Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

Refrigerator

I was talking to a friend of ours today and they leave their trailer plugged in when at home and leave the refrigerator on . We go camping every other weekend and the thought never entered my mind to leave the trailer plugged in all the time, what does everybody else do ? Kipper
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #2

Plug ours in as soon as I get home, the 120 helps run the slides and power jack better than the battry alone. We leave our food in the camper so yes the fridge and ac stay on also. Keep the temp about 85, which just keeps it from being like an oven in there. If I dont plug it in our battrey only lasts about 4 days, all the smoke, and coabonmonoxide detectors draw it down. Im really suprised it doesnt have 2 batterys.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #3

Nope ... fridge gets emptied, turned off and propped open. No point in keeping it plugged in when we're not using it. The only time I had an issue with the battery is when I leave the TV antenna booster on (thanks to this forum, I learned the hard way to turn the darn thing off!). If I really thought about it & was concerned about wear & tear on the battery, I'd simply disconnect it when it was parked in the driveway (or spend the time to install a shut-off...

Different climate up here ... A/C hardly gets used & I'm too cheap to run it unless I'm actually inside the trailer. Even then, bloody thing's too noisy!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #4

We plug in at home. We unload the fridge and turn it off (I really like those little thingy's Jayco has on the fridge that clip the door partially open to circulate air) as we usually don't take off every weekend. I would say that once every couple of weeks or so when our older grandkids talk me into it, we do camp out in the driveway for the night in the tt.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #5

So far we've left the refrigerator on all the time. I've got 30 amp electrical box in the backyard (same as a campground) along with water and sewer. Don't keep the trailer hooked to water or sewer, just leave the refrigerator on. I was told once that it was better to leave it on rather turn it off an on. Not sure that's true but (knock on wood) so far we haven't experienced any refrigerator problems. Have to admit we have one good friend that cuts his refrigerator off after each camping trip and he hasn't had any problems either so guess it's up to the individual. One other thing: If you leave the trailer plugged in and the refrigerator on you don't have to wait that 12 to 24 hrs for the unit to get cold enough to store food. OK, I'm done now....
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #6

we have left ours plugged in at home for years no problems. Cleaning out frig after every trip and reloading is to much hassle. we use it about 3 weekends a month and leave it packed with clothes, food and most things we use ,just put a couple steaks in freezer or whatever this trip menue is ,fill water tank if neccessary hookup and go.
stays plugged in year round , turn off frig after camping season ends and snow piles up.
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #7

Watch the battery water

If you leave your Rv plugged in to electric, make sure you periodically check the water level in the battery.
Mike and Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #8

We only leave ours plugged in if were going to be going on another trip in a week or two otherwise we shut off and leave door open. The only thing I had read is if the fridge is on the trailer should be level when running the fridge or it could cause irreparable damage.
lciancola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #9

Ours is set up on a seasonal site and we leave it on all the time, really don't have a choice because it would take too long to get cold if I put it on on Friday night when we get to the campground. I try not to keep much in it when we are not there. I keep a few ice cubes in a bag so I know if the electricity was out for any length of time when we were not there; don't want to take a chance on eating anything that defrosted then refroze. Have not had a prblem leaving it on and the cost of electric is minimal.
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #10

I keep mine plugged in year round, to keep the battery up and I keep the fridge on 2 when parked in the summer till I go on a trip...a couple days before I go I turn it up to 4. In the winter I empty the fridge and turn it off.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #11

Smile

We leave ours plugged in all the time with the frig and freezer stocked. Too much of a hassle to empty the thing out. We use ours about everyother weekend. Hubby did put a 30 amp Rv plug in the garage so that he can run the AC unit and "escape" from the rest of us from time to time.
Jaycojenni is offline   Reply With Quote