Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

Angry Quality???

Drove my new Jayco Whitehawk 23MRB straight from the dealer to Sequoia National Park. (198 Miles) Got to camp.
1. 1/2 of the drivers side fender had snapped off.
2. The valance was off the wall and upon closer inspection was never screwed in. Only 2 of the 4 holes were there.
3 Unpacked the murphy bed, and mattress. When pulled mattress back a lot of saw dust and wood trimmings under the mattress.
4. Stepped on some pieces left from the assembly.
5. slider windows wont lock......

Trip was great, but I hope this initial trip isn't a sign of future things to come.
skiermanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

There are always little things that need to be taken care of on a new RV. You will find more. I guarantee it.

Some dealers clean them up real nice... others not so much.

Get yourself a basic tool kit and keep it with you. Screws will come loose as you drive. It's the nature of hauling a trailer down the road.

A vacuum will clean up under the bed. You probably have one at home. Ask your wife to show you how to use it. Sweep the floor so you don't step on things while your at it.

Your dealer will probably be able to replace the fender for you and drill the other two holes on your valance and remount it for you.

It's a bummer that these things happen, but welcome to the world of owning a RV.
Glad you had a good trip. That's what it's all about.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Ask your wife to show you how to use it.
Stuff like this is why I always seem to come back here. Thanks for the laugh

To the OP, it's probably a good idea to get yourself mentally prepared for your first 2 or 3 trips basically being an extension of the PDI you (started) at the dealership. It took us a couple trips to shake everything out.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #4

I am surprised by the fender, as they had to transport the unit, and it did not come off them.

As for the sawdust, you'll find more, it seams to migrate to the same areas. We had to vacuum up some after each trip for 3-5 trips.

You'll also find some other items over this next year, as things vibrate loose. Once fixed up you should be good.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Site Team

How many people would take possession of a new rig and take off on a trip from the dealer lot on a camping trip?

Sorry you have problems but I can't imagine anyone doing that.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Good point. But the trip was planned and they were 4 days behind the "detailing".
skiermanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
bap

Why is everyone making excuses for the factory and the dealer? It should have been ready to go right out and camp. The owner shouldn't have to fix a new camper to go out camping. I bet none of you took possession of your Tow Vehicle expecting to go home and fix it so you could use it.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Why is everyone making excuses for the factory and the dealer? It should have been ready to go right out and camp. The owner shouldn't have to fix a new camper to go out camping. I bet none of you took possession of your Tow Vehicle expecting to go home and fix it so you could use it.
There's close to a billion threads on here that cover this.

A camper thrown together by minimum wage workers that are unable to keep up with consumer demand - in a highly unregulated industry is going to have some issues. It's just the way it is. Should it be? No.... Is it reality? Unfortunately yes.

"Why is everyone making excuses" - There's a difference between making excuses, and simply pointing out the obvious.

My 500K brick and stick home had some issues the first year too. It took me a few months to shake all of those out as well, and that's in an industry that is heavily regulated, permitted, and under government oversight 10 times to the degree of a Thor product. Did I expect there would be issues then too? Absolutely. Even the Space Shuttle exploded a few times.

10 minutes of research on any 'RV' forum on the internet will show this is the case for every camper manufactured in the world. Your alternatives are to A) not buy a camper. B) pay triple the price on an Airstream (also made by Thor and pray there aren't problems with it too. Or C) Realize that your getting an awlful lot of bang for your buck out of these houses on wheels and there's a 2 year warranty for you to take advantage of.

I think maybe 70% of the people that buy campers actually understand what they are getting into... most of those will be happy. The other 30% are disgusted by the whole thing and give up the RV lifestyle.

Remember how bad American cars and trucks were back in the 70's? It wasn't until the Japanese came in and smacked us around for a good 15 years that our auto industry got the message. You want a better product? Wait for competition to drive it.. it will happen eventually. Thor is also publicly traded and the shareholders have obviously come to the conclusion that X number of defects per unit is an acceptable loss. When a competitor can do better, for the same or less - Thor's share price will reflect that, and they will implement the required changes, or disappear from the market like the 'big 3' almost have, several times. If Thor had the competition Ford Motor Company has, you'd be paying 62K for a Jayflight and it would be 'nearly perfect' out the door. Just like my new F250 is going to be.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
How many people would take possession of a new rig and take off on a trip from the dealer lot on a camping trip?

Sorry you have problems but I can't imagine anyone doing that.

What better way than that to get started? Might as well start using it right away. Don't you do the same when you move into a house?
I did the same thing 2 weekends ago. Granted it was an overnight stay at a local campground about 10 miles from the dealer. In any event I found a ton of saw dust and metal shavings throughout the trailer. No biggy. Some of the other more serious things were nail pops, some obvious corrections made through to the walls where staples came through. It almost looks like they compounded over them. Today I noticed A huge screw under the sink cabinet that's coming in from the outside that missed the box it was meant to screw into. Lol
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Sounds like a good poll? Where is Crabman when you need him.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #11

Wait till you have to get under a cabinet or space not normally gotten in to, man all the screws you will find and some sawdust
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #12

Yes, we took our rig directly from the dealer to our camping spot. We full time. No house to go back to.

Quality. Yep, try buying a new house. We had a contractor in the family so we made a 'punch list' for the builder. We went through and marked off many, many things that were missed (on a relatively expensive house).

No, it is not supposed to happen that way, but, it does. Some are better than others and if you pay for a higher end unit you should have fewer problems. But, there will still be problems.

Most of the things people find as 'problems' are so minor that I would not even consider that an issue. Things like sawdust. Or loose screws rolling around. Or a wire hanging down a bit. Or graphics a bit off.

OTOH, Doors and other items not mounted securely are an issue. Not something I'd take a dealer, but, they will get reported to Jayco once I have my complete list done.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I am surprised by the fender, as they had to transport the unit, and it did not come off them.
X-2 especially since most transport drivers don't drive casually..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #14

To be honest, I am surprised and apprehensive about purchasing a Jayco. We have owned 2 Coachmen and 1 Palomino Puma. All were purchased New from reputable dealers and we never had any problems with any of them. 1 was purchased in the 80's, 1 in the 90's and our present one 4 years ago. Jayco has always had a good reputation, but things do change and not always for the best. I can only hope our new Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS has few problems.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
To be honest, I am surprised and apprehensive about purchasing a Jayco. We have owned 2 Coachmen and 1 Palomino Puma. All were purchased New from reputable dealers and we never had any problems with any of them. 1 was purchased in the 80's, 1 in the 90's and our present one 4 years ago. Jayco has always had a good reputation, but things do change and not always for the best. I can only hope our new Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS has few problems.

Ruth, you're only hearing the complainers.

I've been hauling my 32BHDS approximately 5,000 miles per year, and some full winter seasonal camping. Basically.... I've been beating on my camper and putting it away wet since October 2014.

Not a single complaint from me, my wife, or two daughters!

Just this past friday, I hauled from New England, over hogback mountain through Vermont, and out to the adirondacks. I turned around and came back on Sunday. That trailer never missed a beat, I ran the sides in and out on road picnic stops, used the outside kitchen, and the girls bang on the black tank like you read about!

In other words, this Jayco has been the most rugged, forgiving trailer I've ever owned. Heck, I'm still on the OEM battery from 2014, and he trailer is plugged in 365/24.

My darn Tow Max tires are even original!

Look, there are a lot of people who complain about "quality" and "workmanship." Hog wash! Get your shop vac out and vaccum your brand new camper! Tighten a couple screws!

If people really got what they think they wanted, our trailers would all cost what an airstream does. And the air streams hAve there fair share of problems. Then RVing would be out of reach for most people.

I've rebuilt forest river products, and there is no comparison between floor joists, ceiling joists, and plumbing. The Jayco wins every time. They all use crappy paneling and then Try to fool us with hardwood drawer fronts. I'd prefer not hardwood to keep weight down.

Now stop worrying and go get your new Jayco! If you want classic traditional construction, go with a jayflight, NOT a jayflight SLX.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Ruth, you're only hearing the complainers.

I've been hauling my 32BHDS approximately 5,000 miles per year, and some full winter seasonal camping. Basically.... I've been beating on my camper and putting it away wet since October 2014.

Not a single complaint from me, my wife, or two daughters!

Just this past friday, I hauled from New England, over hogback mountain through Vermont, and out to the adirondacks. I turned around and came back on Sunday. That trailer never missed a beat, I ran the sides in and out on road picnic stops, used the outside kitchen, and the girls bang on the black tank like you read about!

In other words, this Jayco has been the most rugged, forgiving trailer I've ever owned. Heck, I'm still on the OEM battery from 2014, and he trailer is plugged in 365/24.

My darn Tow Max tires are even original!

Look, there are a lot of people who complain about "quality" and "workmanship." Hog wash! Get your shop vac out and vaccum your brand new camper! Tighten a couple screws!

If people really got what they think they wanted, our trailers would all cost what an airstream does. And the air streams hAve there fair share of problems. Then RVing would be out of reach for most people.

I've rebuilt forest river products, and there is no comparison between floor joists, ceiling joists, and plumbing. The Jayco wins every time. They all use crappy paneling and then Try to fool us with hardwood drawer fronts. I'd prefer not hardwood to keep weight down.

Now stop worrying and go get your new Jayco! If you want classic traditional construction, go with a jayflight, NOT a jayflight SLX.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
Thank you Craig!! I know there are people who expect everything to ne perfect, but after owning 3 TTs I know better. We fixed a few minor problems on all our trailers. We are looking forward to our new FW. We decided we liked the size of our TT, but it is a little difficult to park both in our yard, uphill driveway, and in some cgs. We are getting an Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS. It is shorter and should be easier to park. Hoping to see it this week..

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Thank you Craig!! I know there are people who expect everything to ne perfect, but after owning 3 TTs I know better. We fixed a few minor problems on all our trailers. We are looking forward to our new FW. We decided we liked the size of our TT, but it is a little difficult to park both in our yard, uphill driveway, and in some cgs. We are getting an Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS. It is shorter and should be easier to park. Hoping to see it this week..

You are gonna love that HT! have fun.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
You are gonna love that HT! have fun.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
We are planning to!!!

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 06-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #19

They made them better in the 80's. They even sent a Winnebago into space in the movie "spaceballs". I think my Precept would come apart at the seams.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
There's close to a billion threads on here that cover this.

A camper thrown together by minimum wage workers that are unable to keep up with consumer demand - in a highly unregulated industry is going to have some issues. It's just the way it is. Should it be? No.... Is it reality? Unfortunately yes.

"Why is everyone making excuses" - There's a difference between making excuses, and simply pointing out the obvious.

My 500K brick and stick home had some issues the first year too. It took me a few months to shake all of those out as well, and that's in an industry that is heavily regulated, permitted, and under government oversight 10 times to the degree of a Thor product. Did I expect there would be issues then too? Absolutely. Even the Space Shuttle exploded a few times.

10 minutes of research on any 'RV' forum on the internet will show this is the case for every camper manufactured in the world. Your alternatives are to A) not buy a camper. B) pay triple the price on an Airstream (also made by Thor and pray there aren't problems with it too. Or C) Realize that your getting an awlful lot of bang for your buck out of these houses on wheels and there's a 2 year warranty for you to take advantage of.

I think maybe 70% of the people that buy campers actually understand what they are getting into... most of those will be happy. The other 30% are disgusted by the whole thing and give up the RV lifestyle.

Remember how bad American cars and trucks were back in the 70's? It wasn't until the Japanese came in and smacked us around for a good 15 years that our auto industry got the message. You want a better product? Wait for competition to drive it.. it will happen eventually. Thor is also publicly traded and the shareholders have obviously come to the conclusion that X number of defects per unit is an acceptable loss. When a competitor can do better, for the same or less - Thor's share price will reflect that, and they will implement the required changes, or disappear from the market like the 'big 3' almost have, several times. If Thor had the competition Ford Motor Company has, you'd be paying 62K for a Jayflight and it would be 'nearly perfect' out the door. Just like my new F250 is going to be.
Bansai - Hallabalooya and AMEN brother! I'd like to add my .02 to your already spot on point here. Why did I get the impression that campers were hand made by Amish folks in the country? ok, maybe it was that infomercial I saw on tv. LOL - The truth is most all companies say one thing but do another. As I get older, I find myself scrutinizing everything more and more with a tendency of being "cheap". For example, I would NEVER go into some RV dealer and pay sticker price. I think (and hope) that most everyone knows that's a no-no. So knowing there's a bit of wiggle room with MSRP, I go 1 step farther - I'm a COSTCO member and I will STICK IT to the dealer on the price. I'll get it for invoice and make them pay for shipping if I can. Some of you might say "man, what a budget bird!" (cheap cheap cheap). I know that after I buy that thing, I'll be back for add on's, doo dads, warranty work, etc. and I know they'll get their $$ on the backend. If the dealer is a volume dealer, they're most likely getting kickbacks for that on top of extras so nobody's kid is going hungry today. Yet, I digress...

Like cars, campers are right in line with the industry. You get what you pay for. You buy a cheap AMC Gremlin, you get a funny looking green car that blows up if you get rear ended.. oh wait, that was a Pinto! Anyhow.. same thing, inexpensive (Stick & Tin) campers are just the bare minimum. You'll see the more you pay, the quality goes up a bit. Then you find the one that matches your comfort level. At the end of the day, you'll probably still find a flaw somewhere. It's not often you get a maintenance free anything. I will take a moment to thank the people of Japan for upping the game and getting our guys on the band wagon. I mean when you talk to a group of people, what car brand do they blurt out the most? Toyota? Honda? - sad but true I'm afraid. Being a red blooded American, I traded up my car for a new FORD F250. God Bless America!

p.s. - I stuck it to FORD too!