Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2024, 02:22 PM   #1

Protect Doggo When Hot Using AGS?

Can I set the AGS so that it kicks on the generator if the power fails to keep the A/C system running so that the dog doesn't die in the RV when it's hot out and we are not there?

I tried setting it to "HVAC LOAD" but it just turned the generator on when the A/C was on, even though we are plugged in.

I need a setting that says "If shore power fails, turn on generator so A/C keeps working"...
Attached Thumbnails
gen.jpg  
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 02:31 PM   #2

Not sure about the new "Fancy" systems, but the older systems worked off of temp or low battery. When the thermostat called for cooling the geny started and a/c came on.

It might do what you want, but not while on shore power at the same time. I think you'd have to disconnect shore power to see.
Old 06-08-2024, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not sure about the new "Fancy" systems, but the older systems worked off of temp or low battery. When the thermostat called for cooling the geny started and a/c came on.

It might do what you want, but not while on shore power at the same time. I think you'd have to disconnect shore power to see.
See, if there were a "TEMPERATURE" setting that would be perfect. Shore power fails, temp rises to 80, gen kicks on, A/C starts working again...
Old 06-08-2024, 02:49 PM   #4

Or do I need to add one of these?

https://rvautomations.com/product/alert-command/
Old 06-08-2024, 02:59 PM   #5

I think you need to set it to HVAC load while unplugged from shore power and the thermostat set for about 10 degrees above actual temp. Then lower the temp to see if geny comes on.

Edit: Had it right to start with so changed it back..
Old 06-08-2024, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think you need to set it to HVAC load while unplugged from shore power and the thermostat set for about 10 degrees above actual temp. Then lower the temp to see if geny comes on.

Edit: Had it right to start with so changed it back..
Yes, that works fine. The problem is that the generator starts even if we are plugged in and the A/C turns on. I want it to only turn on if we lose shore power…
Old 06-08-2024, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
Yes, that works fine. The problem is that the generator starts even if we are plugged in and the A/C turns on. I want it to only turn on if we lose shore power…
That was the advantage of the old system. You could use the rear a/c to keep it cool and then use the front to control the auto start. Since they had separate thermostats you would set the front one 8-10 degrees higher than the rear.
Old 06-10-2024, 12:56 PM   #8

I had the same concerns as you - we leave our doggo's unattended frequently and were worried for their well being. A few side notes:

1. Waggle pet monitor is our friend. Will text me the minute shore power goes out.

2. I never could get the genset to be reliable enough under these circumstances, so I put a soft-start on the rear a/c and rewired it to go through the inverter, thus powered by the battery bank seamlessly in event of power outage.

Now, to do this you need a 3000 inverter (which I upgraded to) and a sufficient battery bank and/or solar panels. I have 500ah of lithium batteries and 600 watts of solar on the roof.

We used batteries-only to power the rear a/c for the dogs when adventuring in Sedona, AZ a few weeks ago, boondocking, it was hot and our rig is mostly black. Went on a tour and the dogs were unattended for 3.5 hours and the a/c was still running when we returned. No issues and piece of mind.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM22 View Post
I had the same concerns as you - we leave our doggo's unattended frequently and were worried for their well being. A few side notes:

1. Waggle pet monitor is our friend. Will text me the minute shore power goes out.

2. I never could get the genset to be reliable enough under these circumstances, so I put a soft-start on the rear a/c and rewired it to go through the inverter, thus powered by the battery bank seamlessly in event of power outage.

Now, to do this you need a 3000 inverter (which I upgraded to) and a sufficient battery bank and/or solar panels. I have 500ah of lithium batteries and 600 watts of solar on the roof.

We used batteries-only to power the rear a/c for the dogs when adventuring in Sedona, AZ a few weeks ago, boondocking, it was hot and our rig is mostly black. Went on a tour and the dogs were unattended for 3.5 hours and the a/c was still running when we returned. No issues and piece of mind.
Thank you!