Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #41

Predator is a much better price than the Champion 3500. We only chose the Champion because of the remote start!But its heavy 109lbs.Barely fits in battery compartment! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
genny xx.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #42

Had two of those. Each of them failed within 10 hours. First one wouldn't keep a fixed voltage..ran 94 to 135 VAC. Second one engine failed after 22 hours. Both were under their warranty. Took a refund and purchased a Champion. Over 100 hours and it's going strong.

Also be aware, you have a floating ground. Be careful in a wet environment since you could get a shock from a "hot skin" or worse. Use of an EMS will probably see no power from the generator.

Check out this video to understand about electrical shock issues. You may save someone's life, including yours.

ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #43

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
In wet or damp weather use the ground plug from the generator to the RV chassis with a #10 wire. If you use a designed spot for your "Genny" attaché a piece of flattened copper to the chassis.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #44

I've heard individual parts for the HF 3500 Predator are difficult to obtain. Our local HF was not aware of any way to order parts for it. Kind of a bummer when you consider it only has 90-day warranty. The HF Predator warranty, both the standard 90-day warranty, and the optional, extended replacement warranty (one time use only), are "replacement" only. To my knowledge, there's no repair capability provided by HF.

As for Champion, they probably have the best 2-3 year warranty in the consumer generator space. A few years ago, we were getting ready to do some dry camping when our Champion 3100 inverter generator needed some parts at the last minute. Champion overnighted the parts to us under warranty. After the warranty expired, the two rubber pads underneath our 4 year old Champion 3100 wore out. Champion set us a "complimentary" set, free of charge.

Just something to keep in mind when you're choosing a generator. Nothing s***ks more than being stuck with a 100 lb. paper-weight.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
In wet or damp weather use the ground plug from the generator to the RV chassis with a #10 wire. If you use a designed spot for your "Genny" attaché a piece of flattened copper to the chassis.
First, you need a good, solid ground no matter if it's damp, wet or dry. Second, if you place your generator at least 15 feet away (recommended for exhaust and/or noise), that's a lot of wire to have out there, a trip hazard, doesn't like being coiled/uncoiled (copper wire does break when bent). And you have to have a good solid ground on both ends. Hard to do with a plastic case.

You can make your own generator bonding adapter (GBA)(gives you a good ground from generator). The information is out there and J. Michael Sokol, the acknowledged expert on RV electrical, shows how to make one in his RV Electrical Safety Book (available through Amazon). Easy to make, just make sure it is only used on the RV/generator combo.

Remember, to paraphrase the History Channel's Forged in Fire, Electricity Can Kill.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
I've heard individual parts for the HF 3500 Predator are difficult to obtain. Our local HF was not aware of any way to order parts for it. Kind of a bummer when you consider it only has 90-day warranty. The HF Predator warranty, both the standard 90-day warranty, and the optional, extended replacement warranty (one time use only), are "replacement" only. To my knowledge, there's no repair capability provided by HF.

Just something to keep in mind when you're choosing a generator. Nothing s***ks more than being stuck with a 100 lb. paper-weight.
You have that right.

The HF dealer I bought and returned the two units I tried said there are NO Parts available. As far as he was aware, there were no repair stations. He basically took the return, notified HF corp and sold the bad units off to someone who bought his returns.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #47

Thanks guys, I just ordered the Champion from Amazon. I guess I can live without the digital readout on the Predator
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #48

FWIW, there are several different companies selling this exact same generator under different names, wildly different pricing and with differing warranties. Let me clarify that, the internals are the same the only differences are in the color of the exterior panels. The HF version is currently on sale this weekend for $689. Napa is selling their version, I3500L, from BE Pressure equipment for $1,459. HF warranty on the engine is 2 years, everything else is 90 days. The Napa unit warranty is Frames – Lifetime, Honda Engine GX – 3 Years i. **Must contact local Honda Power Equipment for warranty** PowerEase Engines - 2 Years or 1000 Hours Alternator/Control Panel - 1 year. For under $700, I'm willing to take a shot at it. I called my local (Haha, 90 miles away) HF tonight and they said they have them in stock. I asked if they could set one aside for me as I have to work tomorrow, they said call back in the AM and ask if that can be done. I'll post back after I get one.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #49

I took a chance on the HF Predator 3500 late last year. It's only got 12 hours on it.

Last month, during the Big Blizzard, I pulled it out. Gassed it up and left it on the porch in 15*F weather. It started right up.

Longevity is, of course, the big question.
But for 1/3rd the price of the Honda, it's hard to question the value.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #50

Love the Honda twins we have. I can even find parts if needed.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #51

Got mine in April. We took out on two camping trips so far after a thorough break-in. Over 20 hours on it and its been working flawlessly. For the price paid, I believe I got decent value. I only run Chevron high octane fuel with Seafoam and Lucas ethanol treatment in the gas, I have a dedicated gas can for just the generator. I ran the engine for a hour at no load and changed the oil. Ran a 2nd hour no load, changed the oil. Initial oil fill and 1st oil change, regular 10W30 and 2 ounces Lucas oil stabilizer. 2 oil change switched to synthetic 10W30 oil and the same 2 ounces of Lucas. The 3rd hour I ran it with about a 500 watt load on it then put the spurs to it by kicking on the trailer AC. It held that load with no issues. We will be taking it on another trip again this week and I do not expect any issues.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #52

I purchased my predator last year after buying our new trailer. Yes its 100 lbs but I can still lift it and put it on the ground from my pickup truck. Sometimes my wife gives me a hand or someone on camp site. I have more than 200hrs on this little monster and have yet to change the oil, which I will be doing this week-end. All this to say that I ran it on one fill up this past week-end for 21.5 hrs and I had to turn it off myself for a refill. I was extremely happy with it, all my camper friends can't beleive i am running this generator as it does not make much noise.
Dario
Dario Manna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Instead of using the power coupon use the 20% off coupon.. it takes the price down to about 599

Sorry to say that if you read the very small print on the 20% Off coupon it exempts all Predator Products. I know because I tried to use it and it was denied.

I bought mine when it was on sale and got a good deal on it. Mine runs like a champ (pun not intended!) and runs my 15k AC without the Easy Start just fine. Just wish it had a gas gauge.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #54

I change my oil every 50 hrs.... oil is cheap, motors are not.

HFT manual says 100 hrs, but that's too long for me.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario Manna View Post
I purchased my predator last year after buying our new trailer. Yes its 100 lbs but I can still lift it and put it on the ground from my pickup truck. Sometimes my wife gives me a hand or someone on camp site. I have more than 200hrs on this little monster and have yet to change the oil, which I will be doing this week-end. All this to say that I ran it on one fill up this past week-end for 21.5 hrs and I had to turn it off myself for a refill. I was extremely happy with it, all my camper friends can't beleive i am running this generator as it does not make much noise.
Dario
I hope that is a typo on the hours before your first oil change. Those import engines have a good bit of excess metal that wears off in the first few hours of operation. That's why I changed mine after hour 1 and 2. The second oil change it got synthetic oil has been in the machine for about 17 hours now. It will be changed by the time it hits 30 hours and every 30 hours after that.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #56

Predator Inverter 3500 No Start

Recently purchased a factory re-furbished Predator Inverter 3500 Generator from Harbor Freight for $575. We're expecting storms here in Central Louisiana so was testing everything, and had my Jayco Jay Feather with a 15K BTU air conditioner plugged up. Ran fine for about 30 minutes. But then went to an overload situation and quit. Now, it won't start. Fresh gas, NGK spark plug, spark arrestor clean. To try and remedy the problem, I disconnected the low oil sensor. I checked the air filter, and created more airflow by venting the cover. I have drained the carb bowl. But it will not start. It will turn over. But it never fires. Am I looking at carburetor issue?

By the way, Harbor Freight refused to exchange it. So I am stuck with it.

Thanks in advance.
KevBo725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #57

The only time that I had issue with mine not starting is when there was an issue with the way that I tightened the gas cap. Removed and retightened the cap and it started right up.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #58

Are you trying the electric start or pull start? Spark plug cap on tight? Are you get a spark AT the plug? Gas to cylinder? Needle jet in carb clean??