Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #1

Propane Grill Conversion Kits

For those of you that have been disappointed with the high price and poor quality of low pressure propane RV grills like RV-Q, I found a site that makes conversion kits for the Weber and Coleman portable grills so that you can plug them into a preexisting propane outlet on the RV/TT. This will convert Weber/Coleman from high pressure (little green canister) to low pressure (feeds off you units propane system). The kits come with instructions, hardware and 8’ or 12’ hose depending on what you choose. The web site is: propanegear.com.
byrnehf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

Already bought the Coleman one in preparation for my next grill purchase.
And also bought the 'propane cross' so I can use my grill, make coffee & use my outside kitchen stove and still have one factory mounted one left over if I'm cooking for the whole family

Propane Gear had exactly what I was looking for
NYMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

If you are a bit handy and want to save money over what buying the premade kit will cost, it is pretty easy to make your own conversion kit:

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #4

Interesting site. I don't use a grill while camping but we do use a coleman 2 burner stove. I've emailed them asking if they have any kits for that. I'd love to be able to just plug into the trailer.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #5

@dewey, that's great! Thanks
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

Please update

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin4you View Post
Interesting site. I don't use a grill while camping but we do use a coleman 2 burner stove. I've emailed them asking if they have any kits for that. I'd love to be able to just plug into the trailer.
Please update when you hear back. I have a Coleman white gas stove that's nearly brand new. Love those things but would consider a conversion like this if it would mean carrying one less fuel source.

Thanks

Dave
Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #7

I have these items in my amazon list -

1/8 Male to 1/4 Female Straight - if you use the straight as in the video, you will probably want to use a 1/4 female to 1/4 female elbow
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

1/8 Male to 1/4 Female Elbow - I will use this for my setup instead of the straight

Quick Connect Kit - My trailer has an adapter that is not standard size so not all fittings will connect - I am going to replace the one on the trailer with the female side and use the male side on my coleman grill

10 foot hose with quick connects

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #8

Not trying to hijack

Does anyone know the fittings needed for a quick connect hose to the camp chef portable fire pit?

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Please update when you hear back.
This is what they said when I asked about my basic Coleman, 2 burner stove...

Quote:
That is a high-pressure regulator, which means a high-pressure stove. You will need a low-pressure stove in order to connect and function with your RV’s low-pressure quick-connect. The Weber Q and Coleman Roadtrip LXE are the top 2 grills for RV’s. Other low-pressure stoves that will work include any of the Camp Chef low-pressure cook stoves. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!
So I looked into the camp chef stoves on Amazon and found that camp chef makes thier own adapter - https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-RV-...f+hose+adapter

Looking on the camp chef website it says the hoses work with most of thier stoves except for the Mountain Series. I've been looking at the camp chef website and Amazon trying to decide if I want to buy one or not. Most of the Camp Chef stoves are bigger and more expensive then I really need. I'm probably going to keep looking for a low pressure stove that fit what I need it to do (unless anyone has any suggestions for me??)
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMarty View Post
Already bought the Coleman one in preparation for my next grill purchase.
And also bought the 'propane cross' so I can use my grill, make coffee & use my outside kitchen stove and still have one factory mounted one left over if I'm cooking for the whole family

Propane Gear had exactly what I was looking for
I took my Coleman roadtrip grill and converted it with a few parts from the hardware store and bought a fitting off Amazon along with a ten foot hose for around $30 I think. Was awhile ago when I did this but it works great. I had to use some of the parts from the grill so I couldn't use the little green container anymore so I bought the regulator assembly off a site I found so I can use both now. I will want to take the grill to a picnic area or the beach and I can still use it without having to be within 10' of my trailer.

Easy grill mod...
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
I took my Coleman roadtrip grill and converted it with a few parts from the hardware store and bought a fitting off Amazon along with a ten foot hose for around $30 I think. Was awhile ago when I did this but it works great. I had to use some of the parts from the grill so I couldn't use the little green container anymore so I bought the regulator assembly off a site I found so I can use both now. I will want to take the grill to a picnic area or the beach and I can still use it without having to be within 10' of my trailer.

Easy grill mod...
I did the exact same thing. I most often use the RV's propane via the quick connect, but sometimes put on the spare regulator and just use the mini-bottles when I want to use the grill far away from the trailer or even back at home.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnehf View Post
For those of you that have been disappointed with the high price and poor quality of low pressure propane RV grills like RV-Q, I found a site that makes conversion kits for the Weber and Coleman portable grills so that you can plug them into a preexisting propane outlet on the RV/TT. This will convert Weber/Coleman from high pressure (little green canister) to low pressure (feeds off you units propane system). The kits come with instructions, hardware and 8’ or 12’ hose depending on what you choose. The web site is: propanegear.com.
Can you confirm whether these quick connect connections work with our Jaycos ? I have read that there are two different quick-connects that are not compatible.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #13

The hose that they supply does fit the quick connect on the trailer
Old 03-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #14

The Coleman conversion kit is $65 then you have to buy a hose. I bought a $30 hose off Amazon, a quick connect male adapter for a few bucks, and the conversion parts at the hardware store for $5 for a total of about $45 but if you are not mechanically inclined this would be a great alternative.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #15

A 12' hose is included in the $65 dollar price but as you say if you're a diyer you can probably do it for less.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #16

Yea I saw that after I posted. That would be a good deal because all you have to do is input your credit card much much easier than trying to find various parts. Should of made the kits myself and sold them to thousands of people. Then I could payoff my trailer