Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

Replacement locks for OEM 751 keyed locks

I wanted to pass along that I found a source for replacing the all too common 751 storage compartment locks on our 2013 Jayco Eagle TT.

I just contacted Industrial Lock and Hardware. The locks will be keyed alike, but very unique so someone else having a key that'll work is all but impossible. They are sending me 3 new locks with the tubular style keys with dust covers. The sizes I ordered for the compartment doors are 7/8" long lock cylinders with 1 5/8" long lock arms and a 1/16" arm offset.

Click image for larger version

Name:	storage lock.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	8736

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #2

Kent

I'm very interested in this.....OUTSTANDING idea.

But I'm a little disappointed in the websites cryptic approach...no prices, print and fax in a form, no Pay-Pal or electronic payment. Not crazy about calling in or manually sending out my credit card information to a small business.

I have a few questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering now - or when you get your new locks for the benefit of everyone considering this helpful, easy mod. Thanks in advance.

1) Can you remove the key in the locked and unlocked position? (According to the picture you posted the answer is "yes"...but just wanted to make sure)

2) Approximate price per lock?
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

I have the same questions as Threebutchers. THX!

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

Replacement locks for OEM 751 keyed locks

This topic has been talked about on the other board and I believe the consensus was that it was virtually pointless. Sure, you might stop someone who was going to use his 751 key but someone with a screwdriver could still pry open the compartment.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

You can get locks with different keys in Quartzsite during the winter show. The only problem with different keys is that if you don't have your key with you your neighbors can't help you get in.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
This topic has been talked about on the other board and I believe the consensus was that it was virtually pointless. Sure, you might stop someone who was going to use his 751 key but someone with a screwdriver could still pry open the compartment.
Not arguing with you there....That's why I would not spend a lot for this mod. For me there are at least two benefits...1) I store my trailer where people come and go all the time and I think this removes some spontaneous temptation when they see the cylinder key.... 2) If they are going to pop (pry open) the door, it most likely wont close and least I will know when and were I was hit....

It's a deterrent....not a cure. And that enough insurance to be worth a couple of bucks to me.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #7

Re: Replacement locks for OEM 751 keyed locks

The issue with the "Q" type lock is that it is also easy to unlock. A bic pen with the plastic end removed fits perfectly into the round slot. Wiggle it and twist.... kryptonite recalled all of there bicycle locks and replaced them because of that issue with that style of key.

2011 Ford F150 S/Crew Ecoboost HD
2012 Jayco 33RLDS
2013 Four winns h180 ss
RaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
1) Can you remove the key in the locked and unlocked position? (According to the picture you posted the answer is "yes"...but just wanted to make sure)
I've done business with this place before. I had a big green Menard's toolbox where there was only about 5 different keys for every big green Menard's box made. Wanting to improve the security of my tools at work, I got better locks for it. They were the same type of lock and yes you could remove the key locked and unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
2) Approximate price per lock?
I'm getting 4 locks, all keyed the same at $11 and change each.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #9

I used the same company last year and replaced all my compartment locks. I am very satisfied with the lock cylinders I purchased for my 2013 26bh. The swap out/installation was easy.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #10

I replaced all my compartment locks with new ones from Industrial Lock and Hardware. The locks were easy to replace and were as ordered and arrived quickly without issues..
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #11

I simply went to my local locksmith and bought new cam locks keyed alike to replace the CH751. I paid $5/each with no shipping since it was a local business. When installing there are some pins that allow the key be removed while in lock and unlock position as well as only the locked position. I chose to use the pin and only allow the key to be removed while in locked position. Took approx 3 min per lock to replace.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #12

I went here and ordered new door locks and compartment locks so they all use the same key. My main reason for doing it was to have both doors use the same key. Everytime I went to open the door I picked the wrong key. I know there are easier ways to mark the keys but its nice having one key for everything.
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasy View Post
I went here and ordered new door locks and compartment locks so they all use the same key. My main reason for doing it was to have both doors use the same key. Everytime I went to open the door I picked the wrong key. I know there are easier ways to mark the keys but its nice having one key for everything.
Boom. Done.

Ordered new door lock and CH751 replacements with all matching keys. Secure online ordering with all prices listed.

Thanks......
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #14

I do not lock my storage compartments and nothing has ever been pilfered. I've been RV'ing since 1999.

The cost of the junk in my storage area is less than the cost to repair the damage due to forced entry.

Just my 2 cents.....
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #15

When I changed my locks it was for convenience and to keep honest thieves out. Its the same reason I lock my house and my car. I don't lock them because I think it will keep a criminal out but rather it will keep an honest person honest. The storage yard I keep my trailer at is very busy. Someone prying open a door would be a lot more noticeable than someone walking up with a key.

If someone opens one of my doors I will know because it will be broken. Most people say in my x number of years I have never had a problem. I would expect the same results regardless of what kind of locks I have.
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
I wanted to pass along that I found a source for replacing the all too common 751 storage compartment locks on our 2013 Jayco Eagle TT.

I just contacted Industrial Lock and Hardware. The locks will be keyed alike, but very unique so someone else having a key that'll work is all but impossible. They are sending me 3 new locks with the tubular style keys with dust covers. The sizes I ordered for the compartment doors are 7/8" long lock cylinders with 1 5/8" long lock arms and a 1/16" arm offset.

Attachment 8736
Thanks for posting this! I appreciate your taking the time to inform us about an option for our RVs

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #17

I now have the new locks installed on the storage compartments, they came in the mail today.
As you can see, I got the optional protective covers and re-used the finger pulls from the old locks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0628131655.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	8804 Click image for larger version

Name:	0628131655a.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	8805

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have ordered the 1 1/2" lock arms. The lock arms I ordered ended up being a bit too long. I could have shortened them on the bench grinder. But included with the locks were adapters that allowed me to just use the arms off the original locks. And yes, the key is removable in the locked or unlocked position.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #18

Slightly off topic, but still dealing with keys. My TT is stored nearly 300 miles away at a ocean campground. It is the only place it has ever been, and the only place we stay. My last trip down, I was about half way there and realized I had forgotten my keys! Lucky for me that I had not used the deadbolt. I simply went across the street to my dealer, who let me use his master keys for the weekend.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #19

I just went to ACE hardware and bought the right size and put them in. Was a couple of years ago so don't remember how much. I always lock everything even when we parked the trailer in the back yard.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote