Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #21

Boom

Example: In California, residential gas water heaters are on a platform if in a garage. The pilot or burner assembly must be at least 18" above the floor. You know, gas fumes from the stored lawn mower, spare fuel can, paint thinner on the shelf, garage door closed and only the suicide vents for ventilation. If you don't burn houses down on a daily basis with those, a puny isolated refrigerator burner in open air is not an ignition hazard when fueling. Especially diesel with a higher flash point.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #22

With all that being said, has anyone actually heard of a fire occurring? I have read websites that have said the fridge bursts into flames as they drove down the highway....but never while refueling..
Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
With all that being said, has anyone actually heard of a fire occurring? I have read websites that have said the fridge bursts into flames as they drove down the highway....but never while refueling..
Yeah, there's a manufacturer's recall on that little issue....

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #24

Quote:
I think that's a good question. Anyone heard of it?

I'm not saying anyone should do it one way or another, you need to do what makes you feel safe and comfortable, but the potential for disaster seems very unlikely.

Mythbusters did a test on gas fumes a while back to determine whether a phone could ignite gas fumes at a filling station. From what I remember of the episode, they had to concentrate the fumes (in an enclosed space) at such a high level to get them to ignite. If you were there and the fumes were at the concentration necessary for ignition, you wouldn't be able to tolerate it for long, and you'd probably do more damage from the inhalation of the fumes. And even then they could only get them to do so with an actual spark, not a phone.

The second half of the piece:
https://youtu.be/VjrkwxMhc4s

A static spark directly at the source of the fumes is clearly a danger. Though even this may be minimized with the use of "vapor containment" technologies?

The fridge, being far away from the source of the fuel, and in a WELL ventilated area, should pose little risk of being an ignition source.

So, I would say that unless there is a HUGE concentration of fumes at the station (you wouldn't be able to breathe, and emergency personnel should be there or on their way), or the fridge is in VERY close proximity to the pump outlet (like directly above it?), there's probably not a huge likelihood of ignition?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #25

I generally leave mine on because I forget it's on. But to Mike's point about overall safety, someone here posted a while back about loading their bikes inside the trailer and a handlebar accidentally hitting the knob on the stove in transit, turning it on. No damage done but the trailer needed a good airing out before being usable IIRC. Food for thought if you travel with the propane on - the fridge isn't the only gas appliance in the rig.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I generally leave mine on because I forget it's on. But to Mike's point about overall safety, someone here posted a while back about loading their bikes inside the trailer and a handlebar accidentally hitting the knob on the stove in transit, turning it on. No damage done but the trailer needed a good airing out before being usable IIRC. Food for thought if you travel with the propane on - the fridge isn't the only gas appliance in the rig.
Sounds to me like this is a load securement issue.
Just because things are inside of a closed box travelling down the road, doesn't mean that they are secure or safe.
This is the exact reason that the Department of Transportation is changing the load securement regulations to make it so that one must make it so loads cannot shift inside of a dry van or other van style unit. Too many loads gaining momentum inside of the van and creating their own exit.

2008 345BHS
Preacher87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #27

I turn mine off to travel, so it's also off while I fuel. I understand the risk is very minimal but it's the way I was taught to tow 25 years ago.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #28

Quote:
With all that being said, has anyone actually heard of a fire occurring?
Nope, and mine will not be the first

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #29

An Indiana couple lost their RV in a gas station fire. It turns out that someone put the gas nozzle back on the pump with the handle on the nozzle in the fill position. When he activated the pump, ha sprayed everywhere and it was ignited by his fridge's pilot light according to the fire dept. I googled this info...I also used to operate a gas station and were told by head office to insure motorists with campers turn their propane valves off before fuelling. I also had to turn my propane off and tag it while travelling on the ferry.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
An Indiana couple lost their RV in a gas station fire. It turns out that someone put the gas nozzle back on the pump with the handle on the nozzle in the fill position. When he activated the pump, ha sprayed everywhere and it was ignited by his fridge's pilot light according to the fire dept. I googled this info...I also used to operate a gas station and were told by head office to insure motorists with campers turn their propane valves off before fuelling. I also had to turn my propane off and tag it while travelling on the ferry.
You have better odds being killed in a sharknado...

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #31

I even run my Generator if it's hot out so the AC remains working in the coach. My Propane is on the opposite side of the coach from the fuel, I leave my Propane on unless I know I will be going through a tunnel that does not allow propane to be on. Safe travels!!!
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #32

This is a highly debated topic which comes up every now and again. It really comes down to personal preference and a measure of likely risk versus possible happenstance and whether all the factors are aligned. I have been around and owned RV's most of my life. I have run with the refrigerator on and off. At this point in my life, I travel with the propane tanks off and the refer off. When at home in storage the RV is plugged in and the refer is on (electric) so its always pre chilled. I have traveled as long as 10 hours with the refrigerator off before pulling into a site and turning on the gas and refer. Nothing thawed, nothing spoiled every single time. If your refrigerator (after it has been properly chilled) (and full) cannot keep things properly chilled for at least 6 hours, there is something else wrong (after all, what do you do in a residence when the power goes out for several hours? throw all the food in the fridge and freezer away?). It may all be legal mumbo jumbo and double talk designed to protect some corporate entity, but there is a reason why manufacturers in the RV industry have warnings and recommendations about not traveling with propane on. However, those warnings got started somewhere, somehow and human nature is most often reactionary. Meaning; those warnings got started because something happened sometime somewhere and whether proven or not they were substantiated.
Like I said, I have traveled with it on in my past and never had a problem. personally I choose not to temp fate, I leave it off now. I was a parachutist (both static line and free fall) during my 26 year career in the Corps. We always have a reserve chute even though the chances of needing it are small. I never had to use mine, but that doesn't mean I stopped carrying it. Just my 2 cents folks.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #33

When I remember, I usually turn my propane off before I leave camp because I'm a cheap skate, not really for any other reason. It's probably the last thing on my mind when I need to get gas for the truck and I'm trying to find a viable gas station.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
You have better odds being killed in a sharknado...
True, I was just googling and saw that there was an incident...my question is who would be held liable? With the amount of sue happy people out there...just my two cents. I do drive with my fridge on but do turn the propane off when fuelling.
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote