Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2022, 03:45 PM   #21

I use locking painters poles attached to U shaped wood blocks that fit under the awning roller and adjust to the ground. Than ratchet strap each end to the ground. Up at my camp I leave it out for the 2-3 months there.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:48 PM   #22

Pic of front pole in place at my camp.
Attached Thumbnails
78EB15B6-ABC2-4696-A64C-65ACEC8E9B82.jpg  
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #23

Awning failure

Bought a slightly used Precept. I was told we had rain dumping feature, first week out in Georgia, absolute down pour. Awning arms collapse, I have to take awning off, strap it to roof, and drove with it there until we got home(8,000 miles later) to install new arms from OEM. Cost- $900 and much aggravation. New rule, wind or rain awning comes in.
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:35 PM   #24

Electric awnings are very fragile. If the wind billows the fabric and the arms are moving, reel it in.

Missing from the electric awnings are:
Vertical support poles;
Rafters.

You can buy relatively useful vertical poles and tie down straps anchored with heavy tent stakes. The poles MUST firmly attach to the end of the arms holding the roll-up drum. "Cradle" devices are useless. This step will give you time to roll up the awning if a thunderstorm rolls through.
But this is still not as good as your old manual awning.

Rafters are essential to a solid awning. The awning on my old pop-up was a PITA to setup and tear down. But it was strong.

I no longer bother with vertical poles. I use simple straps to the ground to give me time to retract the awning. We never leave it out unless we are "right there" to reel it in if the wind comes up.

In other words, electric awnings suck.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:29 AM   #25

Watched a 5th wheel in front of us at the campground a few weeks ago, with the wind howling most of the week, and their arms were moving so much, the awning would bubble up almost 90 degrees. Folks didn't seem to mind; we watched the show with ours retracted.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I always angle my awning down and slanted aft if there is rain. Runs right off the corner.
I do the same and have never had any problems with "normal rain" Heavy down pours, I will really slant the awning and it runs right off.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Electric awnings are very fragile. If the wind billows the fabric and the arms are moving, reel it in.

Missing from the electric awnings are:
Vertical support poles;
Rafters.

You can buy relatively useful vertical poles and tie down straps anchored with heavy tent stakes. The poles MUST firmly attach to the end of the arms holding the roll-up drum. "Cradle" devices are useless. This step will give you time to roll up the awning if a thunderstorm rolls through.
But this is still not as good as your old manual awning.

Rafters are essential to a solid awning. The awning on my old pop-up was a PITA to setup and tear down. But it was strong.

I no longer bother with vertical poles. I use simple straps to the ground to give me time to retract the awning. We never leave it out unless we are "right there" to reel it in if the wind comes up.

In other words, electric awnings suck.
Continuing my rant. Illustrations were difficult to provide from my phone...now on the computer.

I tried these "Carefree" support poles. I found them to be essentially useless, because the upper support saddle is plastic, pulls free from the pole, and the hook meant to attach the ground strap was frail. I returned them after one weekend's use.
There were several problems with this design. Most notably, the orange plastic drum saddle just pushed onto the top of the pole. Any movement by the awning would lift the saddle off the pole. Next, the tie-down strap attached to the saddle at the back of the saddle...rather than attaching to the pole...and this further encouraged the saddle to separate from the pole. My poles were laying on the ground more often than supporting the awning.

The key problem is that most aftermarket poles to NOT attach firmly to the awning frame. Here is a DIY solution that actually makes sense. The key element in the design is the "U-bracket" that attaches permanently to the awning frame, and to which the pole is firmly attached with a clevis pin or locking pin similar to that holding your drop leg or foot to your tongue jack. The important part is that the pole will not separate from the awning if the wind lifts the awning a bit...because the "saddle" and the pole are firmly connected together with the pin.

One modification I'd make to this design is to add a stake D-ring to the bottom of the pole...to keep it from moving about...and another to the top of the pole to provide an attachment for a ratchet strap. These straps could be attached to the pole using stainless screws and washers. A ratchet strap could go from the top of the pole to a stake in the ground to hold the pole and awning in place. The advantage of attaching the ratchet strap to the pole is that you are not applying down pressure to the shaft in the awning drum.

There is a commercial product that follows this general design. It's new. I would provide a link, but I can't find it. It costs about $150, so this DIY system may be more economical.

Another missing element is a "rafter"...a pole from the extended awning drum to near the roof of the camper...a horizontal pole that adds considerable rigidity to the contraption. PopUp camper awnings have these, but they are built into the frame and very easy to deploy. The monkey motion required to install rafters on an electric awning would include use of a sizable stepladder and manual placement of the rafter once the awning is deployed (as it does on a PUP, but the roof is much lower). A rafter would add a lot of strength, but it would also substantially increase the work required for setup...and it would be a serious hindrance to rapid tear down in a storm. Many of the older manual awnings have rafters built in, and they deploy and break down in seconds.

I gave up on using any kind of pole. A primary advantage of an electric awning is the ease and speed of putting it away. Now I use these simple ratchet ropes to prevent a sudden gust of wind from folding the awning back and up and over the roof. They are very easy to release, and under extreme conditions, two people might be able to hold the ropes while a third brings in the awning. Without vertical pole supports, these are just snugged up gently, but if wind is lifting the canvas and frame, they hold it back from ruining the frame and possibly damaging the roof, skylight, vent-fan covers, and, in my case, solar panels. Their entire purpose is to buy time if one of Colorado's very frequent afternoon thunderstorms rolls through.

In the end, I like the electric awning for its ease of deployment and storage, but mine spends a LOT of time rolled up, because it's windy in the Rocky Mountains.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #28
Site Team

I do agree the manual awnings are stronger against moderate winds by design, and it's one of many reasons we're hanging on to our 2012. We slant it a bit for any unannounced rain, and I put a pair of those inexpensive orange HF ratchet straps on each end of the roller when we set up. A pair of the long nail style tent spikes do well to anchor them to the ground. Just enough tension to keep it stable. I have witnessed the wind put a couple of unsecured manual awnings up on roofs. Not a pretty site at all.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #29

Has anyone purchased or looked into the Carefree kit that is supposed to pull in the awning when the winds pick up? There are mixed reviews, appears that many of the low rating reviews are because the wires need to be reversed on some units.

Also, it reads as if the awning can be deployed or retracted by a single push of the button instead of holding it down, which would be of value even without the wind sensor.

~CA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
Old 04-28-2022, 12:06 PM   #30

I kind of like this kit the article mentions above:

Awning Stabilizer

I might give it a try this year.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote