Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #1

Repair - Dealer/Warranty Question

I bought my jayco at Camping World (yeah, I know!). I took it in once for some warranty work and they said that they do the repairs first and then submit it to Jayco to see if it is covered under the warranty. They said I would have to pay for the repairs unless Jayco agreed it was covered by the warranty. Is that typical?

I have more repairs that need to be done at the dealer that I think should be covered by warranty but I am concerned that if an issue isn't covered by Jayco (or they dispute it), CW could charge me an arm and an leg for a repair and not give me the TT back until I pay. If it is something that I could do myself and Jayco denies warranty coverage, I don't want CW to do it. But CW doesn't seem to allow that.

Is this how all dealers do repairs that may be covered by warranty or is this just how CW operates? Can the proposed issue be submitted to Jayco before the repair is done to see if it is covered? Can I take the TT to another jayco dealer other than CW?

Thanks!
CO Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #2

I avoid dealers at all costs for repairs up to and including some warranty work that should have been covered but I chose to just eat to avoid the heartache.

The dealer that I currently use is pretty decent in that they will validate the claims I do have usually with pictures and then submit the issue to Jayco for approval. Once the parts come in they will swap bad for good with me and let me do the repair.

I am not sure what if anything they are billing Jayco for and I really don't care. I avoid having to drag my tailer back to the dealer to have it sit for extended lengths of time and then maybe be repaired to my satisfaction. It took quite a bit to develop this relationship with this dealer. My current unit is my 6th camper and my 2nd from this dealer. Only my first was from CW and I knew that I would never go back that direction.

I would never agree to be on the hook for an unknown repair with absolutely no idea what it may cost me.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:16 AM   #3
Site Team

I would be a lot leery of leaving it at the dealer under those conditions. You might as well leave them a blank check!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #4
Site Team

I wouldn't go that route at a dealer at all. What manufacturers pay the dealers for warranty labor will be less than what they would charge you personally. All they have to do is say the warranty claim was denied, whether submitted or not, and they made their regular labor rate on your dime. They're making sure they're on the win-win side, and you're not.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
Site Team

This seems exceedingly odd. The only time I've heard of the customer paying first and waiting on reimbursement from Jayco is when you are using an independent or mobile service tech to do warranty repairs. I would be very leary of this arrangement as described.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
This seems exceedingly odd. The only time I've heard of the customer paying first and waiting on reimbursement from Jayco is when you are using an independent or mobile service tech to do warranty repairs. I would be very leary of this arrangement as described.
X2, sounds very fishy to me. My understanding of Jayco's warranty repair policy; all warranty work MUST be approved prior to any work being don. That includes work done at a dealership.

I would contact Jayco's customer service (have your vin #) and talk with them. I have never heard of this before. In that conversation, I might bring up inquiring if they would authorize an independent mobile tech to do the work.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #7

To be clear, CW told me that they would do the repair and then submit the warranty claim to Jayco, and if Jayco didn't cover it, then I would have to pay CW (at their labor and part rates). They said that they wouldn't just submit the claim to Jayco first before doing the repair.

Yeah, this sounded fishy to me too. I did have CW do some minor repairs last summer and Jayco did cover all of it (CW actually did the repairs in just a week or so and got Jayco to cover it within a week after that - I didn't pay anything for the repairs).

I have additional repairs needed now but I am very leery of this arrangement. Anyone else have CW (or other dealer) insist on this requirement for the dealer to do the work first and then submit claim to Jayco? If CW insists on that arrangement, I will take it to another dealer.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
X2, sounds very fishy to me. My understanding of Jayco's warranty repair policy; all warranty work MUST be approved prior to any work being don. That includes work done at a dealership.

I would contact Jayco's customer service (have your vin #) and talk with them. I have never heard of this before. In that conversation, I might bring up inquiring if they would authorize an independent mobile tech to do the work.
Good Luck

Thanks! That is great advice! I will contact Jayco and if that is the case that Jayco requires pre-approval before work is done, I will tell CW that they must comply with it.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #9

All of my warranty work had to be approved by Jayco before my dealer would do it.
No way would I agree to that.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #10

Is it possible they were trying to get it done faster than waiting on Jayco to approve? It took Gander RV about 3 weeks just to get Jayco's approval on some warranty work on my Precept 36A and that was after several phone calls by me to both Jayco and the Gander RV dealer trying to find out who was dragging their feet....I think it was both, but mostly Jayco.
Paul P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #11

Good thing is we are about 10-12 miles from our dealer
If needed, Most repairs i can do my self .
we wouldn't even take delivery until or list was taken care of .
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Mtns View Post
I bought my jayco at Camping World (yeah, I know!). I took it in once for some warranty work and they said that they do the repairs first and then submit it to Jayco to see if it is covered under the warranty. They said I would have to pay for the repairs unless Jayco agreed it was covered by the warranty. Is that typical?

I have more repairs that need to be done at the dealer that I think should be covered by warranty but I am concerned that if an issue isn't covered by Jayco (or they dispute it), CW could charge me an arm and an leg for a repair and not give me the TT back until I pay. If it is something that I could do myself and Jayco denies warranty coverage, I don't want CW to do it. But CW doesn't seem to allow that.

Is this how all dealers do repairs that may be covered by warranty or is this just how CW operates? Can the proposed issue be submitted to Jayco before the repair is done to see if it is covered? Can I take the TT to another jayco dealer other than CW?

Thanks!
What's the work that you need done?
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
What's the work that you need done?

Mostly minor stuff but a list of about 10-12 items (screws loose/falling out, door doesn't stay shut, etc). The back side of the cushion for the table is also torn due to the velcro tab - so I need another cushion.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:35 PM   #14

Since we bought our Seneca from CW, we have lots of real-world experience in trying to get things taken care of at the CW dealer we bought it from. Never once did they do any work until they had approval in advance.

Even after the work was approved, CW went and added a slew of additional charges that are listed in the "Not Covered" section of the warranty.

They charged us for every shipping charge for every part that was shipped for the repair. Then they charged us for Miscellaneous supplies that included caulk, shop towels, screws, gaskets, Pex Clamps and Hazardous waste removal to fix the foot pedal on our toilet.

I could have gone to Amazon and had the valve shipped to me, replaced it in about a hour and been a lot better off.

After we got our motorhome back from CW after this seemingly minor repair, we picked it up with all 4 house batteries completely Dead. They left the lights on in the motorhome while it sat waiting for warranty approval and parts delivery.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #15

I might have a great dealer (Keystone Mega RV in Greencastle, PA), but I had a list of stuff that needed to be fixed after our first season in our trailer in 2015. They are an hour away, but in an area where we camp often. I arranged to stop in on our way from a trip home and have them look at some stuff that needed to be fixed. It involved a leak that required the shower base to be removed, plywood fixed under the shower base and wet insulation to be pulled out of the floor.

My dealer had someone waiting for me, inspected the damage, took pictures, removed the wet insulation and sent everything to Jayco. I got a call a week later that it was approved. I made an appointment to drop it off after our last trip of the season and told them when our upcoming winter Florida trip was. They had it fixed a couple weeks before our Florida trip, everything was taken care of, without issue.

Again, maybe our dealer is the best Jayco dealer ever, but everything was smooth and seamless. I'm thinking any potential problems are going to be because of the DEALER, not Jayco. Do your research before dropping $25K+ on an RV and know what to expect.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:28 PM   #16

My dealer is about 150 miles away. They had me text them pics of my few, small warranty issues. They then sent them to jayco for approval. When approval came from jayco, they contacted me to set an appointment. Arrived a couple of Saturday's later, and they resolved my issues while still connected to my truck. Couple of hours later, I was on my way. Shout out to joe's trailer sales in Mulkeyville, IL.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Mostly minor stuff but a list of about 10-12 items (screws loose/falling out, door doesn't stay shut, etc). The back side of the cushion for the table is also torn due to the velcro tab - so I need another cushion.
INMHO, it is best to do the screw and door items yourself. Just me. When you don't know how to do something, use this forum, research, and ask others. It's amazing what you can learn to do with some patience, diligence, and humility.

I only use a dealer for really MAJOR things and recalls. I have used our dealers for upholstery and furnishing issues. It depends on the dealer. On three occasions, I called it in and gave them the damaged part when I picked up the new one from the factory. In another case, I sent them pictures, and they ordered it. I have heard of others who had to take the part in to show them before they would order it. Give them a call on your upholstery; see how they want to deal with it.

If you take a list of things to be fixed, you will not see your coach for a long time. In all likelihood, the quality of the work they will do (if they do it) will be poor to really bad. Some folks (very few) receive decent work. I know it stinks because you have a warranty. In a just world, that would mean something. But it really is not the road I travel at all anymore. I understand folks who have physical limitations depending on dealers. But other than that, I would stay away from them.

If you're going to own an RV, you are best off when you are resourceful and enjoy the process of making it better yourself. Or you can spend lots of time and money for work that most often is very poorly done, not to mention all of the unsavory entanglements so many of us have experienced with them.

That's just my opinion based on experience and tons of reading and exchanges with RV owners. I am just telling you what I would tell a friend or a close relation. I hope you can fix most of it yourself and have the pride of accomplishment and the satisfaction knowing the work was done well or even really well.

Please let me know if I can help you with any of it. Also, I know there are a lot of smart experienced folks on this forum who would enjoy helping you.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #18

My dealer doesn't even order the parts till Jayco says OK.
crmillsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #19

Call Jayco ! They should then call dealer
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:53 PM   #20

Quote:

Thanks!
Sorry to ask how can I start a new thread for a new question I finally got logged in but d ont know how to ask a question about my sink
Seascape artist is offline   Reply With Quote