Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #1

Propane gauge?

Hello all,

I seemed to be using quite a bit of propane to run my fridge last weekend so I used my HFT gauge and they both showed dead empty (taller tanks than bbq grill size - 30lbs maybe?). I unhooked them and hauled them to the propane refill store (what is always a PITA), and they seemed pretty heavy. But I double checked the gauge on a BBQ grill tank and it worked fine on a full bottle - showed 100%. So my question is is there something about the larger / taller tank or tank valve that the gauge doesn't read them? I tested again once the tall bottles were filled and the gauge didn't register any reading...
Thanks - as always!
(From Phoenix - the land of perpetual 115 degree days this summer)
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
CAG

Not that I have ever heard of. One thing that could happen and I did it, it to open the bottle too fast and the safety valve activates. Your gauge will read empty but the bottle is full. The valve closed. I know you said you were using it but that is all I can think of.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #3

I have never found a gauge that worked very well. I bought a battery operated bathroom scale at an Estate sale for $1 and now I just weigh the tanks. Easy peasy and accurate.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote