way that it doesn’t work.

Parked next to a brand new North Point last year that had the awning in pieces on the ground because they didn’t pull it in soon enough when he wind picked up.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #5

When wind kicks up, take it in as the others have mentioned.

I installed the Carefree "Direct Response" electronics on my Seneca, but I found out the hard way it doesn't help when a sudden microburst is the first wind that hits. No time for the electronics to react and retract the awning before it tore up my front arm!
Attached Thumbnails
Travel'r awning fail.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #6

Electric Awing

X2 on the manual over the electric. Error on the safe side and take it in. I had gear problems (not wind related) on the motor on my Carefree of Colorado. Carefree worked with me and provided the parts I needed to repair it.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #7

X3 on the take it in. We shorten ours some as the wind comes but when it starts to “more than move a little” we power it in. Neighbors at a campground left theirs out and it was bent in two in short order!
Meadowlark paint
Iraq 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post

I installed the Carefree "Direct Response" electronics on my Seneca, but I found out the hard way it doesn't help when a sudden microburst is the first wind that hits. No time for the electronics to react and retract the awning before it tore up my front arm!

Someone should include an awning fabric breakaway connection to deal with the sudden wind gusts. I'm thinking a strip of industrial Velcro that gives way and is easy to reattach after you rewind the roller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #9

Considering getting a pair of these to keep the awning in place when driving:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GYM17W8...v_ov_lig_dp_it
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #10

If you could go to the Wildcat forum and punch in awning tie downs, I went and built the pvc tie downs and never had a problem with the wind. Awning does not flap, just stays right there.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #11

Our Greyhawk had an electric awning. Our seasonal site is across from a farm and we get a lot of wind almost all the time. We purchased this kit to secure the awning. Camping for a weekend or a week, pulling in the awning every time the wind kicks up isn't a big deal. Having to worry about it for 4-5 months while seasonal camping was frustrating.

The springs on this kit allow the awning to safely move in strong wind gusts. The springs are 7" long and they are stiff enough that the awning only moves with strong gusts. When we knew high winds were coming, we'd bring the awning in, but having them on the awning gave us piece of mind when we weren't at the site and the wind kicked up. We had a few times where unforecasted (is that a word?) storms blew threw with 40+ mph wind gusts. Our camp chairs might have been blown around, but the awning was still in tact.

Please keep in mind, our awning was only 11' long. I don't know how well these would work on 20'+ foot awnings. Our Bungalow has a manual awning that is 20' long. We still use the tie downs, but they are not as effective. Probably because of the size of the awning, the tie downs are not as useful. I am not as comfortable leaving the site with the awning out.

For smaller, electric awnings, these tie downs are well worth the price. Very cheap insurance. We paid about $5 less than the current price, but even at the current price, they are worth it.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #12

Tie Downs

It's so windy at my winter home in Texas, that I can rarely leave my awning out for more than a couple of hours. If it starts "parachuting" and flapping in the wind, the noise gets the dog upset. So I have to bring it in. However, at my summer home in northern LP Michigan, my rig sets at a much better angle to the prevailing wind. I use a couple of the "pound-in" dog stakes and a couple of 10' long ratchet straps to hold mine down. Last year, I didn't have to bring the awning in a single time in five months! I may be adding a spring to each strap this year - just for a little cushion.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I may be adding a spring to each strap this year - just for a little cushion.
I like the springs because they take the stress off the anchors. In a really strong wind, the anchors could be pulled out of the ground damaging the awning and whatever the anchors hit as they are hurled through the air.

The springs can be purchased alone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A343LA/
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I like the springs because they take the stress off the anchors. In a really strong wind, the anchors could be pulled out of the ground damaging the awning and whatever the anchors hit as they are hurled through the air.

The springs can be purchased alone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A343LA/
My thoughts exactly! I'll probably just pick up a pair of springs at the local Home Depot. They have a nice selection.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #15

Living in areas with high winds means I've seen just about every type of awning thing there is. And the ripped or broken awnings to go with them.

Nothing works to protect the awning and/or support structure when you get a good burst. Like shown above, a small thunderstorm will deliver sone devastating wind gusts with little to no warning.

When in windy country, if you leave your rig or the wind picks up, then do yourself a favor and retract the awnings.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #16

Where was that taken? From memory, it sure looks like one I saw at KOA Lake Whippowill in Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #17

I never tie my awning down. Anything more than a light breeze, and the awning comes in.

When ever I leave the trailer, the awning comes in.

Of course, I never park my trailer at any site for weeks at a time. I could see where those that do would want to be able to secure their awning when deployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelewis View Post
I'm new to this new power awning and was wondering how every one is tying down in case of wind.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #18

All this talk of blowing awnings has anyone ever checked the lags that secure the arms to the trailer. I did a few weeks ago and found 3 that needed tightened back up. Not sure if they backed out after leaving it out during a storm or not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Where was that taken? From memory, it sure looks like one I saw at KOA Lake Whippowill in Orlando.
Rock Cut State Park near Rockford, IL. Haven't had this unit to Florida, yet!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #20

RV awnings could take a design consideration from patio umbrellas where those allow wind to escape from the top of the umbrella.