Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

Professional drivers' use of side mirrors

A question to all those with formal truck driving training...

The passenger side, side-mirror.

Is it common practice to adjust the flat glass such that the driver needs to physically move their head and torso to see the best field of view?

Or is it taught that the driver should be able to just turn their head and the flat is adjusted for that viewpoint?

Thanks.

2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Sounds like a loaded question, but as a driver trainer and road test examiner I will answer it. The "West Coast" Mirrors should be adjusted so that they look right down the side of the trailer. I adjust mine so that I barely see the side of the rig in the mirrors with just a slight turn of the head giving me the widest field of view in the lane next to the rig. I can also see my drive tires and trailer tires. The convex mirror I adjust so that I can barely see the rig giving me the widest field of view away from the rig. I also use fender mirrors to help fill in the blind spots which do exist on both sides of the rig. I tell motorcycle riders often to not ride on the fog line because I can't see you. I tell them to ride in the middle of the lane or the left side of the lane. Same thing for cars. If you drift too far to the right a big truck may not see you. Drivers should keep track of other vehicles to anticipate where they are and where they are going to be to avoid losing them in a blind spot and prevent "conflicts." Just my two cents...

wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #3

I'm not a professional driver, and perhaps I'm missing something, but why would you not adjust it for the best view?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I'm not a professional driver, and perhaps I'm missing something, but why would you not adjust it for the best view?
Unfortunately many people drive with their high beam lights on and the huge mirrors reflect this light coming from vehicles behind the truck right into truck driver's eyes blinding them. So many drivers find it necessary to slightly adjust their mirrors so that they have to move their torso to use the mirrors thus avoiding being blinded.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #5

No loaded question here, just a desire to gain education from those who have the education. Not sure why that remark, but thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
No loaded question here, just a desire to gain education from those who have the education. Not sure why that remark, but thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it.
Simple, you may have an "agenda" because of an incident you may have had. Unfortunately, I have them almost everyday due to "road rage" etc. I tell my wife that when I go to work now it is like going to war... I long for easier times like back in the 60's and 70's. There are just too many cars and not enough road.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

No incidents for me. I admit I'm like 99% of the so-called "expert RVers" on these inter web forums, I'm just a weekend warrior. I like to think I'm a good pickup truck and trailer driver, but I'm self taught... Like the rest of the weekend warriors on here!

I figured a person who is paid to drive a commercial vehicle has some wisdom to impart on all of us, even though most would never admit they could use some education. I've struggled with setting the flat glass mirrors that are installed as bolt on upgrades, since all the big three manufacturers have taught generations of drivers that "objects are closer than they appear" on OEM convex side mirrors.

Sorry the roads are so tough on drivers. I do my best to leave plenty of room. Without commercial truck traffic, this country would wither away within a week. So thanks again to the drivers.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

Good info about mirror adjustments.
Personally when towing my FW I prefer to be around big rig drivers. More knowledgeable about stopping distances and momentum. They are not all perfect.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #9

Anyone here interested in what was and is happening in the big truck world regarding mirrors, take a look at this site. Important info there for the light truck or car driver to be very aware of. http://www.joc.com/trucking-logistic..._19880307.html
Lynford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynford View Post
Anyone here interested in what was and is happening in the big truck world regarding mirrors, take a look at this site. Important info there for the light truck or car driver to be very aware of. http://www.joc.com/trucking-logistic..._19880307.html
This sounds like they are good articles but I don't need another password and signon just to read articles. Thanks anyway.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote