Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #1

Pretty happy with jayco quality . . . so far.

Well, the season has now closed on my 2013 32bhds. I took a full six week trip when I first got it in July.

Only a few minor problems, poor caulking around the bathtub drain, and a bit of loose trim. My front electric stabilizer jack also stopped working, but that was a lippert (component) fault, rather than a Jayco issue. Frankly, I had expected more issues . . . a $24,000 trailer is not a 200,000 diesel pusher.

I know I have read some horror stories about new Jayco's, and that their quality has suffered in recent years. I feel bad for those owners. Thankfully that has not been my experience.

The main problem this summer was getting my Reese dual cam working right. It was improperly installed and I was left clueless on how to dial it in. Thanks to "Mike" from Georgia who was my guardian angel at a campground in Rapid City, N.D. Thanks to forum members too. Campers are great people.

Can't wait till next summer, now that I feel comfortable towing we are going the Rocky mountains, Banff and Jasper national parks.

Cheers.
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #2

Good story. I think almost all of us "Can't wait till next summer ...".

Your expectations about a new trailer were realistic and that's a big part of the good experience. IMO Jayco does have some quality control issues, but I don't believe a 100% problem free trailer is being manufactured by anyone - although it's a nice thought. Jayco and/or the dealer resolved all my "new" issues. So, my story is a lot like yours.

In the US Navy, new ships go out on "shake down" cruises to identify and fix problems before they go into regular service. (At least they used to.)
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

Hey Ensign let me know when you are going to Banff.. I host at some of the primitive CG's there in the summer
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Site Team

Its true that you hear some horror stories here, understandably someone that has a bunch of major problems is going to tell their story and they should. But the thousands of owners that have a unit performing as expected will likely never be heard from, because its doing just that, what they expect. Glad to hear your first season was a success.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #5

Ensign...I had similar expectations and experiences with my trailer when I bought it new in 2011. Other than a leaking outdoor shower and kitchen drawer that wouldn't lock into place properly, I was quite happy with the Jayco especially when both issues were corrected immediately at the dealership under warranty. After reading through back issues of Trailer Life magazine I can tell you that I wouldn't buy a Keystone product at gunpoint! If you don't believe me take a look back to 2010 and read the complaint letters of people who own them and the issues they have had to deal with. So in my books, comparitively, the Jayco is a clear winner in quality.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #6

Ensign, I'm so glad you've had a great experience with your 2013 32bhds. We've been extremely happy with our 2012 model and hope we both continue to be so.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvguy68 View Post
Ensign. After reading through back issues of Trailer Life magazine I can tell you that I wouldn't buy a Keystone product at gunpoint! If you don't believe me take a look back to 2010 and read the complaint letters of people who own them and the issues they have had to deal with. So in my books, comparitively, the Jayco is a clear winner in quality.

After all the issues we have had and continue to have I wish we had our old Keystone Montana back. It was trouble free compared to this Jayco.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #8

Had a few issues with our Jayco, just had the air conditioner replaced under warrenty yesterday, brake problems and a few other things but it is not like the Heartland we had. All in all I think the Jayco product is well worth the money, and the service is above and beyond great.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

Our 320 RLDS hasn't had any significant problems and only a very few minor ones. The fasteners for the pedestal table are necessarily short as it sits on a slide floor. They have pulled out a couple times, but I blame that on our five miles of bad road that can shake you to the bone at five or six mph over the washboard sections. Now I just lay it over on its side leaving and returning. So we're very happy that we have so few issues compared to others we read about.

We'll spend a few months in it this winter, and that will give us a final chance to take new issues to the dealer before our warranty times out in mid April.

Issues with Parcany, sure! But that's another story.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
Well, the season has now closed on my 2013 32bhds. I took a full six week trip when I first got it in July.

Only a few minor problems, poor caulking around the bathtub drain, and a bit of loose trim. My front electric stabilizer jack also stopped working, but that was a lippert (component) fault, rather than a Jayco issue. Frankly, I had expected more issues . . . a $24,000 trailer is not a 200,000 diesel pusher.

I know I have read some horror stories about new Jayco's, and that their quality has suffered in recent years. I feel bad for those owners. Thankfully that has not been my experience.

The main problem this summer was getting my Reese dual cam working right. It was improperly installed and I was left clueless on how to dial it in. Thanks to "Mike" from Georgia who was my guardian angel at a campground in Rapid City, N.D. Thanks to forum members too. Campers are great people.

Can't wait till next summer, now that I feel comfortable towing we are going the Rocky mountains, Banff and Jasper national parks.

Cheers.
Hi ensign, we also purchased a 2013 Jayco this summer. We had minor issues as well.....see below. I live approx 45 minutes from the Jayco factory and stopped in at customer service a few weeks back. I expressed my concern for the quality checks prior to leaving the factory. I documented (took pictures) the issues. I did fix the issues in question at the campground during our "shakedown" cruise. The person I spoke to said they would compensate me for resolving the problems myself. Last Wednesday I got a $150.00 rebate check from my dealer. I thought it was more than fair.

We just purchased our 2013 197 this past Wednesday, this camper is outstanding. We went to a local campground this weekend to shake things up. I crawled under the camper to inspect things. I found a couple of issues there. 1st, the sheet metal strap under my black holding tank was twisted in such a way that if left unchecked, it would have cut into the tank. 2nd, the clamp holding the propane hose to frame for the exterior grill accesory was twisted to the point it was kinking the hose. It was stretched out as well.

On the interior the TV would not get a signal. After confirming all the connections, I removed the wall plate where the coax cable plugs in and found the coax was not connected at the factory on the backside of the wall plate. Lastly, one of the exterior speakers would not work. After further investigating this, I also found the speaker wires were not connected. Fortunately, I was able to correct all these issues at the campground.

This is my second Jayco RV purchase since 2007. We upgraded from a 2007 17 Ex-Port. My concern is shouldn't these issues have been caught at the factory? I will be calling the factory tomorrow to let them know what I found. Am I wasting my time doing this?

Overall this camper is awesome. We also purchased all the available options except the electric tongue jack and everything works great. Any comments or further things to keep an eye out for would be appreciated.
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Its true that you hear some horror stories here, understandably someone that has a bunch of major problems is going to tell their story and they should. But the thousands of owners that have a unit performing as expected will likely never be heard from, because its doing just that, what they expect. Glad to hear your first season was a success.
Ensign, Glad to here you are happy. We are new Jayco owners with a 2013 and I have to say we are very happy with it. When we took it out for our first trip we had a very miner leak under the bathroom sink but I think the hose for the faucets was getting hit and it felt loose at the faucet connection. Once I tightened that we were OK. We are glad we have the Jayco Eagle and I think they did a very nice job with quality control.

DW,DS,DD and Riley (Goldendoodle)
dan222 is offline   Reply With Quote