Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #1

Question Q about your mail while travelling

With retirement approaching the Bride and I are looking forward to some extended adventures. Presently that pesky day-job limits the number of days we can be on the road.
For you folks that are travelling a month or more at a time how do you manage your mail while on the road?

Just kidding about the "pesky day-job", I'm actually very thankful to be employed.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #2

You can have the post office forward it to you once a week, $17.00 weekly. The only problem is if you are moving frequently you have to fill out a new application for each move. Escapees also provides a mail forwarding for members so you may want to look into joining. We have found that we get little if any 1st class mail since we do all bills and banking on line.

Since we are always in the same campground for the winter we just get a PO box for the year at the local post office and do a temp change of address.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

We have our mail opened by a trusted friend. He sorts out all the junk, which is 90%, opens anything that looks like a check and deposits it, and forwards us anything important. Almost everything is on line. We give him a friends house that we will be at in the near future. Amazing how little mail now.

23MB Jay Flight
Fairbanks AK
Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #4

I started using a mail forwarding service here in Michigan when I went full time. However, just got a letter from the Michigan Dept. of State, saying that the address they gave me is a business and can't be used on my driver's license as my residence. If I don't get the issue resolved within the next 30 days, they'll revoke my driver's license. Don't know what I'll do if they won't accept the mail forwarding service address. Thought about using my sister's address, but she's in the Detroit area. Her zip code will most certainly increase my car insurance premiums. May have to check out a mail forwarding service in S. Dakota, where all you need to declare residency (and get a driver's license) is a receipt for one night's stay in a S.D. motel or campground.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I started using a mail forwarding service here in Michigan when I went full time. However, just got a letter from the Michigan Dept. of State, saying that the address they gave me is a business and can't be used on my driver's license as my residence. If I don't get the issue resolved within the next 30 days, they'll revoke my driver's license. Don't know what I'll do if they won't accept the mail forwarding service address. Thought about using my sister's address, but she's in the Detroit area. Her zip code will most certainly increase my car insurance premiums. May have to check out a mail forwarding service in S. Dakota, where all you need to declare residency (and get a driver's license) is a receipt for one night's stay in a S.D. motel or campground.
Don't leave the Mitten man...don't do it.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #6

I find what's harder than the mail( and that's not that easy for us) it's Doctors appointments if needed or a good Vet. for my dog if needed. Getting your pills mailed to you.We just asked Pismo Sands RV Resort if we could have our voters cards mailed here and they said" we're not a mail service".
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

We used our son's address as the temporary. He forwarded almost everything to us when we were going to be in a place long enough to get it. I would be comfortable with other family members or a good friend doing it also. We made him a stack of big envelopes with his return address on them to make things easier.

Edit: ... just saw Tunce's post. There were vets at reasonable distances most of the time. The medications can be transferred to a national chain (might be more expensive). We didn't need a doctor, but we had several neighbors at different places make medical appointments. I don't know the details. Don't know what Pismo's thinking was about; any place we ever stayed received mail for us. In their behalf, receiving and distributing mail is a PITA for transient customers - maybe they had a bad experience.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Site Team

We have the PO hold our mail and deliver when we arrive home. All checks are direct deposited and all bills are notified and paid online.
Most U.S. Mail we get is junk mail.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #9

Mail I dont get no stinking mail anymore.. I went E with everything.. can even renew drivers lic and plates on-line. Any magazines I get now have to have a digital version or I say Bye bye to them.. that only leaves junk mail. and who cares about that..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #10

Ditto on the no real mail anymore. 90% of the stuff in our home mailbox is junk. We do still get most of our regular bills mailed to us but when on the road, we check our online accounts or get emails with the amount / dates due. All our monthly bills are set up on a bank bill pay so we take care of it all online just like when we are home.

Don't use the postoffice service to forward or hold our mail. just don't trust them to keep my status confidential as am aware of times when homes were broken into when PO was notified that owners were going to be gone. We use a friend who stops by a couple times a week and bring in the mail and do a house check. She is on the look out for anything we might be expecting.

The key to all this is to go electronic and get everything direct deposited [pension checks, SS benefits, Dividend payments etc]. If you're getting your bills paid and your $$ flowing, what else is there to worry about. Keep in touch with family and friends via email or social media [not me] and that leaves the stuff in my mailbox as non important. Have come home after being away for 2 months and had 2 boxes full of christmas catelogs, landscape mags [wife orders some plants each spring and they bury you with paper] and general junk. Usually wait 24 hours after getting home and then settle into the recliner and take an hour or so going thru all of it. 99% never gets opened and goes directly into the trash. The other 1% gets opened and then about 90% goes in the trash. The remaining 10% of the 1% that gets opened and survives the trip to the trash can gets handed to my wife or is filed in a pile that eventually ends up in the trash a week or so down the road.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Site Team

We recycle all paper. They love it when we come home.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote