Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2021, 04:14 AM   #1

Propane fridge burning hot

Hey jaycoers. My power went out and the gas turned on for the fridge. I thought nothing of it got on my laptop and started browsing and whatnot. Then I noticed it was getting really hot like a heater was on. I started feeling the Cabinetry around the fridge and it was burning hot. Like I couldn't even keep my hand on it I was worried it was going to start a fire so I turned it off and just waited for the power to come back. I don't think it can be normal to get that hot. Maybe the vent on top is blocked or something? I guess I'm going to have to look up some YouTube videos. If you have any advice please share thank you
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:25 AM   #2

Hot Walls

I can't say yours is "normal" without knowing more, pics of your install and venting.

Current brand new 5er had very hot cabinets next to fridge running on gas. No insulation in wall from factory. I insulated with fiberglass and covered with aluminum tape, way better.

One thing that has amazed me is how the RV gas refrigerator's flue is terminated into basically a wooden box! I pulled a RV fridge from my old (1978) m/h and found scorch marks on the paneling behind it at the top of the flue. It got a piece of aluminum on the wall before reinstalling that fridge.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #3

This is my fridge norcold. Painted the doors black. I cant think it was normal that's how hot it was. I was truly grateful it didnt start a fire. I marked where the heat was in pic. The other side was warm too but not burning fire hot. I should felt what the outside behind the fridge felt like. I've never looked at the vent before. Going to watch some YouTube videos
Attached Thumbnails
20210706_075817.jpg   20210706_080231.jpg  
Old 07-06-2021, 07:05 AM   #4

Hot walls

I guess I should have been more clear, pics of the outside, open the outside vents and see how it's installed.
Yes, the burner and flue are right behind that wall that you state is hot.
TS3 Hitch
Old 07-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I guess I should have been more clear, pics of the outside, open the outside vents and see how it's installed.
Yes, the burner and flue are right behind that wall that you state is hot.
X-2

The insulation that they usually put there may have fallen down.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #6

Ok I'll try get some pics. I know the vent on top is caulked over the screws smh. So that should be fun. I do notice its a little warm even when running electric but just a little. Not worried seems normal. But When the propane is on I can't keep my hand there for 2 seconds without burning. I did read somewhere else about insulation can fall and block so thanks . I guess I'm gonna have to remove the roof vent to see?

While were on the fridge topic. What do you keep the temp setting at? 1-5 on mine. Looks like it's on 2.5 lol. I just left it where the previous owner had it set. I noticed ice building up all on the back in the freezer. Is this normal? Cant if have anything to do with the venting? Or I guess I'm goin to have to defrost it every few months...?
Old 07-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #7

I have a side vent on mine and took some pics up and down the vents. On mine there is no insulation between the heat stack and the plywood wall between the fridge and the sink area. Also, only a metal plate vented the heat outside. I am adding insulation above the metal plate and sealing leaks of hot air up under the cabinet which gets hot. This should also encourage flow to the outside. I have ordered two 12 volt computer fans to suck air out.
If anyone knows where to get thin but stiff insulation that I could glue to the plywood near the burner I would appreciate it knowing where to get some. Only need a 6 inch by 18 inch piece.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If anyone knows where to get thin but stiff insulation that I could glue to the plywood near the burner I would appreciate it knowing where to get some. Only need a 6 inch by 18 inch piece.
The factory uses fiberglass insulation. Are you the original owner?
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:12 PM   #9

Got some pictures from the side vent underneath but couldn't really see much.
Attached Thumbnails
20210706_130048.jpg   20210706_130147.jpg   20210706_130321.jpg   20210706_130343.jpg   20210706_130136.jpg  

Old 07-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #10

Looks like someone has replaced the fridge since there is little to no access to the burner assembly for maintenance. The vent door would usually be wider for that size fridge. What is the Model # for the fridge
Old 07-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #11

That's tight!

Wow, that is tight on the burner side.

As Grumpy stated, different fridge?

Or... Factory cut the vent hole 2-3 inches off location, looks like left side has plenty of access.

Still going to be hard to insulate that wall without a fridge pull.

Maybe easier to slip a piece of aluminum between the burner flue pipe and wall leaving an air gap at bottom and top if possible.
TS3 Hitch
Old 07-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #12

Probably factory cut it couple inches off. I dont think it was replaced. So your saying to put a peice of aluminum. Between that vent pipe and the wall to help absorb the heat? Not sure I really understand.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #13

Yes, a heat shield to block radiant heat. It would work best if it's not touching the wall or the flue and it has air flow around it.
Unfortunately you don't have much room to work with!
TS3 Hitch
Old 07-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #14

Thanks guys. What setting do you keep your fridge at? I have norcold 1-5 setting. I'm guessing 5 is the coldest? It's been on 2 thisbwhole time I never noticed. My drinks aren't that cold. I'm going to go to 3
Old 07-07-2021, 04:19 PM   #15

I have a similar problem that my kitchen cabinet top and the inside of the sink compartment are toasty when either the LP or electric is used to run the fridge. Less than half inch clearance between the burner assembly and wood wall. I would like to find some stiff fiberglass insulation. Kind of like a board but made from fiberglass and fireproof to put in between. Just can't seem to find it although I have seen it in the past. Any suggestion appreciated. Regular fiberglass will be stuffed between the steel piece that helps move flow to the outside at the top.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:59 AM   #16

Do you think the heat is the reason my freezer is getting so much ice build up on the back? Is that normal in rvs? My food seems to get freezer burn or icyness within a couple days..
Old 07-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
Thanks guys. What setting do you keep your fridge at? I have norcold 1-5 setting. I'm guessing 5 is the coldest? It's been on 2 thisbwhole time I never noticed. My drinks aren't that cold. I'm going to go to 3
My fridge is a Norcold as well. When it's really hot outside mine is usually on 4 a few times I had it on 5. When the weather outside is cooler I have had it as low as 3. Most of the time it stays on 4. Hope this helps. Happy Camping and God Bless!
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHiker View Post
My fridge is a Norcold as well. When it's really hot outside mine is usually on 4 a few times I had it on 5. When the weather outside is cooler I have had it as low as 3. Most of the time it stays on 4. Hope this helps. Happy Camping and God Bless!
Thank you. When I bought it used the guy had it on 2. That's what I've had it on. And it works, everything frozen. I switch to 3 the other day. Nice to know others experience. I'm gonna use a hair dryer to melt the ice off the back now.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #19

I ordered a piece of this Aluminized Heat Shield Thermal Barrier Adhesive Backed Heat Shield 20 X 24 inches for $16 on ebay. Says it is reflective of heat up to 2000 degrees and has a insulation layer under the aluminum plus it is self stick. I plan to install it between the side facing the burner stack to keep heat out of the camper. If enough is left I will use some against the back of the fridge components. I also have some fiberglass to go above the hot air flow plate to keep some heat out of the top of the fridge and cabinet top. Will post pics when done.
Aluminized Heat Shield Thermal Barrier Adhesive Backed Heat Sleeve 20'' × 24''

Old 07-10-2021, 12:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
Hey jaycoers. My power went out and the gas turned on for the fridge. I thought nothing of it got on my laptop and started browsing and whatnot. Then I noticed it was getting really hot like a heater was on. I started feeling the Cabinetry around the fridge and it was burning hot. Like I couldn't even keep my hand on it I was worried it was going to start a fire so I turned it off and just waited for the power to come back. I don't think it can be normal to get that hot. Maybe the vent on top is blocked or something? I guess I'm going to have to look up some YouTube videos. If you have any advice please share thank you
you might be surprised how warm they run, even in electric mode.. However i would check the venting to make sure no obstructions and check the temp around the back side.. Mine is pretty much normal at 160 degrees..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote