Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

Replacement Foam for Cushions

Most of the foam in the RV cushions are close to the lowest quality possible. Maybe one to two year life if RV full-time living. I have been looking around for a good supplier of quality foam to replace the existing foam. Has anyone found a good place to buy this item. Local upholstery shops have been extremely expensive so I have been looking online. Foamonline is one source I have looked at but it is still pricey.

Thanks
darkcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #2

Adams Foam Rubber in Chicago, IL.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #3

Someone on the Forum posted this company awhile back. I haven't used them, but kept it for future reference.

https://www.activervupholstery.com/

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #4

I just finished doing this to my trailer, and it has made a night and day difference. I dealt with a local custom foam company, and I placed my orders over the phone with dimensions and they called me when it was ready.

The dinette was quite easy, as it was just two rectangular pieces, 3.5 or 4in thick. I went with a 45 density polyurethane foam (which is what they recommend for anything 4in or less) which I believe equated to 2.5lb density. They said the original stuff was 1lb density, and I believe it. Apparently for greater than 4in foam, they recommend 35 density. There is a 65 density but its super dense and would be for like a 1in foam camping sleeping mat kind of deal.

I only replaced the butt part of the dinette cushions, as the back rest ones were still fine and don't support weight like the bottoms do.

I was so impressed by the difference, that the 3-seat jackknife couch was next. I removed the 4 nuts holding the bottom part to the hinges and brought it inside. This is where the fun began. The couch was obviously home made in the Jayco factory, so it was the foam cushions wrapped in the couch fabric, and pulled tight with hog rings. Using pliers I pried them open to remove them, but kept them for re-use.

The cushions were blocks of 4in foam with other strips of foam glued to them for shape and support. I ordered each piece by measurement and when they arrived I used foam spray adhesive to rebuild the original shape, except using way better foam. It was a challenge to get the fabric stretched back over the foam and the hog rings back in place and bent closed, but with an extra set of hands it went reasonably well.

The finished product is fantastically better. I used to sink right through the 4in foam and it felt like I was sitting on plywood. Now there is so much wonderful support, it feels great. Highly recommend.

Materials cost was $100 Canadian for the dinette job, and $130 Canadian for the couch. Very pleased.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #5

I ended up going with https://www.foamproducts.net/. We will see how well it wears.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #6

Take your cushions to Gresham Upholstery and have them put in new foam.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestion, I called Gresham and they are $150 per cushion. The two I ordered (same ILD) will be about $132 for both. They will be wrapped in Dacron as well.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:27 PM   #8

Ended up ordering from Florida Foam products. Everything is cut correctly and fit perfectly in the cushion covers. It is a big difference in comparison to what Jayco put in.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcanyon View Post
Ended up ordering from Florida Foam products. Everything is cut correctly and fit perfectly in the cushion covers. It is a big difference in comparison to what Jayco put in.

So much for supporting your local business.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #10

Seriously man? People can buy from wherever they want. Nice way to treat someone with 16 posts, trying to improve their RV. Take your judgement somewhere else.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
So much for supporting your local business.
. When the local business is way out of line for pricing, you bet I will go elsewhere. The local business isn't a manufacturer but a middle man. Millions of people buy from China, why, because it is cheaper. Made in China is everywhere. Besides, with the virus from china and the lockdowns in Oregon, it is safer to order online.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:34 AM   #12

I won't put the company name because we are in "Covid" but I requested a quote two months ago, still nothing. Just going to buy locally and cut it myself.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:35 AM   #13

Try Adams Foam Rubber in Chicago. I did mine in a high density foam. Super stiff as I want the cushions to last a long time. They do offer different density's of foam. You can also just send them you covers and they will stuff the foam you choose and with a Dacron fabric wrap if you want and ship them back to you. I skipped the Dacron fabric wrap and my cushions are fine.

Good luck!

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I won't put the company name because we are in "Covid" but I requested a quote two months ago, still nothing. Just going to buy locally and cut it myself.
I am not sure how easy it would be to cut this type of foam. For the online sites, I put in the cushion dimensions, selected type and dacron and they gave me a price instantly.

The dimensions I used were from the tag on the cushion.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Try Adams Foam Rubber in Chicago. I did mine in a high density foam. Super stiff as I want the cushions to last a long time. They do offer different density's of foam. You can also just send them you covers and they will stuff the foam you choose and with a Dacron fabric wrap if you want and ship them back to you. I skipped the Dacron fabric wrap and my cushions are fine.

Good luck!

Marko
I will check them out. I have more cushions to do.

Thanks!

Tags
cushion, foam