Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2022, 04:02 PM   #1

Replace electric jack

Hi folks
Here's the scoop.... parked and disconnected in a spot that was kinda low in front. The jack leg was fully extended to release the hitch ball. When it released the trailer slipped a bit. Enough to have caused something to break (sheared a pin somewhere?)
The electric works, but the leg spins and does not retract.

My question... are the 4 stabilizer Jack's sufficient to hold the trailer while I remove the broken jack and replace it?
Reference info. Jayco Octane 26y 2008. Tongue weight 1000lbs , gvw 7000 (roughly)

Suggestions or comments?
Wjranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:44 PM   #2

I went through the same thing with my TT several years ago. The short answer is probably yes, your stabilizer jacks will may hold the camper up. I would put blocks under the tongue to support it simply because things can go wrong! Unless you have the new jack already on site, and you know it is absolutely the correct fit, I would be prepared for the unknown and support the tongue with some solid blocking to be sure.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
I went through the same thing with my TT several years ago. The short answer is probably yes, your stabilizer jacks will may hold the camper up. I would put blocks under the tongue to support it simply because things can go wrong! Unless you have the new jack already on site, and you know it is absolutely the correct fit, I would be prepared for the unknown and support the tongue with some solid blocking to be sure.
Thanks for the reply.
I was planning exactly that! I purchased a new 5000lb towmaster to replace the 3500lb original one. It's a 3 bolt triangle pattern and at a glance looks like a good fit.
Wjranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:29 PM   #4

Probably cant get the tow vehicle back under and that be the "jack" support?

Have any kind of jack, hydraulic? Could even use the tow vehicle jack. Object is to carefully raise tongue with whatever jack and keep inserting wood/whatever under tongue frame for more secure support. From what I remember, the jack comes out the top. So may be able to perform with minimal raising.

As far as using stabilizers, I would not because I have a proper jack and wood to use. Although I would give it a try using the front stabilizers if no jack, as a last resort, but still keep inserting wood or other support as you raise, as @Nature Ist states.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:51 PM   #5

Well, I think the stabilizers would hold the trailer okay. I say this because there have been times that when I level the trailer, there is no weight on the tongue jack.

Keep in mind that I replaced the original flimsy Jayco factory stabilizers with BAL Stabilizers. Jayco installed jacks are rated at 2500 lbs. each. The BAL are rated at 5000 lbs. each.

I did a product comparison here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...cks-44583.html

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:31 PM   #6

Wj, you didn’t mention wheel chocks. Hoping you have them. As for the tongue jack, is it possible the “low in front” caused the jack to over extend or your TT shifted during the lift?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:17 PM   #7

If there's any possibility to get an automotive jack under the tongue, to take the weight; I'd do that... the stab-jacks -MAY- take the weight, but they aren't meant to.
OntFF is offline   Reply With Quote