Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
Gotcha. That makes more sense then. It looked like one end plugged into the plug on the outside of your camper and the other end to the pedestal. Keeping it inside and more secure is nice. Knock on wood I have had anyone fool with mine yet.
I have had a PT50 hanging around outside for going on 7 years now and it hasn't started walking yet.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #22

I installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C in our Hummingbird.

I didn't want to mess with having something else to keep up with and worrying about a portable being out in the weather or possibly stolen. Just made sense to me to buy a hard wired unit. If we ever sell our TT, it would take about 15 minutes to remove it.

I also really like having the remote display inside so I can keep an eye on things.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #23

Putting in the hard wired 50 amp Progressive Industries this spring.
One thing to note is the power pole mounted variety cannot protect you from an issue in your cord.
Since those are subject to wear from being moved around, I chose hard wired.
The new Progressives have a built in bypass if something were to fail, but you better be sure the condition that caused the failure is really fixed before bypassing.....
Old 02-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
We bought an external. I read a story where someone bought one that gets hard wired in and when it was damaged, they were dead in the water for a while. With the external, you can carry a spare until it is repaired.
If you're able to do you rown basic work on the RV, you can easily bypass the hard wired one if that were to happen. For the once ever x years possible issue with a dead surge protector I'd rather have the convenience of one less thing to do when I set up or pack up.

The wires that you put on the hard wired unit come from your main circuit breaker, so if it does fail, the wires will reach to bypass it again.
RayPayne is offline   Reply With Quote