Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #11

I have the little red campfire. We use it when we just want to hang outside for a short time and not be bothered with a big fire. I bought a separate 20lb LP to fuel that and our Coleman grill and in 3 outings the 20lb is almost exhausted, I would not connect it to the camper lP supply for that reason.

It's cute, and very convenient, but if you enjoy the roaring hot fire from wood, you'll be disappointed with the little red. If you want to add a little ambiance to your site, then it's a nice addition.

Smore's don't cook that well with the little red and I get a little concerned about cleaning the ceramic logs from marshmallow droppings so I remove the logs when cooking Smore's.

All in all, we enjoy the little red, but I would only do it with a separate propane container.

Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #12

Thank you all. We bought it b/c of fire bans in the area we are going... should be a nice replacement for wood fire. I think we're going to bring a separate propane tank too. I thought the regulator part was actually on the hose, not on the appliance itself - and it's the end that attaches to the propane tank. I'll have to examine it more carefully but I was thinking a different type of hose might work to connect to the main LP supply on the RV, but that doesn't seem like the way we'll go this time around. Thanks for the help!

kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #13

On my little red, the regulator and the flame control knob are one in the same making it very difficult to adapt to RV propane.
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #14

I bought the Sam's club one last year for the same reasons. This one is bigger around than the litt'l red and uses lava rocks. Anyway, for weekend adventures last year (when it was dry around here) a single grill tank was enough for us. Cooking over it is about the same as over a grill with lava rocks, but we use a disco for most outdoor cooking.

Looked on the Sams site and don't see the one we bought for $65 last year - but overall, very happy with it

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #15

We have a fire ban again and this time they included " decorative propane fireplaces ". Disappointed. Just bought the thing.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #16

Just an update: we used our propane campfire this weekend in WA. Strangely even though there is a statewide fire ban in WA, we were told that at our campground there was no fire ban. Possibly we were in one of those unincorporated areas that is an exception to the ban, but I don't know for sure. In any event, we brought along a 10# tank and used that, but on one night we also hooked up to our main RV tank - just disconnected tank #2 and connected the campfire hose directly to that. I think if we were going to try for some sort of quick connect to the RV (ie without disconnected the existing connections) we would have needed some sort of an adapter hose.

Paul, I see you are in White Rock. where are you camping that they excluded decorative propane fireplaces?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #17

I remember ready reviews on Amazon on those. If I recall, "they suck the propane down like no tomorrow" was many of the reviews !!
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #18

Yes they will suck the propane on high setting...we keep it on low and find it more than adequate. Still cheaper than the firewood at the campsite and great for campfire bans...it was weird having vitually the only campfire going on our last camping trip.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #19

We also kept ours on low. The 10# tank was not full at all, maybe half when we started and that amount lasted two full nights.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
Just an update: we used our propane campfire this weekend in WA. Strangely even though there is a statewide fire ban in WA, we were told that at our campground there was no fire ban. Possibly we were in one of those unincorporated areas that is an exception to the ban, but I don't know for sure. In any event, we brought along a 10# tank and used that, but on one night we also hooked up to our main RV tank - just disconnected tank #2 and connected the campfire hose directly to that. I think if we were going to try for some sort of quick connect to the RV (ie without disconnected the existing connections) we would have needed some sort of an adapter hose.

Paul, I see you are in White Rock. where are you camping that they excluded decorative propane fireplaces?

I was camping at Sunnyside at Cultus lake last weekend. Their website said no decorative propane fires but signs at the site say you can.

http://www.cultuslake.bc.ca/latest-n...further-notice

Will find out for sure next time I'm there.