Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2024, 07:43 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to wilderness john Send a message via MSN to wilderness john
propane light fixture

years ago I had a approx. 15 ft. travel trailer that had a propane light fixture.

It provided both heat and light in that small space.

Never knew if that was installed by the factory or if a previous owner had installed it.

Kind of handy in that it didn't use any battery power and did provide a limited amount of heat.

Any recolections of those fixtures. May have been deemed as unsafe?
wilderness john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:53 AM   #2
RPR

What safety valve did it have on it if flame went out to turn propane off?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:32 AM   #3

Those were factory installed, we had them in a Scotty trailer that we rented way, way, way back when... It did not have a battery or fridge only an ice-box. You can still buy them for remote cabin use. Many sources on the web for them.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:06 AM   #4

We had an Aristocrat Lo-liner that had the propane light between the two overhead cabinets over the sink and stove.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:23 AM   #5

Our first TT was a 1965 jet ( 12 foot ) it had the propane lite up front over the table/bed. I don’t know if it had a safety shutoff valve or not.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:49 AM   #6
Site Team

That may be how the lp /co alarms came to be a requirement!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:40 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to wilderness john Send a message via MSN to wilderness john
I was about 50 years younger then. Don't know if there was any shut off if flame went out.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:42 PM   #8

probably right about the alarm issue. I sure know that old trailer didnt have any alarm!!
Old 02-22-2024, 03:11 PM   #9

I miss the sounds and flicker of a propane or white gas lantern. I may have to pull one out and light it up.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:29 PM   #10

I had a Wolverine truck camper with a gas light. Makes me feel like I should have posted this under the "I'm so old that" thread.....
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 06:31 PM   #11
Site Team

We carried an imitation Coleman propane lantern around for years, complete with spare mantels and a couple of 1# bottles. Then I had to ask myself....WHY?? Never used it, so now it resides in the cellar.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I had a Wolverine truck camper with a gas light. Makes me feel like I should have posted this under the "I'm so old that" thread.....
I'm in the same boat!!!
Old 02-23-2024, 07:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I miss the sounds and flicker of a propane or white gas lantern. I may have to pull one out and light it up.
yep, I remember the old lantern in that trailer that way;; also, same thing in a tent and turning out the lantern and listening while it sputtered out
Old 02-28-2024, 02:08 PM   #14

Yes, we had a 13’ Terry with a propane lantern. I don’t think we ever used it, but I’ll bet it did work to light and heat that little rig. That 13 footer was our first RV, we were still in our late twenties or early thirties and probably a little scared of using that “gas” lamp, so we didn’t. Although we bought the rig used, I believe it was in 1975 that we acquired it. Think about how long we have been RVing. I cannot possibly be that old!!
Old 02-28-2024, 02:37 PM   #15

I miss our first trailer. It was a 1965 16ft Shasta with the rear wings. No bathroom, fridge was an ice box with a drain tube out the bottom. You filled the water tank with a garden hose and then used a bicycle tire pump to create pressure that forced the water to the sink. It too had the propane light fixture. It was a solid built trailer unlike today's standards. We used it for over 10 years and never had a single issue other than replacing the tires. Our oldest son is 42 now and he still talks about our first trailer and all our camping trips.
Larry
2022 White Hawk
2016 Ram 2500 Diesel
L&LSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 06:27 PM   #16

My patents bought a 1968 Terry 20 foot trailer that had one of those lights right over the table. It had three different types of lights. Some only ran on the battery, some ran only on shore power, and that one ran on gas.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 06:35 PM   #17

Our "guest House" up the hill is a 1964 Four Seasons 15' camper with an overcab. 100% propane. We have had it since we bought the property in 1986. Our Jayco is the "main" house.

The propane light is perfect. The only issue is that it will set off the aftermarket CO detector at times. Pushing a fine wire (bread tie) in the orifice will clean it out nicely.

They built them better back in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
49765_19.jpg  
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:49 PM   #18

My grand parents had a Shasta with one over the kitchen table as well. When it came time for dear hunting in those cold mountains I remember their trailer was bright and warm. I don’t think the trailer had a heater but not 100% sure about that. It seemed very cold at night. You looked forward to some one getting up early and turning that light on and warming the trailer with the smell of bacon cooking long before dawn.
GlenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenS View Post
My grand parents had a Shasta with one over the kitchen table as well. When it came time for dear hunting in those cold mountains I remember their trailer was bright and warm. I donít think the trailer had a heater but not 100% sure about that. It seemed very cold at night. You looked forward to some one getting up early and turning that light on and warming the trailer with the smell of bacon cooking long before dawn.
Boy that sounds like my deer hunting memories of hunting in my old trailer many years ago in Northport Washington. it was cold and that little propane light really did warm things up.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness john View Post
Boy that sounds like my deer hunting memories of hunting in my old trailer many years ago in Northport Washington. it was cold and that little propane light really did warm things up.
The trailer in post 17 was used for hunting for 27 years. We had a battery operated 5" B&W TV for evening enjoyment. We only used the propane light while eating or getting dressed because of the periodic CO issues. The furnace only had a variable knob (no thermostat) and it would get that little trailer up to 90 degrees if we kept it on too long.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote