Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Ok, here is my fix for you.
Find an appropriate size ss wood screw just large enough and long enoughto be tight in the existing holes and not go through thickness of door. Clean both door and latch dohicky. Squeeze some caulk(I'd use either lexel or geocel pro flex) into holes. Use your choice of adhesive (mine would definitely be lexel caulk) to flat places on door catch and screw down being careful of not stripping holes with new screws. Let cure. Should be as good as original.
Again. That's how I'd fix if it were mine.

Paul B12
Paul thanks I definately like the simplicity of your idea. But I dont know how that will hold up when t hook is attatched and the wind is pulling on the door? Those are some pretty big hole do they make wood screws that thick? Lol Also the top right hole is pretty banged up dont know if there is anything left for a screw to grab onto. I believe inside of door is foam board insulation(so nothing to grab inside) with just thin sheet of fiber glass or something on the outside.
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #62

I’d suggest plugging the holes with this first: Marine-Tex® Epoxy Putty | Marine Tex
I’ve used it for small dings on our sailboat. It hardens nicely and can be drilled, tapped etc. Just push in enough to fill the holes and shape or sand it. Then use the screws as Paul mentioned, with some caulk.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #63

Ok, if holes are overly big I would add a larger aluminum plate newly screwed or riveted on the door. Then add latch piece to aluminum plate, caulking as you go.
Paul B12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #64

I would love to just fill with epoxy( this was my first thought) but is epoxy gonna form a strong bond on foam insulation? Idk.. Just doesnt sound like it will work in the long run.

So I guess the aluminum plate is my best bet. But my question if I go this route what kind of screw is going to hold plate to door? I originally bought self tapping metal screws but I think the door is fiber glass and then foam board. I plan on putting some epoxy behind the plate for strength and rv flex around the edges of the plate for waterproofing. I dont know what screws will work best? Or if epoxy will bond the plate strong enough to the door on its own..but my instincts tell me eventually it will come off with out screws.. wood screws? Or self tapping screws? Orrr...?

Also I just looked at my receipt. My metal sheet is cold rolled 22 gauge. I belive thats steel. Is that ok? I dont think they had aluminum. I plan on painting it with black rustoleum. I'm going to be painting my whole frame and leveling jacks of trailer tomorrow with satin black rustoleum. Its faded and a little rusty in areas. I sanded everything today.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
I would love to just fill with epoxy( this was my first thought) but is epoxy gonna form a strong bond on foam insulation? Idk.. Just doesnt sound like it will work in the long run.

So I guess the aluminum plate is my best bet. But my question if I go this route what kind of screw is going to hold plate to door? I originally bought self tapping metal screws but I think the door is fiber glass and then foam board. I plan on putting some epoxy behind the plate for strength and rv flex around the edges of the plate for waterproofing. I dont know what screws will work best? Or if epoxy will bond the plate strong enough to the door on its own..but my instincts tell me eventually it will come off with out screws.. wood screws? Or self tapping screws? Orrr...?

Also I just looked at my receipt. My metal sheet is cold rolled 22 gauge. I belive thats steel. Is that ok? I dont think they had aluminum. I plan on painting it with black rustoleum. I'm going to be painting my whole frame and leveling jacks of trailer tomorrow with satin black rustoleum. Its faded and a little rusty in areas. I sanded everything today.
I don’t claim to be an RV tech or fiberglass fabricator, but I think you might be overthinking things. You just need to create or recreate a solid fiberglass surface to attach the mounting screws, right? Not sure why you need a strong bond to the foam insulation. Packing the epoxy in the holes and letting it harden should give you a flat solid surface to screw into. It’s just to hold the door latch — doesn’t need to withstand F5 winds does it?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I don’t claim to be an RV tech or fiberglass fabricator, but I think you might be overthinking things. You just need to create or recreate a solid fiberglass surface to attach the mounting screws, right? Not sure why you need a strong bond to the foam insulation. Packing the epoxy in the holes and letting it harden should give you a flat solid surface to screw into. It’s just to hold the door latch — doesn’t need to withstand F5 winds does it?
Lol your probably right. I say the foam because when I look in the holes that's all I see. So essentially the epoxy will be bonding to the foam.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #67

I think if you pack it in there, it should bond to the exterior fiberglass “wall” and harden. But maybe a quick query of your local RV dealer tech to be sure?
Old 12-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #68

Not pretty but you could go with through bolts. Using washers on the back would be able to withstand almost F5 winds!!
As said above quit overthinking it just do it!(hehe).
PaulB12
Old 12-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #69

Marine tex...hollow some foam out till there is a recess between inside and outside panels. Install the plastic (fake) wood from home depot. Use 3m 5200 adhesive sealant to bond the plastic wood in place. Use the marine tex, after 10 days to allow sealant to set around the wood to fill any gaps. On the inside cover wit a shiit of aluminum then install hardware and fasteners
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
Lol your probably right. I say the foam because when I look in the holes that's all I see. So essentially the epoxy will be bonding to the foam.
The epoxy might attack the foam. You may want to test for compatibility before you go too far.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #71

Test it..but I dont think it will be an issue
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #72

I noticed around my windows where the trim in the corners isnt tucked all the way under. Is this suppose to be like that or did florida sun shrink them?

2nd question should I put some proflex over them?
Attached Thumbnails
20210112_120310.jpg   20210111_164356.jpg  
Old 01-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #73

Hopefully that trim is a beauty type trim. The sealing is done to the window itself, so is up to you.
And yes sun and weather shrinkage, unless it's cold out(hehe!)
PaulB12
Old 01-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #74

Sun Damages Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Hopefully that trim is a beauty type trim. The sealing is done to the window itself, so is up to you.
And yes sun and weather shrinkage, unless it's cold out(hehe!)
PaulB12
Yes, sun and time make rubber seals become brittle and crack and perhaps even shrink. It certainly makes sealant, where it's exposed, shrink and pull apart forming cracks and voids. My RV is only about 4 years old and the seals and in Florida's sun sealants are starting to deteriorate.

I just reapplied new sealant to all the Proflex joints/seams after I discovered floor damage and rusty screws in my slide outs. I also had all the lap seal beads removed and replaced on the roof. It's a pain but that's what you have to do to keep them for ten years.

I also just tried a new trick to help me detect leaks getting inside the RV. I purchased some inexpensive little Govee hygrometers which I can monitor with my cell phone using bluetooth. They tell me the relative humidity in their vicinity. I placed them on the floors next to the outer walls inside each of my slides. Now, every time I check on my RV, I get out my phone and I can see if any of the sensors are reading high humidity. Their batteries last for about a year. Here's the link on them...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224204035879
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote