Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #1

Propane Lantern?

I've haven't been out in my new to me Pop UP yet, but I have a question.

I realize most of the "Bigger Guy" have external lighting on their units, but I'm probably going to have to use a Lantern.

Does anyone else use lanterns?
Will this even work, because I think the lantern has a regulator built into it?
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #2

Yeah just keep it away from the canvas/plastic windows. Most propane lanterns screw onto a disposable cylinder and incorporate a regulator into the adjustment knob. There are some that thread onto a pipe attached to a 20lb cylinder but they still have to use a regulator.

Or you could attach a string of electric party lights to the roof line or between a couple of trees on your site. They provide a softer light effect and don't seem to draw in all the stupid moths and bugs.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

I see I was thinking faster than I type again.

I actual question I had in my mind was:

Propane lanterns use the disposable Bottles.

I know the Quick Connect on the RV is low pressure (after the RV's regulator)

Will the QC line on the RV successfully drive a Coleman Propane Lantern with some kind of adaptor hose?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

We use both.. Even though we have a TT, we use electric lighting around the outside of the camper, but use our propane lantern closer to the picnic table, etc. We still need that little bit of "old style" lighting to help us remember our tent days...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpking View Post
I see I was thinking faster than I type again.

I actual question I had in my mind was:

Propane lanterns use the disposable Bottles.

I know the Quick Connect on the RV is low pressure (after the RV's regulator)

Will the QC line on the RV successfully drive a Coleman Propane Lantern with some kind of adaptor hose?
I doubt it as those type of lanterns incorporate a regulator of sorts into the control knob fitting.

Most likely you will have to do some 'engineering' to bypass the regulator/control knob assembly which may not be too easy.

Are there any Amish in the neighborhood? They often light their homes with propane wall sconces tied directly into the low pressure side of their on-farm propane tanks. In the Amish community in Shipshewana, IN there are several hardware stores that sell all kinds of stuff like that.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #6

If you have access to electricity, its not worth messing with a propane lantern. I packed one for the last 8 years in my TT and never once used it. I've probably replaced as many mantles before trips, just to be ready but never used the lantern. Just as easy and a whole lot less trouble to pack a 25 or 50 foot orange ext. and run it from the power post directly to the picnic table or outside use area. A string of led lights and a clamp on 8" dome lite will pretty much light up the area.

Popups are real rvs even if they don't come with all the bells and whisles out of the box. $50 at walmart and you can get many of the extras, just maybe not as fancy.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #7

How about the ever popular camp lamp in the stylish table model or classic swag version?
Attached Thumbnails
camp lamp 003.jpg   camp lamp 002.jpg   camp lamp 004.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #8

A miniority view, perhaps, but propane/mantle lanterns are way too bright (and noisy) for my taste. Like an earlier poster, I have not used my in over 10 years. I have a slick folding LED lamp from REI that I use most of the time and tent camping this week-end with my son for Father's day, I will try out an inflatable, solar-recharageable LED lap I picked up earlier this year called the MPOWERD Luci:

No Sound, No expensive fuel, no heat...what's not to like?
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster[/I]
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #9

I had a bucket light for the popup. Made a nice soft light. Cheap and easy to do.
BillMc
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #10

How did the Luci workout I'm super interested
Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #11

I have two of the Coleman white gas lanterns and I love them, I can adjust the light really bright or turn them down really low, they last for several hours on a tank of gas, even with electricity available I prefer the gas lanterns. I really like the ambience they provide.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #12

I used a white gas Coleman lantern for years while tent camping (along with a 2-burner white gas stove). When I bought my first trailer, I'd take it with me out of habit, but rarely used it. I purchased a battery-powered flashlight/florescent lantern/emergency flasher combination several years ago, and haven't used the Coleman since. It will light up the picnic table or porch with a nice soft light, but also makes a handy flashlight for doggy runs in the middle of the night, or for changing a flat at night along the side of the road. Uses 6 D-size batteries, which you can buy anywhere, and they'll last an entire season (if I remember to shut it off before storing it). Also makes a great emergency light when the power goes out at home.

And, there's no gas/propane smell or CO.