Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 53
Talking renting vs buying dilemma

Next summer we are planning on a four week round the good ole USA camping trip and are going back and forth between renting a travel trailer and buying one. We have a pop up camper but with our tow vehicle - '08 Yukon, space will be kinda tight for the four of us which is why we are looking at a travel trailer as we'll be able to keep the majority of our stuff in the trailer. Plus the constant setting up and tearing down of the pop for every stop.

The question is - are we better off just buying a good used travel trailer, paying cash, and than selling it when we are done or should we just rent?

We can't store it at our property, so that is one issue..

thoughts?

thanks!
__________________

nucleuscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucleuscracker View Post
Next summer we are planning on a four week round the good ole USA camping trip and are going back and forth between renting a travel trailer and buying one. We have a pop up camper but with our tow vehicle - '08 Yukon, space will be kinda tight for the four of us which is why we are looking at a travel trailer as we'll be able to keep the majority of our stuff in the trailer. Plus the constant setting up and tearing down of the pop for every stop.

The question is - are we better off just buying a good used travel trailer, paying cash, and than selling it when we are done or should we just rent?

We can't store it at our property, so that is one issue..

thoughts?

thanks!
I would rent a class C first choice or a TT 2nd choice. You may have a problem renting the trailer w/o spending some money on a weight distributing hitch.
__________________

__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 77
I would rent. There is no guarantee you'll be able to sell one.

John
__________________

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab Z71
2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
NewToMeJF26BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would rent a class C first choice or a TT 2nd choice. You may have a problem renting the trailer w/o spending some money on a weight distributing hitch.
Had a total blast a few years ago renting a Class C for a week during the summer but as we're looking to be gone for a 4 weeks and not wanting to be tied to the vehicle as you are with a class C - thats why we're looking at a TT. The most I've heard we'd have to add to the vehicle is an electric brake set up. Would the WDH be a big help and if so, how much $$ we looking at?

thanks for your help!
nuke
nucleuscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucleuscracker View Post
Had a total blast a few years ago renting a Class C for a week during the summer but as we're looking to be gone for a 4 weeks and not wanting to be tied to the vehicle as you are with a class C - thats why we're looking at a TT. The most I've heard we'd have to add to the vehicle is an electric brake set up. Would the WDH be a big help and if so, how much $$ we looking at?

thanks for your help!
nuke
Everything depends on what you are towing. My guess would be a brake controller and a WDH. Some input from who is renting the trailer may be more informative. If you have not towed a larger trailer there is a learning curve that you may have to get started on early.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Idaho/Arizona
Posts: 5,303
Have you priced renting a travel trailer for a month? See what the rent is and then make your decision. I know in North Idaho a friend rented a 28' travel trailer for a week and he ended up paying $1200. That was the best deal he could get in the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area.
__________________
2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
2017 Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3 with tow package.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 53
@clutch: the price range we're seeing here in Michigan/metro D is around $500-$700/week for the 25/28ft range.

@norty: The biggest I've towed is our 23' Yamaha Jet Boat.

@newtome: that's my one concern based on the economy.

a big thank you for the great input everyone!

Still wondering a average price for a WDH.. anyone have any ideas or does it very widely based on vehicle?
__________________
2008 GMC Yukon Denali AWD
2008 Jay Series pop up camper

*rented* 2012 jayco 264bh TT.
5 straight weeks, 8500 miles.

my wife and myself plus..
2 teenage stepdaughters
nucleuscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Idaho/Arizona
Posts: 5,303
If you are already towing with a 2" receiver all you will need would be the hitch head, ball, and bars. Check on Craigs List, or EBay.
__________________
2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
2017 Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3 with tow package.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
If you are already towing with a 2" receiver all you will need would be the hitch head, ball, and bars. Check on Craigs List, or EBay.
Yep, already using a 2", will check, thanks Clutch!
__________________
2008 GMC Yukon Denali AWD
2008 Jay Series pop up camper

*rented* 2012 jayco 264bh TT.
5 straight weeks, 8500 miles.

my wife and myself plus..
2 teenage stepdaughters
nucleuscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
3'senough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,072
Maybe I missed it, but did you ask the rental company if the trailer(s) are rigged with the WDH already? I wouldn't go out and invest in it ahead of checking. The setup could cost you as much as the rental depending on your level of handyness (if you need it installed and setup, reccommended) and WDH selection.
You will need one though.
__________________

__________________

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.