Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Questions on trip from Herald CA to Newport OR, via Hwy 1 and 101

I'm hoping to get lots of information and advice from those on this list. Next month I've got a month-long rental in a Redhawk 29XK. My first time ever in an RV and I'm really looking forward to it. I've got my route, more or less, plotted out. It was suggested I post about it here for feedback from those that have taken this route.

I'll be heading out of Herald CA, which is a bit southeast of Sacramento (taking I-5 to get there from Seattle, which I can figure out). AAA and I decided I should head a bit south to Lodi along 99 (to avoid stopping in lots of tiny towns) and then head west along Hwy 12.

I'll take Hwy 12 up to I-80 to close to Vallejo and then jump on Hwy 37.

I'll pick up Hwy 101 briefly just south of Novato and then pick up Hwy 12 again at Petaluma.

Head over to Tomales and get on Hwy 1 at that point and head north.

It another post it's already been advised that I skip Hwy 1 just north of Fort Bragg and head east on Hwy 20 until it connects to Hwy 101 in Willis.

I'll then continue up Hwy 101, eventually arriving in Newport OR, where I'll head east on Hwy 20 (different one!) to Corvallis and then back home via I-5.

So, any problems with this route? If so, please let me know. The sooner I get this figured out, the better.

Also, where are some good places to camp along that route? I want full hook ups; at the minimum electricity. And sights to see? I will not have a towed vehicle with me.

Thanks much!