Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Progressive EMS PT 50C

Two nights ago with no storms in the area lost all power. Went out to pedestal and unit was scrolling read outs like always so assumed momentary power loss and went back in waiting for reset which never happened. Went back out and now had error code E10 replace unit. Progressive customer service is outstanding, after hours tech called me right back and said something took a hit and will need a replacement.
Now for the hard part, to decide to hook up without protection for the night. Well I did since AC is a must and thankfully no problems. Went to CW yesterday and bought the mid line surge protector until my replacement unit arrives Monday.
There are no burn marks on any of the plug prongs so I cannot be sure if unit did its job or just failed. Either way Progressive customer service is outstanding.
Never considered needing a back up surge protector but I now will have one. You all might consider spending a hundred bucks on a back up so u can have piece of mind after a primary goes out.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #2

Love my Progressive EMS and its saved us a couple of times. Primarily use the 50A unit, but have the original 30A unit as a backup.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:45 AM   #3

I bought my first PT50C 7-8 years ago and like the OP was concerned about being not protected if this unit had to go back for warranty/service. So I bought a second PT50C as a spare. September 2016 the park where I am hosting then and now had a bad storm. Lightning hit a pine tree about 1/4 mile from my site and also took out the main water line into the campground. Then the strike followed the water line to the electrical system knocking out one leg on my PT50C. Others in the same area as me had significant damage since they did not have any protection.

I put my half dead PT50C in a USPS Large Flat Rate Box and shipped it off to PI after putting my spare in service. A few days later I received a replacement which was the PT50X with the socket cover.

Fast Forward to March 2017. I was in a major thunderstorm at another camp site and my other PT50C got wet with the horizontal rain/wind. Off it went to PI after putting my replacement PT50X in service. Again, a few days later a replacement PT50X arrived.

Fast Forward to September 2017. The LED indicator on my PT50X failed. The unit was working, but no LED indication. Put my spare unit in service and off to PI again with the one with the dead LED's. Received an email yesterday that a replacement had been shipped.

There are a couple of key issues with this history. I full time and am exposed to much more power issues than weekenders or non-full time RV'ers. I have even been saved at my home base site twice due to high voltage that the power company didn't even know was happening. My tolerance for potential electrical problems is pretty low.

PI is a superior company with superior products and even better customer service.

I will NEVER plug in anywhere/anytime without a PI50X in line. Having two of them is a bit pricey, but much cheaper than RV damage. And when one of them does take a damaging hit a few minutes swapping them out and I'm back to normal.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

Ed,
You belong on TV advert'ing for PI. I haven't exercised the PI cust service like you but I've found it to be excellent. I called tech support on a Sunday afternoon and left a message, got a call back about 30 min later.
The only complaint I've heard is "they're too $$$".
Nope, there's some things that one should not "cheap out" on.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #5

Ed
X2 on your comments about backup and customer service. I searched everyone around to get a back up and best I could do was the other brand unit at CW. At least I have something while waiting but the first night was a nail bitter without protection.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
bap

Ed, your lighting strikes must have really made your calendar fast forward if you have gotten to September 2017 already. Glad to hear the Progressive Industry's unit did the job and you have had great costumer service from them.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Ed, your lighting strikes must have really made your calendar fast forward if you have gotten to September 2017 already. Glad to hear the Progressive Industry's unit did the job and you have had great costumer service from them.
Oops! My typing isn't as good as PI's customer service.

Should have typed August 2017 vs September.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 08-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Ed
X2 on your comments about backup and customer service. I searched everyone around to get a back up and best I could do was the other brand unit at CW. At least I have something while waiting but the first night was a nail bitter without protection.
Rock
I agree.