Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #1

Question on RV Show pricing

What's been the experience of those of you that have purchased a camper of any sort at RV shows across the country? Specifically, I wondered if anyone has struck a better deal than the advertised "show" price that they promote on the campers on those particular weekends (msrp - discount - show discount - rebate if any = show price)? Some may say they had some "free" upgrades thrown in but I wondered if anyone ever cut the dollar at the bottom line. Im just trying to maximize a potential show purchase in Grand Rapids, MI today before they shut down. Thanks!

Jerry

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #2

Question on RV Show pricing

When I bought our first Jayco I went to a RV show in MD where there was only one Jayco dealer present. Their show prices were no different than their online prices. I found a much better deal online in PA. I’ve heard of shows being a good way to get a deal but wasn’t my experience. We tried a show in VA also but they weren’t lower either.

For our second trailer we skipped the shows and got an online quotes from RVDirect and contacted multiple dealers and no one could beat their prices.

Do yourself a favor. Get a quick online quote from RVDirect and take it to the show. See if any one can match or beat the quote you get.

https://www.rvdirect.com/Jayco/
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #3

I bought our camper at a show and got a price $3,000 less than the advertised "special". I did a Google search and found the identical camper 3 states away and they still honored it. The only hick up was when I went to pick it up. The camper was not only not ready it had not even been delivered from the other dealer. I didn't want to drive 60 miles to pick it up so I asked if I could pick it up at the dealer closer to me. But that even worked out for me because long story short I was given a $500 credit in the store which covered the purchase of everything I needed to camp like sewer house etc. They claimed that because they dealt with so many sales at the show they weren't prepared so all the paperwork did not get processed like it should have afterward.
I recommend doing a Google search of any unit you like, you may find that the price they have advertised is not the lowest out there. I think I saved close the o or just over $7,000 off the suggested retail. Also, be prepared to be badgered to buy all the extra warranty and extras they will want you to buy. They may also tell you if you don't finance with them you won't get the tax info you need to deduct the interest at the end of the yr. Bull, almost any bank will supply that at the end of the yr.
One more note, there financing was okay but I ended up refinanced with my credit union when all was said and done at a far better rate.
I went to get ideas on campers and ended up with one. Not the plan but it all worked out.
Happy lookin, just don't go in there intent on walking out with something and you'll be better off

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

I think that's going to depend on the dealership that you talk to at the show.
If it's late in the model year, you may find that, although they're showing the Latest and Greatest, they may have last year's model still in inventory, and offer a deal to get them off the lot. It pays to ask.

We bought our 19XUD from a small local show (basically, just one dealership, who took over the parking lot of our local mall) and, while I don't think we got a deal on price, we got a very generous trade-in and very painless finance. We went there "just to look", and came away with a new trailer :-)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

We bought ours at the Indy RV Show. Apparently manufacturers give extra incentives to dealers at show time so they can sell at a potentially lower price. To this day I still reflect on the deal I got at the show and still find it quite unbelievable how good it was with the extras thrown in [maxxair covers, slide covers, custom cover etc.] Would I buy at a show again? Probably but I would do as others have stated as in taking an online quote with me on a specific unit I was interested in to see if the price could be matched or for just comparing prices.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #6

Financing and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I bought our camper at a show and got a price $3,000 less than the advertised "special". I did a Google search and found the identical camper 3 states away and they still honored it. The only hick up was when I went to pick it up. The camper was not only not ready it had not even been delivered from the other dealer. I didn't want to drive 60 miles to pick it up so I asked if I could pick it up at the dealer closer to me. But that even worked out for me because long story short I was given a $500 credit in the store which covered the purchase of everything I needed to camp like sewer house etc. They claimed that because they dealt with so many sales at the show they weren't prepared so all the paperwork did not get processed like it should have afterward.
I recommend doing a Google search of any unit you like, you may find that the price they have advertised is not the lowest out there. I think I saved close the o or just over $7,000 off the suggested retail. Also, be prepared to be badgered to buy all the extra warranty and extras they will want you to buy. They may also tell you if you don't finance with them you won't get the tax info you need to deduct the interest at the end of the yr. Bull, almost any bank will supply that at the end of the yr.
One more note, there financing was okay but I ended up refinanced with my credit union when all was said and done at a far better rate.
I went to get ideas on campers and ended up with one. Not the plan but it all worked out.
Happy lookin, just don't go in there intent on walking out with something and you'll be better off

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I don’t know if the show prices are better or not but I feel I got a good deal with my 2016 Jayfilght which was already on the lot. It already had a lot of the extras (I guess that’s a difference between the regular Jayflight vs SLX). I got mine in April 2016 and paid 19,500 and asked for a slide topper which added another $500 so out the door was $20,000. They waived the delivery charge, etc.
However I have a GREAT Credit Union for car loans but they could not touch the dealership interest rates for the RV!
I am going to RV shows next week just out of curiosity and have heard that’s the best place to buy them, but I agree with others that if they already have one on the lot they are more likely to cut you a deal especially compared to doing a special order from the factory. May not apply to you though as they are also trying to sell at the show. You may consider waiting till the last day of the show towards the end of the day and if the unit is still available they may be more willing to negotiate!
Good Luck and as others have said, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to buy

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #7

RV shows are a great place to shop and compare different brands and floorplans. You may or may not get a “good deal.” What matters is that you find the right floor plan for your situation and that it falls within your budget. It helps to find a good dealer but I found that the manufacturer support is most important. I bought my Precept at an RV show a year ago but I had already researched online and knew what I wanted before I went there. I was able to negotiate a little under the advertised show price but I knew ahead of time what I was willing to pay. The 2 year Jayco warranty was also important to me. Happiness is being satisfied with what you have, not with what you wish you had. Do your homework, find the RV you like and can afford at the time you make your purchase and you won’t have any regrets. Good luck with your shopping experience and let us know what you end up with.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #8

Just went through this

Going to be a bit long, apologies. We just bought a Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 264BH at the Indy RV Show. Just picked it up yesterday. I was satisfied with the deal but am sure I didn't steal it. My experience now is that there are many factors in the deal.

Show price: $12,995. Looking at RV Trader this was indeed about $1000 less than the lowest cost I saw there. That matched what the sales rep said was a manufacturer incentive. Further, our sales rep, who was excellent and the key to our deal said that deal would be there for the show only. Then for a month the price would go up to $13,995. Then it would go to $15,995 and stay there. He said with this particular model and its popularity they would not budge from that price. We have a family connection to this rep and I feel he was honest though I also think there is also room to negotiate.

Other costs: There were 4 additional costs. I expected them so I went in with my eyes open but they are a part of the deal none the less. First there was taxes. Second a destination charge, a documents charge, and a third that I don't recall exactly what they called it. Taxes are a flat percentage, Those fees were approximately $350, $190, and $700+. I gathered you can negotiate those fees but with the show incentive I had no success.

Trade: I traded in an old unit and I spoke with several dealers. All were about the same range. Our dealer did take it "as is" so I didn't have to worry about getting to the table and having the price change if they found something. I did not want to sell mine myself as it is stored on a lot and would have meant a hassle to show it plus a good chance I'd have to pay a second monthly fee for some time for the new unit and the old.

Service: I paid $100 to move my WD hitch from the old unit to the new. It's something I could do but this was attractive from a hassle. I was told the pro had done this hundreds of times and would set it up perfectly for my tow vehicle. This ended up being a huge disappointment. My Reese system had four bolts that were stripped coming out. They didn't have the replacements. Instead they put on an Eaz Lift and gave me all the components off my WD hitch. Further, I was told my Reese was overkill and this new system would save me much time every hook up. Problem is the new system is WD only, no sway control. This is a hot button for me. We do a long trip each year and I've found myself in 50 mph cross winds on rare occasions. Though my old unit is much shorter than the new 29' rig we bought, I've never had any sway, just a rock solid towing line. It is even more important going forward because an unstable towing experience would probably cause me to give it up. Bottom line, they sort of had me. I could have left or could have rescheduled but in the end decided I'd just put it on myself. Should only take an hour or so but I've got some hassles to make it happen (hardware, ball switch, finding a place and good weather, adjusting for properly balance between the camper, tow vehicle, etc.) The WD hitch I now have retails for more than the charge so I didn't get completely ripped off but I also have no use for it. Any body looking for a deal on an Eaz Lift, I'm your man.

Bottom line: Good and bad. Satisfied with the deal, good sales rep but typical dealer issues.
Trout34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm sort of torn about buying at an RV show and RV show pricing. My local Forest River dealer, and the local Jayco dealer that I purchased from, both participate actively in the Pittsburgh RV show every year. Both also advertise very openly at the show and online that their "Show Prices" are their "Everyday Low Prices". I realize it is just marketing, but I followed the inventory at both places both at the show and at the dealership and they really don't change their pricing only for the show. I'm sure that there are cases where some dealers may offer a better price at a show. It really is going to depend.

In can't stress this enough, you HAVE to do your research BEFORE you make your buying decision. That includes knowing all of the extra fees that may or may not be included if you make a deal based on an advertised price. This also applies when shopping online at the many Mega Dealers that exist in 2018.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #10
Site Team

My experience at RV and boat shows is the prices usually are nothing special, in some cases they are not deals at all, hoping for an emotional impulse on the spot sale. A friend bought one at a show but later realized his deal was not so great. But when they walked through it his wife said this is the one and they signed......That being said there are still deals to be had, just go in armed with info, dont make an impulse purchase. Give yourself a night to sleep on it. If the salseman says the price is only good for today chances are hes bluffing and you can still buy one tomorrow.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #11

Same here from the show in schaumburg illinois January/2018 we were interested in the Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS fifth wheel. Articles like these stopped our purchase:

2017 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
Overall Rating
Livability
Overall Quality
Floor Plan
Driving / Towing
Factory Warranty / Support:

My wife & I fell in love with this Pinnacle after looking at 3 other $80,000 to $100,000 range 5th wheels. We took delivery of our model 36FBTS exactly 2 weeks ago and we have a list of issues:
1) broken light fixture,
2) broken antenna cable,
3) missing guides on sliding doors,
4) tires rubbing on top of wheel wells & slide outs,
5) toilet mounted too high & cracked the flange,
6) trunk door rubs & at times won't open,
7) two clearance lights falling out,
8) door on 1/2 bath warped,
9) very weak (almost NO) brakes,
10) construction debris on tops of slides chewing up the seals,
11) soft floor in main bath feels like it's ready to crack & give way.

Overall, VERY BAD Quality Control. Looks like all Jayco is worried about is beating the clock. I owned a 1988 Jayco Designer 5th wheel, and the craftsmanship was far superior then what it is now. WHAT HAPPENED JAYCO ....NO PRIDE IN YOUR PRODUCT ANYMORE??? Thank God I have a GREAT dealer trying desperately to rectify my problems so that I can finally get on the road. - Wayne R. , New Jersey

Now it back to the shows.
JaycoQuest294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
hoping for an emotional impulse on the spot sale.
Yep it's called "Show Fever" and there is no cure for this temporary but hideous disease. I had a wee bout this year but quickly came to my senses after my wife basically gave me a right cross.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Yep it's called "Show Fever" and there is no cure for this temporary but hideous disease. I had a wee bout this year but quickly came to my senses after my wife basically gave me a right cross.
My problem was just the opposite. A few years back we were at a show and my DW liked all the big, heavy, expensive trailers. We looked at one particular 5er she fell in loved with, it was 40 something feet by Xxxxx lbs heavy by out of my budget. I just said yeah its nice but I have no truck to pull it and it wont fit in most of our favorite state park sites. Oh yeah and its 80 grand. I nipped that one in the bud lol.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #14

I would recommend using Jayco’s website with building your unit, seeing the MSRP instantly. Take 27-34% off that MSRP and that’s the range the dealer can sell it to you. Wether he does or not is up to him. But if you go in and have educated yourself then he should know that he’s not going to try to fool you.
Add destination, 1,200, doc fee, 125 and you should be good to go. If your at the RV shows, simply use the calculator on your smartphone to see what % they are taking off the MSRP.
Don’t be afraid to offer even less.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #15

My expierance is that the “Show special Price” is just a marketing ploy. My local dealer match “show prices” all year long. I actually would take pictures on my phone of their “Show Price” so I would have a record of it. When I pulled it out 4 months later he didn’t bat an eye.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
What's been the experience of those of you that have purchased a camper of any sort at RV shows across the country? Specifically, I wondered if anyone has struck a better deal than the advertised "show" price that they promote on the campers on those particular weekends (msrp - discount - show discount - rebate if any = show price)? Some may say they had some "free" upgrades thrown in but I wondered if anyone ever cut the dollar at the bottom line. Im just trying to maximize a potential show purchase in Grand Rapids, MI today before they shut down. Thanks!

Jerry

I did similar to Southco. I got a quote from RVdirect and figured up what it would cost and my time to go pick it up from them and would have if I had to. Then I used that quote against as many dealers as I could that I felt like driving to. I had a dealer about 2 hours away from me come in with a deal that was a little higher but not worth me driving to pick our 2018 North Point 377RLBH up from RVdirect. I got approx. 35% off MSRP. But I also saw on line the same model marked up 10K to 15K above MSRP in Florida. YES totally crazy!!!! I guess the good part is with all dealers being independent its good for the buyer. Which one is hungry enough to make a sell. As others have mentioned about warranty work there's a bunch of negatives. I repair what I can myself as others do.
T&M_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #17

Just an FYI.

Some dealers (like ours) discounts the units based on how long they sit on the lot. If they are hot sellers there isn't much discount. If it sits for 6 months you can get a much lower price.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #18

First, thanks for all the comments, input and advice. I used every tool you folks offered here. So, like I mentioned to start off this thread, I went to the Grand Rapids, MI RV Show this past weekend. I actually went twice. I went Friday with the entire family and then returned on Sunday with the intention of making a purchase. We used the two days in between to research all the brochures we collected and educate ourselves on the different models as well as brands that we encountered. I did not zero in on one particular model but did lean toward the bunkhouse style with the three to four beds in the back behind a closed door. My wife was interested more in the bunk bed offering double beds that are immediately accessible to the living area without a door. The difference was 28 verses 33 feet on average. Her smaller size was the one we agreed to (smart call I thought, happy wife = happy life), which is probably going to be easier to learn to tow when I add 15' verses 20' to the current situation (13' PUP from bumper to hitch).

The two or three I asked for out the door prices on were all reduced by about 5-6% from show prices, which essentially covered my Michigan 6% sales tax. All fees were waived and it was to be a fresh camper that would become available to pick up in March.

All was good until I did a quick Google search of the same models and discovered several priced about $3,500 cheaper from other dealers. That took my $24,000 out the door show price to $20,500. I showed the sales rep and mentioned that I knew I could not determine what, if any, fees and tax might be added to that internet price. I did say that 6% on top of $20,500 still left me well over $2,000 cheaper elsewhere. The sales rep offered to have a distribution hitch installed at his cost of $250 verses the normal $650. I mentioned the obvious to him there that I was still $1,400 difference if I paid the $650 elsewhere. In the end, no purchase.

On another note, I'm going to pick up a 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4 with the tow package this Friday for the camper I will eventually purchase. It has a 9,000 pound tow capacity. :-)

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #19

We bought ours on the last day of the RV show close to closing time. We purchased the floor model which had the entertainment package already installed (TV). They had dropped the price even lower than the show price and because we bought the floor model our price was even lower. We paid a little over 1/2 of the MSRP. I would say in our case it was worth buying at the show!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #20

There have been some interesting upgrades made to the 2019 new truck lineup that should help make it a better stronger tow vehicle.

Ram
Dana Super 60.
3.6-liter Pentastar engine

3.92:1 gears and have a max towing rating of 12,750 pounds.

Ram will offer three axle ratio choices: 3.21:1, 3.55:1 and 3.92:1.

The Max Tow Package and it's the gear set attached to the configuration with the highest gross combined weight rating of 18,200 pounds.

Here are just a few examples, with the top payload and trailering combinations:
Quad Cab 4x2, 3.6-liter V-6: 3.55:1, 7,100 GVWR, 2,320 payload (max payload)

Quad Cab 4x2, 5.7-liter V-8 with eTorque: 3.92:1, 6,900 GVWR, 12,750 towing (max trailering)

Quad Cab 4x2, 5.7-liter: 3.21:1, 6,900 GVWR, 13,900 GCWR, 8,590 towing

Quad Cab 4x4, 3.6-liter V-6: 3.21:1, 6,800 GVWR, 11,900 GCWR, 6,460 towing

Crew cab 4x2, short box, 3.6-liter V-6: 3.55:1, 6,900 GVWR, 12,900 GCWR, 7,590 towing

Crew cab 4x4, short box, 5.7-liter V-8 with eTorque: 3.92:1, 7,100 GVWR, 17,000 GCWR, 11,190 towing

Crew cab 4x2, long box, 3.6-liter V-6: 3.55:1, 6,900 GVWR, 12,900 GCWR, 7,550 towing

Crew cab 4x4, long box, 5.7-liter V-8 with eTorque: 3.21:1, 7,100 GVWR, 13,900 GCWR, 8,080 towing

The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado has upgrades too.

I prefer the Diesel
JaycoQuest294 is offline   Reply With Quote