Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Preferences/ideas on A/C settings?

So we stayed in the new trailer over the weekend, and were having some difficulty with the air conditioning...

We generally like it to be quiet and consistent while we sleep, and the A/C running in its default situation doesn't accomplish that very well (IMO).

The problem we have is that when the unit cycles on, it gets cold and noisy, when it cycles off it gets warm very quickly, but it is nice and quiet. Ours is a 28 BHBE, so the "master bed" is separated from the main living area where the unit is located, so that helps some with the noise...

Who leaves the fan on? Do you have separate fans in the sleeping areas (like clip-on type...)? If you have a separate door to your "bedroom" do you close it or leave it open? Do you notice any difference either way? Any other ideas or suggestions?
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We don't have a separate bedroom.
The ceiling units are noisy, can't get around it.
When the comfort of a/c out ways the irritation of the noise, the a/c goes on :-)

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

A/C fan runs all time, don't even notice the compressor kicking on and off.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

It's noisy and I like it. I don't notice the compressor kicking on and off and I do notice it in some hotels when I'm traveling for work so our unit works well for us with the fan running all the time. I also like the fan-only mode when it's cold. Our unit is on the wall right over the bed.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

On hot days i'll keep it running when were not in it. When we eat inside off it goes. I hate the sound of it. When we come in for the night I shut it off and keep the windows closed to keep the cool air in. I'll run a table top fan(quite) and it stays fairly cool all night. Mine you are nighttime lows rarely go over 75 degrees. Our unit is on the ceiling in the middle of our trailer.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

We do one of two thing depending on the weather and the ambient "neighbor noise" at the cg. Either we run the fan on constant when sleeping with our without the A/C compressor (temperature depending), or we sleep with the windows open. Our unit is ducted and the bedroom is separated from the rest of the camper, but we usually leave the bedroom door open for the dog. The factory thermostats are notorious for inconsistent temperatures, we were very happy after we replaced ours with a residential digital unit.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #7

Your situation sounds better then mine dmax 83. If I had a separated room for sleeping I would probably leave in on with the door slightly ajar. I do like a little white noise to drown out " neighbour noise". When I wake up in the morning I open those windows to hear the birds. That's music to my ears.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #8

We do not close the door between bedroom and A/C ceiling unit, and just leave it on 75 degrees all night. We're used to the moderate noise, and it doesn't keep us awake. Only problem during the day is that A/C compressor won't come on until temp reaches 2 degrees above the set point, which may take awhile, all the time temp is noticeably warm. Then it comes on and won't quit until it reaches 1 degree below set point, which is sometimes a little cool. So we just readjust the set point every once in a while to remain comfortable.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #9

Yeah, so I think we're going to try it this weekend leaving the fan on and letting the compressor cycle on and off. Closing the door isn't really an option because of the dog, but I don't think the noise will be that big an issue anyway. I think as long as it is constant, we can get used to it. We may only need it on the first night anyway, it's supposed to get cooler on the Texas coast this weekend!!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #10

We ended up leaving the fan on low (but low is still pretty high on that unit) all night. I could feel the temperature difference when the compressor cycled on and off, but it wasn't as drastic a change. The noise level being consistent was the biggest help. The only thing I didn't like was not being able to hear what was going on around us. Being our first night (other than in our driveway), I felt a little uncomfortable not being able to hear what was going on outside, at least for the first night. The second night was much better, I relaxed a little more and was a bit more comfortable with my surroundings.

The cold front came in very early Sunday morning, so we were able to turn the A/C off when we woke up in the morning. Hopefully our trip next weekend, we won't have to use it at all...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)