Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #1

R value, insulation values

I have searched and searched, but I cannot seem to find any R-value or other insulation values on the units built with Jayco's Stronghold VBL method, which I think is most units except for the Jay Flight.

It is strange to me, that if it is a selling point, that it is not readily available. Other companies have it prominently shown on their construction pages.

Any ideas?
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #2

Yes and other companies claim R40 in the ceilings. How many rvs have 13" ceilings
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I have searched and searched, but I cannot seem to find any R-value or other insulation values on the units built with Jayco's Stronghold VBL method, which I think is most units except for the Jay Flight.

It is strange to me, that if it is a selling point, that it is not readily available. Other companies have it prominently shown on their construction pages.

Any ideas?
It is listed on the MH's.

R-5 max walls
Old 03-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It is listed on the MH's.

R-5 max walls
If I'm not mistaken, my Jay Feather has the same walls as the motorhomes, so I guess that's what that is.

Still curious about floors and ceilings.

Larry
Old 03-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #5

I just found this on the Seneca Prestige. Doesn't stack up too well against other manufacturers' mid-level trailers.

Bead-foam insulation (R-24 max roof, R-9 max floor, R-5 max walls)

Larry
Old 03-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #6

None of those insulation claims are worth a darn. The reality is that holes in the roof (skylights and vents) allow huge amounts of air leakage straight out of your camper. Your extruded aluminum wall studs allow air to leak right out too.

Those numbers are just advertising, pure and simple.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
None of those insulation claims are worth a darn. The reality is that holes in the roof (skylights and vents) allow huge amounts of air leakage straight out of your camper. Your extruded aluminum wall studs allow air to leak right out too.

Those numbers are just advertising, pure and simple.
And 4 hours and 52 minutes! I figured I would get this response much sooner.

Yes, I agree that a lot of it is advertising. However, two trailers of similar length and floorplan will have the same number of vents and roof thingies, and close to the same number of windows and doors. And I know that my larger travel trailer holds heat/cold better than my popup with the same size air conditioner.

So I'd like to see these numbers when comparing. I'm pseudo-shopping.

Larry
Old 03-25-2021, 08:20 PM   #8

What you will find is they now use reflectix as part of the insulation equation. It's foil Bubble wrap. They also consider the plywood to have an R value. The dead air space under the trailer as well.

Under our eagle there is a layer of relectix then a thin layer of fiberglass then the woven poly tarp material.
I have since added R 20 batts between the frame from basement to rear bumper with a layer of reflectix between it and the corroplast. Now our floor stays the indoor temp.
In the front bubble there was a 3 inch thick fiberglass blanket from roof down the front. It had gaps at the sides and across the bottom where you could see the fiberglass bubble. I added R20 batts and filled the area. Now the closet doesn't radiate heat or cold.
Our trailer is much better holding temps but it definitely is not built to stick and brick insulation specs

YMMV

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
RPR

We add R value by throwing another blanket on the bed.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:34 PM   #10

My 2017 Precept 35S indicates R-24 Roof, R-9 Floor, and R-8 Wall Insulation.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
And 4 hours and 52 minutes! I figured I would get this response much sooner.

Yes, I agree that a lot of it is advertising. However, two trailers of similar length and floorplan will have the same number of vents and roof thingies, and close to the same number of windows and doors. And I know that my larger travel trailer holds heat/cold better than my popup with the same size air conditioner.

So I'd like to see these numbers when comparing. I'm pseudo-shopping.

Larry
Well, I mean... its true. Some trailers are better than others, most trailers are better than a popup with canvas sides. Comparing absurd advertising numbers to each other is an exercise in futility. Its like comparing "lumen" ratings of LED bulbs on Amazon. Some manufacturers flat out lie, others state the "perceived output", whereas others state the actual output. The numbers will vary from 110 lumens to 1000 lumens... but I would bet that the light output is roughly the same between all 3.

The fact of the matter is that there is no industry standard for measuring the insulation value in a travel trailer. Each manufacturer can claim whatever they want and don't need to back it up with any data. If insulation is important to you, but a trailer from a manufacturer that has a reputation for building 4 season trailers. Anything else is a crap shoot.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Well, I mean... its true. Some trailers are better than others, most trailers are better than a popup with canvas sides. Comparing absurd advertising numbers to each other is an exercise in futility. Its like comparing "lumen" ratings of LED bulbs on Amazon. Some manufacturers flat out lie, others state the "perceived output", whereas others state the actual output. The numbers will vary from 110 lumens to 1000 lumens... but I would bet that the light output is roughly the same between all 3.

The fact of the matter is that there is no industry standard for measuring the insulation value in a travel trailer. Each manufacturer can claim whatever they want and don't need to back it up with any data. If insulation is important to you, but a trailer from a manufacturer that has a reputation for building 4 season trailers. Anything else is a crap shoot.
Yeah... Kind of like tow ratings.... Who knows.