Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #1

Propane and propane accessories

I have a question about freezing temperatures and propane.

The question may appear ignorant; please know that we live in SE Texas where it doesn't freeze often. We are currently all in flood recovery, and we are at deep freezing temperatures during the past few nights.

Dh went to start our propane grill today for lunch, and we couldn't get the grill to light. It was like there was no propane getting to the igniter.

Most of my neighbors are in travel trailers while their homes are being rebuilt. I noticed one of my neighbors checking out their propane tanks. When I asked, she told me that their pipes were frozen and that they had no heat and couldn't get their stove in the TT to start.

I looked at their pipes, and I suspected they needed more than our typical wrapping, but it didn't appear that any had busted.

What I don't understand is why we can't get propane. What happened there?
FWIW, we don't normally get temps this low. We have been in the upper teens or low 20s in the area for the last two nights, and we will be in the low 20s tonight. We were above freezing for a few hours today.

Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #2

The freezing point of LP is -45 degrees F. I know that is not your issue. All materials excluding water, shrink in cold temps and if your tanks are low then it may not be getting to the exhaust port to feed your appliance? Make sure that your tanks are full and being in Texas you should not have any LP feed issues unless there is moisture in the lines which may freeze and cause a small block in the feed line. A small freezing point will not burst the pipe. If your tank is full then try feeling or bending the line (unless it is rigid copper) to see if there is a small freezing point.

Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 5 YO Daughter
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I have a question about freezing temperatures and propane.

The question may appear ignorant; please know that we live in SE Texas where it doesn't freeze often. We are currently all in flood recovery, and we are at deep freezing temperatures during the past few nights.

Dh went to start our propane grill today for lunch, and we couldn't get the grill to light. It was like there was no propane getting to the igniter.

Most of my neighbors are in travel trailers while their homes are being rebuilt. I noticed one of my neighbors checking out their propane tanks. When I asked, she told me that their pipes were frozen and that they had no heat and couldn't get their stove in the TT to start.

I looked at their pipes, and I suspected they needed more than our typical wrapping, but it didn't appear that any had busted.

What I don't understand is why we can't get propane. What happened there?
FWIW, we don't normally get temps this low. We have been in the upper teens or low 20s in the area for the last two nights, and we will be in the low 20s tonight. We were above freezing for a few hours today.
Just curious if you just had the tank filled. I just had mine filled and the bozo had no idea what he was doing (and he had difficulty with english so I couldn't help him). He filled both of my tanks without opening the 80% fill vent, but instead pumped until it stopped. Furnace nor stove would light so hooked them up to my propane firepit and burned some off. Worked fine after that.

2013 Eagle 29.5RKS
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #4

You could have moisture in the tank and that will cause freezing. I have a second garage that I heat from a 500 gallon propane tank, in the past I had a few problems with freezing. Now at the start of the season with an empty tank the propane supplier adds anhydrous methanol before filling and I have never had a freezing problem since. Talk to your propane supplier and see what they can do.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #5

A Hank Hill reference??
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post

A Hank Hill reference??
Who is Hank Hill
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #7

Low temps prevent the propane from changing from liquid to gas at a rate that is sufficient for your needs. Exacerbated by tanks that are not full.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Just curious if you just had the tank filled. I just had mine filled and the bozo had no idea what he was doing (and he had difficulty with english so I couldn't help him). He filled both of my tanks without opening the 80% fill vent, but instead pumped until it stopped. Furnace nor stove would light so hooked them up to my propane firepit and burned some off. Worked fine after that.
According to the newest regulations, they don't recommend opening the vent screw except on a new tank when purging. This has been a change in the last few years. Most likely you had frost on the value which may of prevented the flow.

It's government at it's best
Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #9

Parked in the sun?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #10
Site Team

Last trip out it was in the 20's. I took a empty tank to have it filled and the attendant could not get it to fill. She said it was to cold and the valve kept freezing.

I took the 2 gallons just in case.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote