Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #1

Propane Question

New RV owner here (2016 Jay Feather 7 16XRB). We're about to take it out for the first time on a 4 day, 3 night weekend (no electricity). How much propane should I expect to use? My model comes with one 20 pound tank and I'm wondering if I should carry a second tank. I'm sure it'll depend on what we'll be using.
  1. It's likely to be cold at night, so we'll likely be using the heater at night.
  2. We'll be using the gas only hot water heater (not sure if I should turn it on 30 minutes prior and shut it off when done...and repeat).
  3. We might use the fridge, but I want to limit battery use so I may simply use coolers.
  4. Grill. It won't matter for this trip as at this point, I haven't picked up a quick connect to male adapter for my grill...but I will.
Should the one tank last the weekend?
Thanks for any help!
scarr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #2

On longer trips, in very cold weather, we carry a spare 30# tank, and we have 2 - 30#'s already. I'd opt for an electric heater if at a park. We use an electric heater with blower until it gets into the freezing temps. Saves on propane.

In your case with a 20#, I'd carry a spare just in case. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The water heater can suck down a propane tank in a hurry. The furnace can too. Ponder on electric heat since you're already paying for it, provided you're at a rv park. Then again you said no electric.

Bring a spare tank.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #3

Here's one approach. A pound of propane has about 21,500 btus (British Thermal Units). A gallon of propane had about 91,000 btus. A 20 lb tank tank generally does NOT have 20 lbs of propane in it. The popular tank exchange companies used to put 17 lbs in but reduced it to 15 lbs to keep their profit margins up when gas was up but forgot to go back to 17 lbs when the lp gas rates dropped (check out their label next time you exchange).

So... let's say you have 15 lbs in your 20 lb tank. You would have 15 x 21,500 = 322,500 btus of fuel. Check to see what your furnace and water heater is rated at. Their ratings are based on btus used per hour. Let's say your furnace is rated at 20,000 btus. That means your 15 lb filled tank would run your 20,000 btu rated furnace just over 16 hours (322,500 / 20,000 = 16.1).

Now, your furnace won't run for 16 hours straight. It depends on the demand you put on it. Your thermostat is just the on/off switch to tell it when to run. Putting it at 70 or 90 only tells it how long to run. It will still only burn 20,000 btus for every hour it runs.

Do the math on your gas appliances but I would consider a second tank if you like it warm and want to shower daily. Jerry B.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #4

My vote is yes you will have enough gas for 4 days, maybe.? I would take an extra battery before extra gas.

Not sure how cold ur nights will be, but if you are above freezing with only a little help needed from the furnace you can make it. I used 30lb tank in 4 nights over Christmas with freezing nights only running the furnace. Set the thermostat on 60 over night then bump it up in the morning to take the chill out.

I don't think the fridge uses much gas. But coolers will eliminate that concern.

The water heaters seem to be pretty efficient. I don't know if it's better to keep it on and hot, or let it cool then fire it up before u need it. Depending on ur hot water needs throughout the day, it could be 6 one, half a dozen the other.

While I think u could conserve gas and make it, I don't think your battery will make it, unless u are using solar or generator, or multiple batteries. If u get in a bind, plug the camper into the 7 pin plug on the truck and run the engine to get ya through. You just don't want to drain ur RV battery.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 AM   #5
Site Team

I would be more concerned with the battery charge than the propane but I would have a spare propane tank and some method to recharge the battery especially in cold.
Not using the rig as designed makes me wonder why you would just not go back to a tent?.

The gas grill will work on separate propane.

Enjoy the weekend at all costs!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:40 AM   #6

I was actually amazed at how little propane we used last season. 14 extended weekend trips, 1 full week long trip using propane for cooking (grill and outdoor stove on quick connect) , supplemental water heating (primarily electric) fridge while traveling and heat overnight during the fall. I am just refilling my 1st 30 pound tank today in preparation for this weekend...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
M&A

Same camper, picked up in July last year with a single 20 lbs tank. Two weeks boon-docking running the fridge plus several days traveling with the fridge on. Thought I'd be low. Got a tank scale and it showed near full. A couple weekends later running fridge.

Just back from 10 days in a N.C. campground where we ran the heat the first two mornings to take the chill off. Although we had shore power on this trip, I totally missed that the fridge button was not in auto so was on propane the entire time.

Every morning I turned on the water heater for two showers and then shut it off.

A few times running the stove burner to purge air.

Forgot scale on last trip and stopped for our first fill on the return drive since we still had cold stuff in the fridge - took 2.8 gallons, I think around 11 lbs?

In all cases, I pre-chilled the fridge on AC before heading out.

So, knowing how little I used, for the last night coming home, I lit the water heater and didn't need to go out in the morning - that was a treat.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #8

Great responses! Thank you! It looks like carrying a spare is the smart move, but I likely won't need it, which works for me!

I think I'll also take M&As advice and pre-chill my fridge, even though I'm bringing coolers
Old 05-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

You will be lucky on a cold night for your battery to last. The furnace fan will kill a battery fairly quickly.
Good Luck and Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #10
Site Team

As the others have mentioned your battery is going to be your main issue, since you will not have shore power. The battery voltage should not be allowed to discharge below the 12.0VDC voltage. Below that point, you are killing your battery and its capacity (Ah's will be reduced for future outings).

Do you have a volt meter or a Digital Voltage Display? You will need it. Once the battery hits 12.0 VDC you need to stop using your 12 volt items. At that point you should not allow your heater to come on anymore.

A second battery is highly recommended. If you plan to hook them up in parallel to double your Ah's, the batteries have to be identical (same mfr, same model, same Ah rating).

If you do not have a generator, you can put a little juice back in the battery(s) by running your TV for a little bit in the morning and evening. It will not fully recharge the battery(s) but it might get you through the night.

Ignore the battery monitor that comes with most TT's, as they are useless, you need to monitor your battery(s) with a Digital Voltage Display.

An inexpensive Digital Voltage Display is better than not having one.

Good Luck... have fun!!!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
As the others have mentioned your battery is going to be your main issue
I have a meter and I'll bring it for sure. I had hoped that connecting and running my TV for a little bit morning and evening would be sufficient for running minimal systems. I won't be purchasing a spare battery at this point, but I'll certainly monitor the battery level and learn its limits this weekend.

Side note:
After leaving our camper in storage for a few weeks, we went back up there and the battery had died. I quickly learned that it was due to the CO/propane detector being hard wired to the battery. Thus, I installed a battery disconnect. I may use this while we're not in the camper to slow any unnecessary/unexpected battery drain. It sounds like it might be a futile effort, but we'll live.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #12

We have always dad a second tank never have to worry!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #13

Another dumb question. How do you carry an extra propane tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Dreamteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #14

I dry camp all the time. As has been stated, the furnace will eat up your battery. When it's cool, I just run it when getting ready for bed and again in the morning during showers. Good sleeping bags will keep you warm at night.

The hot water tank and refrigerator use very little propane; don't worry about it. The refrigerator will use very little power--again, don't worry about it.

I always bring an extra propane tank and use it for the gas grill and outdoor stove. That way I have a spare if the main tank quits.

In the future you should consider solar for dry camping. It won't cost you much but don't expect to use microwave or a/c. If you have a permanent solar panel on the roof you won't have to worry about your battery going flat when you're in storage. Unless you store it indoors!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #15

Battery is the issue, especially if you use that furnace at all. Charging via the 7-pin is extremely inefficient. We figure 1 night = 1 battery, if you have a dual battery setup you might get 2 nights, and this is being very conservative with your usage.

If it's cold at all, I would have a back up plan for battery before I was evenly slightly concerned about propane.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #16

Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam View Post

About anywhere you can stuff it! For a little heat we have had a buddy heater for ever. One green propane bottle last about 4-5 hours. We have an adapter to refill green cans off are large tank. Been doing it for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Lake Plesant.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would be more concerned with the battery charge than the propane but I would have a spare propane tank and some method to recharge the battery especially in cold.
Not using the rig as designed makes me wonder why you would just not go back to a tent?.

The gas grill will work on separate propane.

Enjoy the weekend at all costs!
X2!

The frig when operating on Propane use very little 12V power. It only uses power for the control board. It also uses a small amount of 12V power just sitting waiting to be turned on.

The water heater, I usually warm it up, and then turn it off. It is surprising how long the water stays warm.

Now for the furnace! I does use a fair amount of gas, but it really its consumption is not all that bad, we have been out for three day weekends with no power and not run out of gas. However, I have ran out of battery power, and we are ultra conservative. We have the furnace off during the day, and cycle it on and off manual periodically to bring some heat into the htt at night. We will turn the heat on at night for a while before going to bed, maybe turn it on for a little while in the middle of the night during a bathroom break, and again turn it on in the morning to take the chill out of the air, otherwise it is off all day. Otherwise, we mostly kept it off. The fan uses a lot of 12V power. I happen to primarily use the cheap dual use group 24 battery that came with the TT. I also have a good true deep cycle battery (group 27) that I bring along now when we dry camp and if I think I might need some additional power. When one battery runs low I just connect the other battery.

You mentioned charging the battery from the vehicle in the morning and at night. You can do that, and I have. It take a fair amount of time. I have plugged into the vehicle and run it for 30-45 minutes, really 45-60 minutes would be better, twice a day would be better yet. It takes very little gas just sitting there. I have always wondered if a set of good heavy gauge jumper cables would be better than the light weight 14 gauge wire from the alternator to the TT camper battery.

A recommendation, is to open the awning and slideouts while still connected to the TV's power source, and disconnect at the last moment. Turn on the ceiling light at the switch and leave it on. Then at each ceiling light turn off every light. When you need light, turn on only the light where you need it. This will reduce your power draw, as you will only be lighting the area(s) that need to be light.

As for the question regarding how to carry a spare propane tank, they fit perfectly in an old milk crate. They do not tip, nor can they roll. I always place them in the back of my TV when I go to refilling them. I never carry a spare tank while camping (I have two 20 tanks).

Good luck, it will be a good learning experience, let us know how it goes.

I will be going out for a three night adventure this weekend with no power and will need a bit of heat too. Bringing extra blankets too!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam View Post

I'm assuming you're worried about having a 20 pound propane tank rolling around inside your trailer or pickup truck.

So who invented those stupid things to begin with. Why would you take a rounded tank full of explosive gas/liquid and put a little tiny ring on the bottom to make sure it falls over every time you turn a corner! It's like they've been designed to not stay upright.

I suppose something like this would do the trick. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-57236-C...tank+transport
Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #19

Thanks all of you! This has been our first time out and it has been definitely a learning experience for us! Your answers have been great!

Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #20

So, we bought a larger propane tank and we now have a spare a d it is in a plastic milk crate in the back of our van. Learn g as we go! I think I may invest in a small electric heater.