Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #1

Propane campfire - anyone have one? Question

Hi all,

I just assigned DH to go and buy an Outland Fire Bowl (it was on sale at an RV place near his work.) He went and bought without question, but now I have a question! If we want to connect to the 30 lb LP tanks on our TT, do we need a special hose or a special regulator? I vaguely recall on our initial walkthrough that the dealer told us something about certain propane appliances being regulated differently so as to require a different connection ... anyway I admit I wasn't fully comprehending what she said.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

I have little help for you, but I'm very interested in how this goes! I was thinking that would be a neat gizmo for us. Since we have so much drought, a highly controlled propane fire might be something we could use when an actual fire might be a little too dangerous...

My limited knowledge tells me that it has to be regulated one way or another. Your QC (if you have one) is already regulated. However, if you hook directly up to a tank, I would assume you need a regulator somewhere. Perhaps there's one built in?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #3

I don't know if we have a quick connect - I guess the answer is probably no if I don't know. Hmm. I shall have to read the instructions when I get home, always a good place to start (always the last place DH ever starts...)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #4

I have a propane fireplace and it came with a hose with a regulator on it. My trailer has a low pressure outlet for the BBQ but you don't want to use that. You could directly connect it to one of the 30 lb tanks. I just bring a spare 20 lb tank.

Great thing to have when there's a fire ban.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #5

We bought one, but haven't used yet. I agree it will be great when there is a fire ban, or at RV parks that don't allow fire pits.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #6

I've been looking those, as well! Just curious as to how long a 20 lb tank will last if you just do a normal, medium sized campfire for 2-3 hours a night. And can you cook over it?

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

I got 3 extended evenings with friends out of a 20 lb tank. Not sure how many hours that was but the propane was a lot cheaper then the wine involved. You can raise or lower the flame on my Costco model and low seems to use a lot less propane.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #8

We bought one from Costco a couple years ago and have used it during fire bans. It does use a fair bit of propane like others have said. Mostly use it in the backyard as the city doesn't allow open fires in the city limits.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #9

Yes, there are fire bans in WA right now which is where we are headed.... I think you probably CAN cook over them but they don't really recommend it, it probably isn't safety tested for that.

The hose is only 10' long so I'm a bit hesitant to connect directly to the 30lb tanks on the front. Perhaps some sort of propane extension hose or something...
Old 07-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #10

I have one, it is great, to hook to the gas port of your trailer if it is equipped will require the removal of the regulator on the fire pit since the trailer's propane is regulated already and a new hose with a quick disconnect coupler to fit the trailer's propane port. If you leave the regulator on, it will reduce the gas pressure too much and you will not be happy with the flame. Mine will last 2-3 days depending on what setting I have it on...I only used it in the evenings for about 3 hours. I carry a dedicated 20 lb propane cyl in a milk crate.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #11

I have the little red campfire. We use it when we just want to hang outside for a short time and not be bothered with a big fire. I bought a separate 20lb LP to fuel that and our Coleman grill and in 3 outings the 20lb is almost exhausted, I would not connect it to the camper lP supply for that reason.

It's cute, and very convenient, but if you enjoy the roaring hot fire from wood, you'll be disappointed with the little red. If you want to add a little ambiance to your site, then it's a nice addition.

Smore's don't cook that well with the little red and I get a little concerned about cleaning the ceramic logs from marshmallow droppings so I remove the logs when cooking Smore's.

All in all, we enjoy the little red, but I would only do it with a separate propane container.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #12

Thank you all. We bought it b/c of fire bans in the area we are going... should be a nice replacement for wood fire. I think we're going to bring a separate propane tank too. I thought the regulator part was actually on the hose, not on the appliance itself - and it's the end that attaches to the propane tank. I'll have to examine it more carefully but I was thinking a different type of hose might work to connect to the main LP supply on the RV, but that doesn't seem like the way we'll go this time around. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #13

On my little red, the regulator and the flame control knob are one in the same making it very difficult to adapt to RV propane.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #14

I bought the Sam's club one last year for the same reasons. This one is bigger around than the litt'l red and uses lava rocks. Anyway, for weekend adventures last year (when it was dry around here) a single grill tank was enough for us. Cooking over it is about the same as over a grill with lava rocks, but we use a disco for most outdoor cooking.

Looked on the Sams site and don't see the one we bought for $65 last year - but overall, very happy with it

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #15

We have a fire ban again and this time they included " decorative propane fireplaces ". Disappointed. Just bought the thing.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #16

Just an update: we used our propane campfire this weekend in WA. Strangely even though there is a statewide fire ban in WA, we were told that at our campground there was no fire ban. Possibly we were in one of those unincorporated areas that is an exception to the ban, but I don't know for sure. In any event, we brought along a 10# tank and used that, but on one night we also hooked up to our main RV tank - just disconnected tank #2 and connected the campfire hose directly to that. I think if we were going to try for some sort of quick connect to the RV (ie without disconnected the existing connections) we would have needed some sort of an adapter hose.

Paul, I see you are in White Rock. where are you camping that they excluded decorative propane fireplaces?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #17

I remember ready reviews on Amazon on those. If I recall, "they suck the propane down like no tomorrow" was many of the reviews !!
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #18

Yes they will suck the propane on high setting...we keep it on low and find it more than adequate. Still cheaper than the firewood at the campsite and great for campfire bans...it was weird having vitually the only campfire going on our last camping trip.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #19

We also kept ours on low. The 10# tank was not full at all, maybe half when we started and that amount lasted two full nights.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
Just an update: we used our propane campfire this weekend in WA. Strangely even though there is a statewide fire ban in WA, we were told that at our campground there was no fire ban. Possibly we were in one of those unincorporated areas that is an exception to the ban, but I don't know for sure. In any event, we brought along a 10# tank and used that, but on one night we also hooked up to our main RV tank - just disconnected tank #2 and connected the campfire hose directly to that. I think if we were going to try for some sort of quick connect to the RV (ie without disconnected the existing connections) we would have needed some sort of an adapter hose.

Paul, I see you are in White Rock. where are you camping that they excluded decorative propane fireplaces?

I was camping at Sunnyside at Cultus lake last weekend. Their website said no decorative propane fires but signs at the site say you can.

http://www.cultuslake.bc.ca/latest-n...further-notice

Will find out for sure next time I'm there.