Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Refrigerator Inside Cooling Fans?????

My Norcold #1210 does not cool items in the door very well.Found a company Smart RV Products.They have a two or three fan unit with LEDs,uses 3/4 watt power.Has anyone tried this product?A little pricey at 130 bucks.Looks better than most we have seen!
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #2

I have one in my Seneca and am very pleased with how it works. Much more even interior temps (as reported by my wireless thermometer) and very little frost buildup on the fins. My only issue was that the supplied velcro pads would not stay stuck together on rough roads and I would find one end or the other dropped down. My final solution was to wedge it up into place with pieces of 1 x 4 white PVC trim, v-notched on the ends to fit the fridge shelf and the fan assembly. Never a problem since!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip living in Phoenix glue does not hold much of anything for long in my camper!Will order one later this year when its under a 120 in my camper.lol Thanks Again
Old 08-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #4

We use one of the cheapo Camco 44123 Fridge Airator's and it definitely made a difference in our tiny refrigerator.

I also use an Engel wireless thermometer inside to monitor temps.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

It's pricey but worth it. I also have a wireless thermometer and have found it lowers the temps by 6-8 degrees. And the fins don't frost up. Previously, when parked in 100 degree weather the fridge would struggle to get below 40. This device makes it easier to keep the temps below 38. If I'm parked in moderate weather I have to back off the temp control as it easily goes below 29 degrees.

I've also tried computer fans and the little battery operated jobs with no luck.

I also turn my fridge off (just for a second or two) every day to keep the auto defrost from warming it up.

I also had to prop up one end of it after the self stick stuff came unstuck. Not surprising that double backed tape didn't work very long as I've never had good luck with it on anything.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #6

Iv had problems with mine struggling to keep cool too. I'm going to look at this. People have also mentioned a fan in the vent to pull air across the cooling fins. I may try this too couldn't hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F419sr1 View Post
Iv had problems with mine struggling to keep cool too. I'm going to look at this. People have also mentioned a fan in the vent to pull air across the cooling fins. I may try this too couldn't hurt
If you have both upper and lower sidewall vents, as compared to a roof chimney, it probably is worthwhile to consider increasing airflow. Might need to also check the baffles in the upper section to make sure they are in accordance with your refrigerator's manufacturer's specs. More airflow will help keep things cool when the outside air temperatures temperatures climb. Units with roof chimneys usually have better natural airflow, but sometimes they can use more airflow too.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #8

My Greyhawk came with a fan in the top of the stack. Apparently the thermostat that controlled it was defective because it never came on. I wired it to a switch and bypassed the thermostat. I run it if I'm in a hot climate. I have no idea how much it helps but between the fan in the fridge and the fan in the top of the stack I can usually keep the fridge where I want it.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:03 AM   #9

For outdoor fans we use the ARP dual fan kit, it makes a big difference in cooling performance during hot ambient periods.

https://www.arprv.com/purchase.php

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
For outdoor fans we use the ARP dual fan kit, it makes a big difference in cooling performance during hot ambient periods.

https://www.arprv.com/purchase.php
Nice product, especially if it defeats the auto defrost. I see it's based on the price point of the internal fan by SmartRV Products; it's a bit spendy.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #11

While not entirely on topic (fans) we applied some reflective bubble wrap with Velcro on the wall outside of fridge and it made a huge difference in the hot AZ sun.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have one in my Seneca and am very pleased with how it works. Much more even interior temps (as reported by my wireless thermometer) and very little frost buildup on the fins. My only issue was that the supplied velcro pads would not stay stuck together on rough roads and I would find one end or the other dropped down. My final solution was to wedge it up into place with pieces of 1 x 4 white PVC trim, v-notched on the ends to fit the fridge shelf and the fan assembly. Never a problem since!
Smart RV Products mentioned there #4 product included a modified drip pan.They indicated Norcolds model 1210 frig. was a poor design.Did you receive one?
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
Old 08-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #13

We are going to try that we are in Phoenix! Thanks
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #14

I haven't had a chance to look and see if mine has one. I need to do something. On a 10 day trip I lost all my perishables. Chances are if there is no upper fan I will do both upper and inside fans. Can't hurt
Old 08-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Smart RV Products mentioned there #4 product included a modified drip pan.They indicated Norcolds model 1210 frig. was a poor design.Did you receive one?
Yes I did, here is a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
20170811_134114.jpg  
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #16

Looks like would be much better air flow! Thanks
Old 08-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Looks like would be much better air flow! Thanks

I just ordered a 3 fan unit from eBay for a third of the cost of RVI and doesn't require drilling the cabinet. Will post installation and performance notes. I actually seriously considered the RVI product but was disappointed by their unresponsiveness to my questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #18

Which model did you purchase?We like ebay no sales tax and generally free shipping.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Which model did you purchase?We like ebay no sales tax and generally free shipping.
Norcold Evaporator Fan makes your frig frost free LED light 3 Fans 15.7" wide check out the seller's store too, lots of absorption fridge components. This fan unit doesn't require relocating the fridge light and doesn't need a modified drip tray (the unit is angled against the cooling fins, not flush against it). Lose a bit of storage volume, but that top shelf is so narrow to begin with it hardly matters. For super circulation, a pair of fan units could be used (haven't checked width of four door Norcold fins to confirm though).
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #20

I just use one of the small ones on our 4 door Norcold like this:
Dometic Refrigerator Deluxe Fan with LED light & Grill INCREASES cooling

I put it in the middle of the fins and have almost no frost buildup across all the fins. Seems it moves enough air to keep things good...