Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #1

Purchasing process, maybe I'm confused

I have read some post indicating that people took possession of new RV's with known problems that were found during the initial inspection and said problems had not been corrected before signing off on the paperwork and taking ownership. Why would anyone not demand that any issues be correct to satisfaction before signing off? I'm not referring to issues that come up later. Just curious, maybe I misunderstood what I read.

TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #2

We had alot of problems with out units, believe it or not they weren't apparent, or happened after the time of purchase. My dealership is fantastic, Jayco, not so much. good luck!

RickyT's

RickyTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

The only reason I can think of is that the customer wants to take it out, maybe due to vacation plans, then return it for service later at a more convenient time. I would have no problem with that as long as it wasn't a problem that would stop me from taking the trip. My dealer was (is) great and Jayco has been great to deal with as well.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTs View Post
We had alot of problems with out units, believe it or not they weren't apparent, or happened after the time of purchase. My dealership is fantastic, Jayco, not so much. good luck!

RickyT's
Can you explain the issue with Jayco, I keep hearing nothing but good about them. We have a unit on order now.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
The only reason I can think of is that the customer wants to take it out, maybe due to vacation plans, then return it for service later at a more convenient time. I would have no problem with that as long as it wasn't a problem that would stop me from taking the trip. My dealer was (is) great and Jayco has been great to deal with as well.
That all makes sense, I guess. I plan on making sure things are right before leaving, just my thought pattern anyway.
Thanking for responding
Old 04-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #6

I found only a couple minor issues during the orientation process that were dealt with right on the spot....I was a happy camper��
Old 04-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #7

Often times is the excitement of the bird in the hand. Most times people are happy and excited when the time comes to pick up their new RV. When doing the initial inspection things will be noticed and often the tech doing the walk around will tell them to just bring it back in later and it will be fixed. Everyone is happy and excited and the owners walk away. Months later, they bring the RV back and the tech who has seen probably a hundred people and dozens of RV's doesn't remember the issue.

When we did our first inspection and pick up of our new TT at the end of January there was an issue with the power jack. The cover was broken and the LED did not work. The tech gave us the "it will be fixed by warranty when you bring it back to be winterized" line. Luckily, I can be a prick and this is not my first rodeo. I made him put it in writing on a work order right there before I took the TT home.
two weeks ago when I went back to have the TT dewinterized, there waiting was the new power hitch, and the work order and the warranty authorization.

If I can pass on a recommendation to anyone. That is to try and schedule your inspection in the morning, have at least 3 hours set aside (in addition to the time the dealership tells you it should take for set up and inspection), and as you do the inspection, take your time to write things out. If there is a problem, get the fix orders in writing before you pull away. When the time comes for you to take your RV back in for the repairs, call the dealership at least 10 days ahead of time, remind them and insist on faxing a copy of the written orders you have prior to taking the TT in.

There is no dealership or RV tech out there who will be purposefully dishonest and try to shortchange you if you do not give them a chance to. Treat them like toddlers, tell them what you need, show them what you need and then walk them through when they are getting it. This process has never failed me.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Often times is the excitement of the bird in the hand. Most times people are happy and excited when the time comes to pick up their new RV. When doing the initial inspection things will be noticed and often the tech doing the walk around will tell them to just bring it back in later and it will be fixed. Everyone is happy and excited and the owners walk away. Months later, they bring the RV back and the tech who has seen probably a hundred people and dozens of RV's doesn't remember the issue.

When we did our first inspection and pick up of our new TT at the end of January there was an issue with the power jack. The cover was broken and the LED did not work. The tech gave us the "it will be fixed by warranty when you bring it back to be winterized" line. Luckily, I can be a prick and this is not my first rodeo. I made him put it in writing on a work order right there before I took the TT home.
two weeks ago when I went back to have the TT dewinterized, there waiting was the new power hitch, and the work order and the warranty authorization.

If I can pass on a recommendation to anyone. That is to try and schedule your inspection in the morning, have at least 3 hours set aside (in addition to the time the dealership tells you it should take for set up and inspection), and as you do the inspection, take your time to write things out. If there is a problem, get the fix orders in writing before you pull away. When the time comes for you to take your RV back in for the repairs, call the dealership at least 10 days ahead of time, remind them and insist on faxing a copy of the written orders you have prior to taking the TT in.

There is no dealership or RV tech out there who will be purposefully dishonest and try to shortchange you if you do not give them a chance to. Treat them like toddlers, tell them what you need, show them what you need and then walk them through when they are getting it. This process has never failed me.
Well said, and my plan exactly. We are buying away from home and have no plans, so my plan is to have any issues fixed before heading home.
Thanks for the response.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
I found only a couple minor issues during the orientation process that were dealt with right on the spot....I was a happy camper��
That's my hopes.
Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #10

Our dealer is 45 minutes away AND on the road to many camping destinations. During the PDI, we saw no issues except damage to the dinette table (box cutter slice and broken weld). They noted it in the paperwork to order a new one (as opposed to pirating one from another rig). They encouraged us to have a couple of shake-down trips (boondocking and full hookups), create a punch list, and then to bring it in when getting the battery disconnect installed. This approach worked perfectly. We have since had two additional "fix-it" visits (varied items) ... and really value the quality of their work ~ but then again, it is all covered under warranty.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote