Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #21

Check into South Dakota for registration. They have services that help out of state, you get a SD POB and you have and mail forwarding. You will find many full timers register there due to the low cost.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #22

The problem comes, when you live in one state, house your RV in that state, and register it in another state. They WILL catch you eventually. Yes if you keep your RV in the state you register it in, you will most likely not get caught. In Az our property taxes are really low, to make up for some of that they charge for your vehicle, TT etc plates according to the MSRP...with depreciation for each year. If your TT lists for $30k but you actually paid $20K they charge for plates at the $30K price...yes sales tax is based on the actual sales price. My 2015 27RLS plates for this year is $398. Could I save by registering in SD or some other place, yes...but is it worth it since I house my TT here in AZ ? Not to me. All I would be doing was placing more burden on everyone else who does pay the state fees. Personally I think it's cheating all my neighbors.

If your full timing them of course shop for best place for you, but, know that becomes your home of record..you vote in that state also. I like Az , and I'm willing to pay my fair share for all the good things I enjoy from this state....JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #23

I've come to the conclusion that it's probably more risk than I want to take on since I do most of my camping here in state and my chances of getting nailed are probably pretty high. Having a drivers license and tow vehicle registered in state A, and trailer that have plates from state B is a red flag in it self, increasing the chances of getting pulled over even if you otherwise never would be. State B doesn't care... they love the fact that you gave them taxes you wouldn't ordinarily have needed to. But get pulled over in your home state, and things can get sticky. I have no problem ethically witholding what is obviously excessive taxation when I can. You know it's a problem when Canadians are shocked at what we pay here.

I talked to my family lawyer about it this morning. This doesn't apply to full timers, just people like me that use their camper occasionally. He said in Colorado, they know they are losing a ton of (bogus) revenue over this practice and they are charging people with tax evasion when they can make that case... and it's not that hard for them to do so as they only have to prove that your reason for registering out of state is simple - to evade taxes and fees. If you have a strong argument stating otherwise, it's a risk you may consider taking.

The only way around it legally is to have an LLC in said other state, transfer the title to the LLC (if your lender allows it) actually do business there and not use the LLC as a cover as many people do. If your LLC isn't making money in said state, Colorado is then allowed to 'pierce the corporate veil' and charge me with tax evasion. Screw that.

I think you'd all agree that Colorado is shafting the RV community. I knew what I was getting into before I bought my camper though, so definitely not asking for any sympathy, just venting a bit about the whole situation and since it doesn't look like I have any other options currently, I'll just take it in the keister and move on

Thanks for all the replies to the thread. Helped me out..
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #24

Bansai, didn't someone mention that the rates were different depending on the county (Denver being more expensive)? Are you allowed to register in another county in the state with lower fees? The plate will still be for the correct state; or does Colorado have the county embossed on the plate as well?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #25

Good point. In CO, you are "required" to register in your home county as well. To register, in state, in a different county requires a change of address.

People get around this requirement too, but it's a fairly trivial amount of savings.

In Denver we have extra fees tacked on because we are in RTD's (our mass transit system) boundary and they tack on a few other things. I could probably save 50 to 75 bucks registering in Costilla county for example (where I own land, have an address, and legally could do so even!) I'll look into that! Everything helps. Thanks bankr63!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
he problem comes, when you live in one state, house your RV in that state, and register it in another state. They WILL catch you eventually. Yes if you keep your RV in the state you register it in, you will most likely not get caught.

If your full timing them of course shop for best place for you, but, know that becomes your home of record..you vote in that state also.
25 years LE and I never once checked Tags Vs homes state. We did have a military base so out of state tags were not unusual. Many people have residences in two states, one summer and one winter and where the most time spent is "home" Voting can be done by mail and is my preferred way, no lines to wait in.
LE has way more things to occupy time than checking registrations for home states. JMHO.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
25 years LE and I never once checked Tags Vs homes state. /snip
LE has way more things to occupy time than checking registrations for home states. JMHO.
I have a few friends in the Denver PD, they've said the same. Not sure about the state patrol, but I'd imagine that's the group tasked with enforcement of this particular revenue stream. I'm still conflicted on this but I really appreciate your perspective.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #28

Lived in Indianapolis for most of my adult life and there are a lot of snow birds there. Funny how all the Mercedes, BMWs, and Caddys showed up every spring with Florida plates. They hung around until after Tgiving and then seemed to vanish. Hmm???? Wonder what they were doing.

Had my ski boat registered in Michign where the registration fee was a fraction of that in Indiana and was good for 3 years instead of 1. Used a family vacation property as the address of record. Was stopped 1 time on the way to a day on the lake [in Indiana] by a State Trooper who seemed annoyed that I had a Michigan plate on the boat and an Indiana license on my car. My answer was straight forward. The boat spends most of its life at our home in Michigan but comes home with us for a few weeks in the Summer. He didn't buy the explaination but the facts of my argument were 90% true and perfectly legal. Would be easy enough to do the same thing with a camper.

Here in Ky where we live many folks register boats in Tn where there is no annual excise tax. Easy enough to do if you have family or a friend across the state line.

Illegal ?? Yes. But it is done in plain sight or some variation of the same thing all over the country.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Flapper, I think you might have your numbers flipped. I have only paid $12 a year after the first year.

I have friends that have trailers and cars register in Wisconsin and live in Minnesota. No issues, one of them does bring her classic Mustang home to Minnesota during a good part of the summer. The rest of the time it's in Wisconsin.
Well, the tax was $14, but the "Filing Fee" and "Tech Surcharge" brought the total up to $21
Old 08-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
25 years LE and I never once checked Tags Vs homes state. We did have a military base so out of state tags were not unusual. Many people have residences in two states, one summer and one winter and where the most time spent is "home" Voting can be done by mail and is my preferred way, no lines to wait in.
Its not LE it's the revenue dept. The states work together. Government knows EVERYTHING you do...and when they eliminate cash, they will know even more. I keep my gambling to Vegas, I know the odds when I roll the dice there.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #31

Dang you guys are like a bucket of cold water...considering a job offer in UT and after reading this thread went to see what their requirements were...

Wow..$200 for a new car, $100 for my 11 year old truck and $180 for my HTT...not to mention emissions & safety inspections for my truck...

Ohio's like $55 for a car, $80 for my truck and another $45 for the HTT...

Wonder how long I can use the Ohio plates
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #32

That sounds cheap to me!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #33

Thought would resurrect this post since I finally got around to registering our TT.

725.00$ I was actually bracing for more...

Guess i'll keep it titled here in CO.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #34

Wow you guys get stroked with all these fees. In Michigan I paid $180 for the camper plate and its called a permanent plate so it never has to be renewed, we also don't have any city, or county bullcrap annual fees either.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #35

What I'd be worried about is Insurance. Mine is registered in Florida but stays in Florida. I remember the insurance company indicated the unit has to be in the state it's registered the majority of the time. That's what the premiums are based on. So it seems to me if that's not the case, it's just more leverage for the insurance company to deny a claim if something happens. It's seem like your Dammed any way you go.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #36

The way I see it, they tax you here, they tax you there. They have to get the revenue from someplace, so if they give a break on your RV or MH, then they hit you harder somewhere else. I just pay and don't worry about it.

RV sales have been up every year since 2007. Maybe some of the cheap states will suddenly realize that they are missing out on a potential tax windfall.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #37

Yeah, I hear ya. Sure seems to work that way. My wife lost her job a couple weeks back so these 700 dollar charges aren't that welcome at the moment, but at least I have a second home if I need it

My camper is parked in a secured lot south of town, I would have waited to register until spring since it's not being used, but then they go after you for back taxes and penalties. It's all a big racket in my opinion, but I try not to complain too much about our first world problems

And just to be not all doom and gloom about it, I do get to write off some of that on my income taxes this year.. spend a dollar, get a quarter back. It's almost like having a rewards card.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #38
Lost in the Woods

Registration

Watch the Montana register, did that with motorhome Illinois has people watching that . RVs cars,planes ,boats all raise flags and get you, plus late fees and penalties don't believe tha adds in magazines.also the jealous neighbor.Even had sos people driving thru rally's looking for 1 state on car with Montana plate on rv.
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Dang you guys are like a bucket of cold water...considering a job offer in UT and after reading this thread went to see what their requirements were...

Wow..$200 for a new car, $100 for my 11 year old truck and $180 for my HTT...not to mention emissions & safety inspections for my truck...

Ohio's like $55 for a car, $80 for my truck and another $45 for the HTT...

Wonder how long I can use the Ohio plates
You wouldn't like California or Colorado much. Plates here in Ca are based on the vehicle's current value. It's a huge tax. New $32k car is going to cost somewhere upwards of $600-700 to register first year. A declining ripoff as the years go by. Motorhome is about the same. TT a fair amount less, likely $300-400.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #40

A lot of people in KS register their boats and RV's in OK due to high personal property taxes. OK will register it with no problem even if you are a KS resident. My annual property tax for a new F-250 is $1200 per year. The personal property taxes on things are so high in KS that it discourages the purchase of new or encourages people to register in OK. For 2 vehicles I pay $2000 annually for personal property tax. Needless to say what I do with the boat and RV.