Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Replacing J-Cubes with a bunk bed. Anyone ever done this?

I would love to replace our bunkhouse J-Cubes for a permanent bunk bed. My 72 yr old Mom likes to camp with us at times, but then we have to give up our bed because she has a hard time getting out of the J-Cubes since they are so soft. And, the upper bunks, even with a ladder, are impossible for her. We do have the couch with air mattress and kitchen table bed, but that is the reason we bought the bunkhouse model, to avoid doing this night after night.
Has anyone done this? I want to make sure that it can be done (successfully) without compromising the walls. She's not a large person, average weight and only 5'3", so I think this would be a great mod for the hubby to try!
Let me point out that hubby isn't too thrilled about this project, but he is never thrilled to give up our bed & privacy. My mom said she'd be okay with the bunk set-up since she isn't technically sleeping on the floor and much easier to get out of. We have 2 teenage boys that are willing to help.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

Can you see if a Coleman camping bed/cot can fit in there? That way you.wouldn't need to permanently modify your TT.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
Can you see if a Coleman camping bed/cot can fit in there? That way you.wouldn't need to permanently modify your TT.
I'm sure something like that could fit and then easily fold away for travel, but are they pretty sturdy? That would be the only thing because she is not physically strong and would use the sides to get herself up and I don't want it to tip. She's already broken her femur once from tripping on a porch step.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Not sure how handy the DH is; I would be more concerned about “purchasing” a bunk bed and trying to make it fit and securing it to the TT, then custom building a bed. I would think it would be best to build in a single bed that is similar in construction to your nice bed. I would think a half sheet of ½” ply for the top, and a sheet of paneling for the sides, along with some 1” x 2” dimensional lumber , a box of 1 ¼” Kreg brand screws (I really like these for the TT) and a box of brads or staples (for a pneumatic tool). With a few hours of planning you could probably have it built in a day. A couple of options could be added such as a hinge and gas struts to keep it open to store the kids stuff.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote