Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

Probably Our First and Last Jayco

We have a 2017 Jayco, that was supposed to stay at our property, but its been back for service so many times it's a frequent traveler.

The biggest issue is the grey water drain, or lack thereof. Since new it would drain then stop, then drain then stop. Of course every time we take it in they claim it worked fine. The grey water now is always a trickle, and the weird thing is that once I close the valve I'll get some gurgling. To see if it might be some sort of vent blockage, I pulled the AAV off the plumbing under the bathroom sink, but it didn't change the problem any. I tried running a snake up it, but couldn't get to the valve no matter how I maneuvered the thing. I think theres something blocking the outlet, but because of the polar package I'm sure its going to be a PIA to access it.

The next issue was a puddle of water showing up near the toilet. The dealer of course also could never find it... I finally found it was coming from the cold water connection to the outdoor shower. They hadn't cut a long enough piece of pex for it so they really stretched the piece they had so that it was torquing the connection enough to leak. Currently its just capped off until I decide to drag it back to the dealer again or just fix it myself.

Now our grey water sensor is no good in that it always reads full no matter what, so I just use it until the shower backs up.

Had to turn on the furnace last time I was up and was woke up in the night because I could hear it trying to light 3 or 4 times every time the furnace kicked on. Not sure if its the flame sensor or something else, but I guess I add it to the list of things to fix on this less than 2 year old unit.

Started looking at different models and the salesman was touting the "Jayco quality difference" I tried not to laugh too hard. Definitely not another for me...
Ubelongoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #2

Nothing you're describing sounds all that serious. All rv tank gauges are off. It's a known fact. Nothing to do with Jayco quality. No rv brand is perfect.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubelongoutside View Post
I think theres something blocking the outlet, but because of the polar package I'm sure its going to be a PIA to access it.
Most grey tanks don't gush out like the black tank and drain much slower. Also access to the valve is just a mater of cutting a door(3 sides and fold down) into the Corplast and then taping closed with Gorilla Tape, dealers do it everyday. As Studiovette said tank sensors are known to be inaccurate, been that way for years.

As to the furnace the same brand is used by multiple RV manufacturers.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Friend of mine at work has a Dutchman. His grey water tank wouldn't drain correctly from new. When he finally got brave enough to run a snake up through the grey water line, he pulled out a plastic bag that must have been in there since manufacture. You just never know what simple things can cause these types of problems.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #5

Once thing about Jayco is the 2 year warranty. Most are only one year. They all use the same components.

The grey tank discharge line is like 1.5" compared to the black tank's 3" pipe. A cowork had SOB 5ver, and the black tank acted like you said. They finally endoscope it. Found a plastic cut disk the fabricator dropped into the tank. They sold that 5ver.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

One thing about owning a RV. People have to be able to fix things themselves. Every trailer out there is going to have some problems, no matter what they cost. If trailer under warrenty take it back to dealer and tell them to fix it, if not fixed the way you think that it should be than get ahold of Jayco and tell them. They would most likely send somebody out to fix it. Like said before all trailer use the same tanks, stove, furnance etc and so it is just not a Jayco thing
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #7

We had a leak in our bathroom by the toilet after using the shower. Closer inspection showed where the vertical and horizontal aluminum door holders came together was not sealed. So use the shower and you get water on the floor. Bad design IMHO. 10 minutes and a tube of marine silicone solved that problem.

But it seems your expectations are high. A RV is a cheaply made (staples and light weight wood) house that bounces down the highway. If you are expecting a carefree life your expectations might be a little high.

EXPECT to be fixing stuff. Have a good toolbox and learn how the RV works..
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #8

I didn't realize, until we bought our 2016 White Hawk, that ultra-lite means fake, vinyl-clad wood everywhere. and faux everything. There are reasons that Airstreams are so heavy and expensive. Love my White Hawk, but now I know why I always see RVers doing repairs and maintenance in the campgrounds... when we tent camped we didn't get it. :-)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:08 PM   #9

I have bought 2 brand new houses. This is my first RV. Both houses took me about 2 years to work the bugs out. I had contractors cleaning their tiling tools in the sink which clogged the drain after a few weeks. I’ve had roof leaks that didn’t show up until a weather system that came in the right direction. I’ve had lazy plumbing issues. A Fireplace flew installed incorrectly and blew smoke into the house. That’s just a few. And neither of these houses were on wheels getting beat up on the roads. Your putting a family into a 300 sq. ft. house. I’ve learned You have to have a bit of patience and MacGyver capabilities. I’m trying to learn to the point I know the systems in and out. If I find some shotty work, I fix it to my standards. If I can’t, I raise hell with the dealer under warranty. I’ve never owned an RV before, but I expected this. I’m taking the approach, tweak out the bugs, understand the systems, know how to fix them and most importantly, be able to recognize an issue before it becomes a problem.

Best of luck going forward, in addition to user induced problems, I understand it can get frustrating to find a quality issues that looks obvious or seems lazy.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #10

Quote:
We have a 2017 Jayco, that was supposed to stay at our property, but its been back for service so many times it's a frequent traveler.

The biggest issue is the grey water drain, or lack thereof. Since new it would drain then stop, then drain then stop. Of course every time we take it in they claim it worked fine. The grey water now is always a trickle, and the weird thing is that once I close the valve I'll get some gurgling. To see if it might be some sort of vent blockage, I pulled the AAV off the plumbing under the bathroom sink, but it didn't change the problem any. I tried running a snake up it, but couldn't get to the valve no matter how I maneuvered the thing. I think theres something blocking the outlet, but because of the polar package I'm sure its going to be a PIA to access it.

The next issue was a puddle of water showing up near the toilet. The dealer of course also could never find it... I finally found it was coming from the cold water connection to the outdoor shower. They hadn't cut a long enough piece of pex for it so they really stretched the piece they had so that it was torquing the connection enough to leak. Currently its just capped off until I decide to drag it back to the dealer again or just fix it myself.

Now our grey water sensor is no good in that it always reads full no matter what, so I just use it until the shower backs up.

Had to turn on the furnace last time I was up and was woke up in the night because I could hear it trying to light 3 or 4 times every time the furnace kicked on. Not sure if its the flame sensor or something else, but I guess I add it to the list of things to fix on this less than 2 year old unit.

Started looking at different models and the salesman was touting the "Jayco quality difference" I tried not to laugh too hard. Definitely not another for me...
Our LP furnace failed after two weeks, on a brand new unit. We were on a four month trip. CW failed to fix it, twice. Another Atwood warranty Rv service "fixed" it with a new igniter switch. Worked a few times then failed. When we finished our trip CW had our unit for 5months for warranty issues and claimed they fixed the furnace. After a few days use it failed again.. Back to a CW far from home....we are on the road again. They ordered the wrong part. We drove across town and bought one. CW wouldn't install it until three days later and we had reservations to meet that day.
We installed it ourselves. $20 part smaller than the end of your thumb. The symptoms were the fan would start and run for 30 seconds based on thermostat and turn off after 30 seconds because the ignition failed to light. Nothing was wrong with the ignitor, it was the sail switch failing. We have used it over past two months with no further issues.
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #11
Site Team

Ladies and gentleman. This thread appears to be going nowhere productively. I appreciate everyone's frustration, with the problems that have shown up on your particular RVs. I have been there, also, as noted in the above post about an experience 23 years ago. It was only to show that these experiences are nothing new. The Forum is here for you, to help those with questions about their RV's systems, or where components are located, and how they work. It's also here to solicit others opinions on subjects, so they can make an informed decision. A place to post appropriate humor, or classifieds ads, and a lot more. It's here for your education and enjoyment.

The following is a quote from the Community Rules, which is available to all in total, at the bottom of the page.

"Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden."

Thank you

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #12

Seriously? A failing furnace is not a small matter. Ours failed on a new unit after a few uses. 5 different warranty techs, three different CW dealerships plus another ....over a year failed to fix it. Recently another uselessCW dealership ordered the wrong part. We found the correct part and fixed it ourself. Jayco told us ALL repairs under warranty had to go through Jayco...not Atwoood, Dominic etc. Jayco and CW stink. We will never buy another Jayco. They refuse to fix our leaking window, and messed up awning. Btw, the grey water drains a little slower than black water but should drain.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Nothing you're describing sounds all that serious. All rv tank gauges are off. It's a known fact. Nothing to do with Jayco quality. No rv brand is perfect.
Seriously? A failing furnace is not a small matter. Ours failed on a new unit after a few uses while on a four month trip. 5 different warranty techs, three different CW dealerships plus another ....over a year failed to fix it. Recently another uselessCW dealership ordered the wrong part and expected us to leave our unit for four days until they got the right one. We found the correct part in less than an hour 10 minutes away from CW and fixed it ourself. Jayco told us ALL repairs under warranty had to go through Jayco...not Atwoood, Dominic etc. Jayco and CW stink. We will never buy another Jayco. They refuse to fix our leaking window, and messed up awning arm. Btw, the grey water drains a little slower than black water but should drain steadily. I do not understand why you would come on here and pooh pooh someone else's difficulties. It reminds me of the way the CW techs and Jayco have treated us on the NUMEROUS issues gone wrong almost immediately following our purchase of a brand new unit. A failed furnace is a very serious problem.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Seriously? A failing furnace is not a small matter. Ours failed on a new unit after a few uses while on a four month trip. 5 different warranty techs, three different CW dealerships plus another ....over a year failed to fix it. Recently another uselessCW dealership ordered the wrong part and expected us to leave our unit for four days until they got the right one. We found the correct part in less than an hour 10 minutes away from CW and fixed it ourself. Jayco told us ALL repairs under warranty had to go through Jayco...not Atwoood, Dominic etc. Jayco and CW stink. We will never buy another Jayco. They refuse to fix our leaking window, and messed up awning arm. Btw, the grey water drains a little slower than black water but should drain steadily. I do not understand why you would come on here and pooh pooh someone else's difficulties. It reminds me of the way the CW techs and Jayco have treated us on the NUMEROUS issues gone wrong almost immediately following our purchase of a brand new unit. A failed furnace is a very serious problem.
Seriously???? Lol. You took the time to point that out to me?? Re read his post. He mentions the most serious issue he's having is his grey tank not draining properly. And faults his tank gauges as well. Those are issues every rv owner faces at one point. This sounds like inexperience to me. I would take those issues any day of the week. I was the same way with my 1st Jayco. I had no idea why these things were happening until I did some research.

There is no mention of a failing furnace. You can't come to that conclusion. What he describes could be anything. A simple fix or yes it could be complex. Did Jayco make the furnace system? Ooh maybe camping world did. Lol.
I can understand bashing a manufacturer for build quality or their lack of wanting to help. I've been dealing with Jayco for weeks now about a broken over cab tv. They said they would replace it and reimburse me the day I emailed them about it. This was over a month ago. They have stood behind other issues so I am trusting they will. You need to be persistent and patient. This is the rv industry today. They are obviously overwhelmed with inquiries. But I'm not gonna come on here saying I will never buy a Jayco. Go buy a starcraft or Forest river and see the seious types ot issues those brands have.

Btw. My brand new 2018 Greyhawks furnace took days of me purging the air out of the propane lines to stay light. It would cycle on and off every couole of munutes. I am no hvac guy. Everyone I spoke to was convinced it was a bad unit and the Advice I received on here and thru others pointed to a bad unit needing to be replaced. The dealership wanted me to bring it in also. That major problem ended up being air in the propane lines. Just air.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:05 AM   #15

A common defense of trailer quality with regard to the devices the manufacturer installs in their trailer box is that the manufacturer did not build the TV, microwave, air conditioner, heater, slide motor system, etc. That's true. However, that rationale can not be an acceptable defense of trailer quality. The trailer manufacturer wrote the specifications they require, bought the device, installed it, and warranties it. If that device fails, it most certainly is the manufacturer's fault.

So there's nothing to be concerned about if trailer tank gauges often quit working? A large failure rate immunizes the manufacturer from responsibility for the failures? Nonsense.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
I have bought 2 brand new houses. This is my first RV. Both houses took me about 2 years to work the bugs out. I had contractors cleaning their tiling tools in the sink which clogged the drain after a few weeks. I’ve had roof leaks that didn’t show up until a weather system that came in the right direction. I’ve had lazy plumbing issues. A Fireplace flew installed incorrectly and blew smoke into the house. That’s just a few
But that never happens according to many posters... You should demand the builder buy it back......

We just had some friends buy a new $300,000 house and the day they moved in no hot water in the master shower. Two weeks and 8 holes cut into the wall
later, they found a pinched water line. Luckily they had the guest bathroom to use in the interim.

The same applies to the appliances. The builder doesn't repair them if they fail under warranty, you call the manufacturers service line. Furnace goes out you call the furnace guy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again the vast majority of RV owners have few and mostly minor issues, but you never hear from them.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #17

Quote:
There have been numerous reports of furnace problems and most seem to be resolved by freeing up the air flow switch paddle. If the air flow switch doesn't close soon enough when the furnace fires, it will shut down. Most of the causes seem to be accumulated dust and or spider webs. This particularly true of units that are not used frequently.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #18

Quote:
The biggest issue is the grey water drain, or lack thereof. Since new it would drain then stop, then drain then stop.
I would recommend buying an inexpensive endoscope. They make $15 - $20 ones that you can connect to a smart phone or a computer via USB. Just drop it down a drain and see what is going on. The one I have is 17' long and works great. It's flaky when I use it on my smartphone, but works without issue on my laptop.

I wouldn't worry about the tank sensors, they aren't usually accurate. Since you leave the RV at your site, just leave the grey tank valve open. We camp seasonally and leave ours (both grey tanks) open the entire 5 months we are there. It doesn't close until we remove the sewer hose. The black tank valve stays closed all the time except to dump and then rinse.

I can't really help with the furnace, sorry.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #19

What ever your decision is, keeping your foot on their necks is a sure way to get attention. "START A PAPER LOG" While my NP was in the dealer for warranty work, I was on the phone to Jayco talking to the warranty department. Jayco's policy is they assign a person to track/investigate each claim with your unit. Keep a log of who is assigned at Jayco, what number is assigned and what is being done. Dealers tend to be under staffed, under educated, and unwilling to accept help (squeeky wheel get the oil). I have often been told to wait until the dealer hears from Jayco. And, then there's the waiting on parts authorization. Dealers will let your repairs stretch out until the warranty ends. In either case demand answers from Jayco and the dealer.

It's your Jayco not theirs now.. Good Luck!!

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #20

Clearly, this thread shows everybody's expectations (in terms of owning an RV) are different.

We've owned a number of TT's and a 5th wheels from different manufacturers. We consider ourselves pretty proficient DIY'rs, and have been lucky enough to fix 98% of our problems without a visit to a dealer.

That being said, we sold our last TT almost a year ago. So glad to see it go. We simply got tired of fixing things 24/7 on all our TT's and 5th wheels. I can't tell you how many RV'rs we met on the road that had what we considered serious problems (leaks, electrical issues, etc.)---but still managed to smile and enjoy their rigs. Again, it boils downs to expectations.

Bottom line, owning an RV is not for everyone. If you're one that typically goes with the flow, and doesn't sweat the small stuff, then you may be a good candidate for RV ownership. If you're one that demands any kind of perfection, owning an RV may not be the best stress-buster for weekend getaways.

My two cents
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote