Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

Power Surge Protector?

Since our power cords caught fire we are in the market for an exterior surge protector... Can you recommend one that is great but not $200! Thank you!

Also how do you keep your adjoining cords protected outside?
360Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Bridges View Post
Since our power cords caught fire we are in the market for an exterior surge protector... Can you recommend one that is great but not $200! Thank you!

Also how do you keep your adjoining cords protected outside?
Power protection is not something I skimp on. Progressive Industries PT50 series is the only way to go IMHO after over 7 years full time. I like the portable, but others like the internal unit. If you want protection and a lifetime warranty this is the way to go. And it isn't $200.00. It is a bit over $300.00 however but worth every penny.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:06 AM   #3

After reading up on the forum I decided to go with the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, I plan to install it in the spring. As far as protecting the cord I use a plastic food container with a notch cut out on the ends to cover the plug connections when using an extension cable, just to keep the moisture out.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Power protection is not something I skimp on. Progressive Industries PT50 series is the only way to go IMHO.
X2 - I won't plug in without it.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #5

Yep I'd get a Progressive Industries. The extra cost is worth the piece of mind.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #6

Another tip of the hat to Progressive Industries.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

Sorry, but I have to agree with others here on the Progressive. I'm a big fan of a good warranty and there's can't be beat! If the protector saves your electrical system and gets fried in the process, Progressive will replace it...even tho it's not their fault and their product did as it was designed. That's awesome!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #8

We bought an external. I read a story where someone bought one that gets hard wired in and when it was damaged, they were dead in the water for a while. With the external, you can carry a spare until it is repaired.
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #9

Make sure u add to remove the surge protector from padastal and store before leaving. I have a power cord reel. Last year I unplugged the cord from the surge protector and rolled in the cord to stow. On my second walk around to ensure everything was unhooked I noticed my progressive still plugged it. Now it is on my checklist
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #10

We use this one. It's missing a few bells and whistles, but you won't damage your coach. You just won't have all the details the fancy units have. Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Old 02-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
We bought an external. I read a story where someone bought one that gets hard wired in and when it was damaged, they were dead in the water for a while. With the external, you can carry a spare until it is repaired.
I plan to go with this type of install when I put mine in. I did check it out with Progressive and they didn't see any problem.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
I plan to go with this type of install when I put mine in. I did check it out with Progressive and they didn't see any problem.

Nice setup. But why do this than just buying the external/portable?
Old 02-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Nice setup. But why do this than just buying the external/portable?
I believe the hard wired models have a few more features and the display. It would also be inside the trailer out of the weather and out of site. I saw this on another site and thought it seemed like a good idea.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
I believe the hard wired models have a few more features and the display. It would also be inside the trailer out of the weather and out of site. I saw this on another site and thought it seemed like a good idea.

Gotcha. That makes more sense then. It looked like one end plugged into the plug on the outside of your camper and the other end to the pedestal. Keeping it inside and more secure is nice. Knock on wood I have had anyone fool with mine yet.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Gotcha. That makes more sense then. It looked like one end plugged into the plug on the outside of your camper and the other end to the pedestal. Keeping it inside and more secure is nice. Knock on wood I have had anyone fool with mine yet.

Sorry I should have explained that better. I plan to cut into the cable inside and install a plug on one end and a receptacle on the other. That way if there is a problem the unit can be bypassed or if you sell you can take it with you.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #16

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #17

question

So my new trailer(2017 jayflight 38 FDDS) will have a 50 amp service but my park currently has a 30 amp service. So if I buy the plug in style which do I buy? And how would I make it work as far as adapters?
bulldog182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog182 View Post
So my new trailer(2017 jayflight 38 FDDS) will have a 50 amp service but my park currently has a 30 amp service. So if I buy the plug in style which do I buy? And how would I make it work as far as adapters?
You need a 50-amp protector regardless. You then adapt the cord to the available power source. You likely will need 50-amp protection when you travel.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Sorry, but I have to agree with others here on the Progressive. I'm a big fan of a good warranty and there's can't be beat! If the protector saves your electrical system and gets fried in the process, Progressive will replace it...even tho it's not their fault and their product did as it was designed. That's awesome!
My original PT50C had been in service for 6 years and had shut me down many times due to both high and low voltage and a couple of neutral issues, but you never really know if you would have sustained damage if you hadn't had it inline. This "not knowing" all changed in September 2016 when I was hosting in a state park in Florida. Lightning hit a tree close by, traveled down the tree to a 8" PVC waterline feeding the campground. When the surge entered the campground it traveled to numerous electrical lines right in my area. Several RV's around me sustained damage and Leg 2 on my PT50C stopped passing power to my rig. It showed the incoming line voltage for both L1 and L2, but was passing no power on L2. I have a spare PT50C which I pulled out and put in service. Bingo, I was back to both good Legs and zero damage to my rig.

I then called PI, told the above story, they said to ship them the damaged one which I shipped that day (Monday). The replacement arrived 5 days later on Friday with a note that my original one was damaged beyond repair.

I have said this many times "I will never ever plug in anywhere with my PT50C", or the newer model if I ever have another one damaged beyond repair.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 02-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #20

Quote:
The internal version does have a bypass feature I understand, but you are then unprotected during this period.

I do have a spare external which I had to use this past September (see my post in this thread).