Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #41

Sorry to hear about your issues. I’m can’t imagine how frustrating it must be. We all assume that everyone at the factory simply did their job and did it correctly. I mean seriously, just do it right the first time, we’ll, we all know that doesn’t happen 100% of the time.
I hope things get better for you.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #42

I have a 2009 Greyhawk and have had very few problems, I have heard that these years models and others close to it were better quality than new ones today. I am not sure. I am very concerned about trading it for a new model in the future, I have only 34k on the coach but everything has held up well exceptions were the rubber roof where they decided to put edging under the rubber and the corners try working thru roof eternabond fixed that but I am all over the thing after every trip, i made a list if we are out what needs attention and it gets done when we are home.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #43

Prevost

I know what you mean, they are awesome rigs! I live 30 min from Liberty Prevost in south florida, every time I pass it I want to stop in! Someday!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #44
Site Team

That would be way too close for me. Whenever I was late getting home, the DW would go there looking for me...with a towel to wipe the drool from my chin!! I'd just like to drive one someday, just to see if I'd like it!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #45

I'm sure they will get better, we have a top-notch dealer. My problem is I was a quality analyst for a major int. auto mfg. I'm also a cabinet maker so I tend to look at things with a more critical eye. I'm the same w/ my own work.
Lyonseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
For a motorhome I would take anything on a prevost chassis will be high-quality.
My neighbor just bought a used Essex MH ( Newmar). 2017 model, way north of $250K. It has spent more time in the last 2 months in the shop than my rig in 8 years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #47
CAG

I am new here so be gentle with me. However I am not new to RVs. Our current is our 3rd and we are looking at Jayco, for a fourth. Hence me being on the owner's site to view comments. The 5th wheel toy hauler that we currently own is 9 years old and I have been a member of that brands Web Site for that long. Nothing I read here is any different than that site. The same complaints about the same problems so let me make an observation here about common topics.

1. CW is as a general rule not customer friendly once the sale is made. Their repairs take too long and are shoddy.

2. Problems that involve appliances and other add on fixtures cannot really be blamed on the manufacturer. They do not make the furnace or the fridg, or the air conditioner so blaming them for those break downs is not fair or accurate.

3. You need to be able to do some general maintenance and repairs on your own or you rig will be in the shop more than on the road.

4. If you fail to do a proper PDI then you suffer the results. There are PDI lists available on the Web to help you inspect the unit before you drive it off the lot. Some dealers will let you live in it for a day or so on the lot to give it a going over. A good inspection will take all day and then some. Get a list and use it before you sign the final line. Failures will still happen period. If you fail to do that you cannot blame much of what happens later on the builder. You missed it!

When I bought this last house I had 4 pages of type written, single spaced items to be repaired or corrected. Workers are human and because of that mess things up at times so be prepared to find it and get it corrected.

I get tired of hearing that these things are "rolling earthquakes" but it really is true. Bouncing down pothole filled roads cause thing to break. It happens. Deal with it.

5. Some manufacturers will allow you to take the unit to independent repair shops rather than the dealer. DO IT. The dealer is more interested in getting new units ready to sell than fixing your problems.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #48

I would think there would already be a door to access the valve. Wow...all these little things can really be irritating especially if not blessed with do it yourself ability....I too was frustrated with the sensors but then my sister's KZ travel trailer does the same...barely use gray water tank and its full; use toilet a few times and black tank full....so yes, we wait for back up before dumping as well....but still not frusrated enough to switch yet.
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #49

Well as for all the accessories, breakdown etc that Jayco seems to be getting the blame for. If these things are continually ruining your recreation activities, it might be time to reassess the kind of rv you have or want to have and see if going with a more simple solution would be better.

I went with the Jay feather 20 BH which is about as simple as it gets in 2019. I don't like major breakdowns either, and almost all of the usage will be in Alaska and the Yukon so repair facilities are very few and far apart. With that in mind, some of the things my tt has that I consider advantages are:
No slides. These seem prone to failure no matter the brand or cost of the rv. It won't break if it isn't there.

Having a shorter travel trailer means fewer options, but smaller also means having a furnace that doesn't have long runs of flex ducting to disperse the heat. Why is that important? All that flex hose has a lot of resistance to the air movement. That means bigger blowers are required, and more drain on the batteries which towards morning on colder days can slow the movement down and I suspect this is a cause of some of the sail switches failures by not having enough air to fully activate them. Of course when they go in for repair, with the Batts charged up to full they work again so the mech signs it off. A direct heat duct straight from the furnace has minimum air restriction but these are in short trailers only.

Having a smaller rig makes manovering easier in traffic and also is lighter for the tow vehicle to pull. Also doesn't drag on the curbs with long overhangs.

Having fewer windows, and a lot of the other accessories that come with a larger trailer means fewer things to go wrong, leak, or otherwise break off.

But even a smaller rv is going to be prone to issues.. I'm fairly handy with the tools, being a retired electrician helps! But if you are not tool handy maybe not owning a rv, saving the money for motels, rental cabins, even rv rentals or air B&B types of holidays are the best for you. If you are wanting to snowbird, consider renting a house somewhere sunny..
eagle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #50

We originally bought a 24 year old RV, expecting problems, but it was so cheap we didn't care because any expense on our part was still pretty cheap.

After owning it for another 26 years (the old girl was now 50) we decided to upgrade just because. The Microwave and other niceties looked good to us.

We bought a cheap Jayco, knowing it was a bottom feeder. But again, it didn't matter because the price was so cheap and we figured any expense on our part was just the cost of buying cheap. Warranty didn't matter because we had no intention of taking it back to the dealer. We resolved to pay for repairs and/or fix it our self.

As it turned out, not one single repair needed and the unit is flawless. It was made on a Wednesday......LOL.

In any event, you takes your chances.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote