Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

Purchasing process, maybe I'm confused

I have read some post indicating that people took possession of new RV's with known problems that were found during the initial inspection and said problems had not been corrected before signing off on the paperwork and taking ownership. Why would anyone not demand that any issues be correct to satisfaction before signing off? I'm not referring to issues that come up later. Just curious, maybe I misunderstood what I read.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

We had alot of problems with out units, believe it or not they weren't apparent, or happened after the time of purchase. My dealership is fantastic, Jayco, not so much. good luck!

RickyT's
RickyTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #3

The only reason I can think of is that the customer wants to take it out, maybe due to vacation plans, then return it for service later at a more convenient time. I would have no problem with that as long as it wasn't a problem that would stop me from taking the trip. My dealer was (is) great and Jayco has been great to deal with as well.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTs View Post
We had alot of problems with out units, believe it or not they weren't apparent, or happened after the time of purchase. My dealership is fantastic, Jayco, not so much. good luck!

RickyT's
Can you explain the issue with Jayco, I keep hearing nothing but good about them. We have a unit on order now.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
The only reason I can think of is that the customer wants to take it out, maybe due to vacation plans, then return it for service later at a more convenient time. I would have no problem with that as long as it wasn't a problem that would stop me from taking the trip. My dealer was (is) great and Jayco has been great to deal with as well.
That all makes sense, I guess. I plan on making sure things are right before leaving, just my thought pattern anyway.
Thanking for responding
Old 04-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

I found only a couple minor issues during the orientation process that were dealt with right on the spot....I was a happy camper��
Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

Often times is the excitement of the bird in the hand. Most times people are happy and excited when the time comes to pick up their new RV. When doing the initial inspection things will be noticed and often the tech doing the walk around will tell them to just bring it back in later and it will be fixed. Everyone is happy and excited and the owners walk away. Months later, they bring the RV back and the tech who has seen probably a hundred people and dozens of RV's doesn't remember the issue.

When we did our first inspection and pick up of our new TT at the end of January there was an issue with the power jack. The cover was broken and the LED did not work. The tech gave us the "it will be fixed by warranty when you bring it back to be winterized" line. Luckily, I can be a prick and this is not my first rodeo. I made him put it in writing on a work order right there before I took the TT home.
two weeks ago when I went back to have the TT dewinterized, there waiting was the new power hitch, and the work order and the warranty authorization.

If I can pass on a recommendation to anyone. That is to try and schedule your inspection in the morning, have at least 3 hours set aside (in addition to the time the dealership tells you it should take for set up and inspection), and as you do the inspection, take your time to write things out. If there is a problem, get the fix orders in writing before you pull away. When the time comes for you to take your RV back in for the repairs, call the dealership at least 10 days ahead of time, remind them and insist on faxing a copy of the written orders you have prior to taking the TT in.

There is no dealership or RV tech out there who will be purposefully dishonest and try to shortchange you if you do not give them a chance to. Treat them like toddlers, tell them what you need, show them what you need and then walk them through when they are getting it. This process has never failed me.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Often times is the excitement of the bird in the hand. Most times people are happy and excited when the time comes to pick up their new RV. When doing the initial inspection things will be noticed and often the tech doing the walk around will tell them to just bring it back in later and it will be fixed. Everyone is happy and excited and the owners walk away. Months later, they bring the RV back and the tech who has seen probably a hundred people and dozens of RV's doesn't remember the issue.

When we did our first inspection and pick up of our new TT at the end of January there was an issue with the power jack. The cover was broken and the LED did not work. The tech gave us the "it will be fixed by warranty when you bring it back to be winterized" line. Luckily, I can be a prick and this is not my first rodeo. I made him put it in writing on a work order right there before I took the TT home.
two weeks ago when I went back to have the TT dewinterized, there waiting was the new power hitch, and the work order and the warranty authorization.

If I can pass on a recommendation to anyone. That is to try and schedule your inspection in the morning, have at least 3 hours set aside (in addition to the time the dealership tells you it should take for set up and inspection), and as you do the inspection, take your time to write things out. If there is a problem, get the fix orders in writing before you pull away. When the time comes for you to take your RV back in for the repairs, call the dealership at least 10 days ahead of time, remind them and insist on faxing a copy of the written orders you have prior to taking the TT in.

There is no dealership or RV tech out there who will be purposefully dishonest and try to shortchange you if you do not give them a chance to. Treat them like toddlers, tell them what you need, show them what you need and then walk them through when they are getting it. This process has never failed me.
Well said, and my plan exactly. We are buying away from home and have no plans, so my plan is to have any issues fixed before heading home.
Thanks for the response.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
I found only a couple minor issues during the orientation process that were dealt with right on the spot....I was a happy camper��
That's my hopes.
Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #10

Our dealer is 45 minutes away AND on the road to many camping destinations. During the PDI, we saw no issues except damage to the dinette table (box cutter slice and broken weld). They noted it in the paperwork to order a new one (as opposed to pirating one from another rig). They encouraged us to have a couple of shake-down trips (boondocking and full hookups), create a punch list, and then to bring it in when getting the battery disconnect installed. This approach worked perfectly. We have since had two additional "fix-it" visits (varied items) ... and really value the quality of their work ~ but then again, it is all covered under warranty.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #11

We just did our inspection and pick up our new white hawk yesterday from Camping world. There were a few small things we found that were fixed on the spot. But there was a small chunk taken out of the molding on the inside of the slide. The service guy said that they ordered a new replacement molding from jayco and it would be there in about two weeks. I signed the paper work and took it home and will take it back in 2 weeks when it's in. I figure I would rather it sit on the side of my house where I can start playing with it rather than it sit at the dealer ship for two weeks. I hope this wont bite me in the butt when it comes time to get it fixed.
Justin23mbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:02 AM   #12

You'll be fine. Give them a chance to make it right and I'm confident they will.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:46 AM   #13
Site Team

Being informed is the best thing.

On forums, you don't hear much of the thousands of buyers who have no problems or minor things that are fixed on or before turnover.
The horror stories IMO are not the norm but we can learn from all of them.

I had a few minor problems that were fixed before I took possession or were fixed by my great local dealer as soon as id'd. I did have a brake problem that was corrected as soon as identified.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #14

Thanks to all for responding. One thing I noticed in the repsonses were most of the issues were seemed to be small and easy fixes which is a good sign.

On another note: I actually called Jayco yesterday and left a message for the Rep for my area (Texas) as I had acouple of questions about my order. I could have called the dealer but I wanted to see the response I got by calling Jayco. The Rep called me back first thing morning, he was VERY friendly and I could tell he wanted to help get the info I wanted. That's already a plus in my book.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #15

On the PUP we have now (not a Jayco, but we're coming back to Jayco soon), the upholstery on the dinette seats was pretty loose, and one of those little sticky feet on the stove cover was missing, and there was a small hole in the canvas over the dinette - but we took her home anyway 'cause we had a trip coming up, on which we knew it wasn't going to rain, so those problems weren't going to get in the way. We had everything but the loose upholstery fixed later. I don't think the shop guys understood about the upholstery, or had no idea how to fix it. (I haven't bothered to take it anywhere else. I just keep smoothing it out.)
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #16

We sort of ordered a new Jayco - our dealer said if we don't want it when it comes in, he'll just keep it for on the lot - so we're playing the waiting game now. (It's a 2016 and they haven't quite started production yet!) In the meantime, I've checked with another local dealership (20 miles away rather than 80) to see if they have any advance pix of the new exterior/interior graphics/upholsteries, anything that the farther-away guys haven't shown us.

So ... I put that I'm looking for advance pix in the live chat box on their website, and the guy comes back with "Do you have a trade-in?" I explained that we do, but are not ready to buy yet, and want to know if they have access to advance pix. He asks if we're going to pay cash or finance.

The other dealer, 80 or so miles away, has been answering questions for us since November, with never a sigh or an exasperated look, and without ever bringing up anything about money. They are an indy dealership, not part of a national chain, and they only sell Jaycos 'cause they think Jaycos are better than anything else out there. They've never pushed or pressured, not in e-mail or in person. They've gone out of their way to show us features, in models we're not looking for, that match the features that will be on the 2016s. (And they are nice to our dog. People at the national chains tend to ignore the dog completely.)

We will be driving the extra few miles to the small dealership, even if we could - who knows? - get a better price at the larger, closer place. We think it's really important to have a dealership you like and trust. The other one has a fine rep and I'm sure they're nice people, but we're still goin' with the smaller, more personable place. We had our first PUP (a Jayco) from them and they were fine for service, too.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-n-Ash View Post
We sort of ordered a new Jayco - our dealer said if we don't want it when it comes in, he'll just keep it for on the lot - so we're playing the waiting game now. (It's a 2016 and they haven't quite started production yet!) In the meantime, I've checked with another local dealership (20 miles away rather than 80) to see if they have any advance pix of the new exterior/interior graphics/upholsteries, anything that the farther-away guys haven't shown us.

So ... I put that I'm looking for advance pix in the live chat box on their website, and the guy comes back with "Do you have a trade-in?" I explained that we do, but are not ready to buy yet, and want to know if they have access to advance pix. He asks if we're going to pay cash or finance.

The other dealer, 80 or so miles away, has been answering questions for us since November, with never a sigh or an exasperated look, and without ever bringing up anything about money. They are an indy dealership, not part of a national chain, and they only sell Jaycos 'cause they think Jaycos are better than anything else out there. They've never pushed or pressured, not in e-mail or in person. They've gone out of their way to show us features, in models we're not looking for, that match the features that will be on the 2016s. (And they are nice to our dog. People at the national chains tend to ignore the dog completely.)

We will be driving the extra few miles to the small dealership, even if we could - who knows? - get a better price at the larger, closer place. We think it's really important to have a dealership you like and trust. The other one has a fine rep and I'm sure they're nice people, but we're still goin' with the smaller, more personable place. We had our first PUP (a Jayco) from them and they were fine for service, too.
We are actually purchasing our unit from a dealer 6 hours away from us. We looked at the two dealers in our area, one of them kept trying to sell us something we didn't want just because it was in stock. The other dealer told us if we ordered a unit from them we needed to give them a non-refundable deposit. We were ordering because we wanted a genset and a particular colored interior (not in lot stock). I had no problem giving a deposit, but the dealer told us if something happened and we had to cancel the deal we would lose our deposit. When I questioned that, the owner of the place very rudely informed me that he would remove the genset when the unit came in and I could come get it instead of my deposit.
After that I found the place we actually ordered from online, they have been very helpful, no pressure sales and we saved a nice bit of money going with them. When I asked about the deposit I was told if the order could be stopped I would get my deposit back at that point. If he had to take delivery of the unit, once he sold it I would get the deposit back. Fair enough I thought.

It's amazing how some places operate and still stay in business.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #18

I'm going to +1 a couple points mentioned in here:
1) "Treat them like toddlers". I completely agree with that point. Not that I think technicians need to be treated like children, they are professionals after all, but you need to be VERY specific about what you want and need. Get it all in writing and clarify repeatedly. At the end of the conversation, summarize everything you talked about making sure everyone is on the same page. This went a LONG way in getting what I wanted when I took my trailer in for a couple repairs.
2) IMHO it's a good idea to purchase from the dealer who will treat you right even if it's more money. There will most likely be some level of warranty work on your unit, unfortunately that's just the way it is. I would MUCH rather pay a little more for my trailer, and create a relationship with my dealer than to pay a rock bottom price and be ignored completely the moment I leave the lot. I probably could've negotiated the price of my trailer down some, but I feel like I got a fair deal, and to me it's worth it to be treated better.

I've been lucky with my dealer, but it didn't just come. I work at keeping a relationship with the GM of my dealership, and he knows me. He knows I know what I'm talking about and that I'm an "easy" customer (I'm not going to waste his time). The only thing I regret is that I don't know anyone in the market that I can refer over to him; none of our close friends/family are into RVing or they already have their rigs.

Relating to the OP, I didn't have any problems with my trailer when I picked it up. I've had a couple problems since I've owned it, but they've been addressed quickly and to my satisfaction by the dealer. If I noticed something at the PDI, I would have asked that it be fixed before we took delivery depending on the severity.

One of the first rules is to check your emotions at the door (or gate in this case). Don't get all excited about bringing your trailer home and using it right away. Don't plan a trip for the weekend after your PDI on Thursday. You're liable to overlook something or let something slide because of the excitement of the new toy or the trip you planned and dreamed about for a few weeks or months while you were waiting to go pick up the rig.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'm going to +1 a couple points mentioned in here:
1) "Treat them like toddlers". I completely agree with that point. Not that I think technicians need to be treated like children, they are professionals after all, but you need to be VERY specific about what you want and need. Get it all in writing and clarify repeatedly. At the end of the conversation, summarize everything you talked about making sure everyone is on the same page. This went a LONG way in getting what I wanted when I took my trailer in for a couple repairs.
2) IMHO it's a good idea to purchase from the dealer who will treat you right even if it's more money. There will most likely be some level of warranty work on your unit, unfortunately that's just the way it is. I would MUCH rather pay a little more for my trailer, and create a relationship with my dealer than to pay a rock bottom price and be ignored completely the moment I leave the lot. I probably could've negotiated the price of my trailer down some, but I feel like I got a fair deal, and to me it's worth it to be treated better.

I've been lucky with my dealer, but it didn't just come. I work at keeping a relationship with the GM of my dealership, and he knows me. He knows I know what I'm talking about and that I'm an "easy" customer (I'm not going to waste his time). The only thing I regret is that I don't know anyone in the market that I can refer over to him; none of our close friends/family are into RVing or they already have their rigs.

Relating to the OP, I didn't have any problems with my trailer when I picked it up. I've had a couple problems since I've owned it, but they've been addressed quickly and to my satisfaction by the dealer. If I noticed something at the PDI, I would have asked that it be fixed before we took delivery depending on the severity.

One of the first rules is to check your emotions at the door (or gate in this case). Don't get all excited about bringing your trailer home and using it right away. Don't plan a trip for the weekend after your PDI on Thursday. You're liable to overlook something or let something slide because of the excitement of the new toy or the trip you planned and dreamed about for a few weeks or months while you were waiting to go pick up the rig.
Points taken, thanks.
We plan to do the PDI, address any immediate issues and hopefully have them resolved at that time if possible. Then we are going to stay (2) nights in a CG down the road from the dealer. If anything else comes up it will be back for the fix before we leave town. I've already given this plan to the owner of the dealership and he agreed completely.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
Points taken, thanks.
We plan to do the PDI, address any immediate issues and hopefully have them resolved at that time if possible. Then we are going to stay (2) nights in a CG down the road from the dealer. If anything else comes up it will be back for the fix before we leave town. I've already given this plan to the owner of the dealership and he agreed completely.
That's a fantastic plan.

One of the dealerships I shopped had their own CG behind the dealership. When you came to pick up your trailer, they would let you stay there for free one night, help you set up your trailer for the night, and address any issues the next day right on the spot. I thought that was a pretty neat idea, but I didn't get along with the salesman at all, and I wasn't impressed with their service department. Just my experience.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote