Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 AM   #1

Replacing matress with standard mattress

I have been looking for a mattress replacement for months. Just a thought why cant I run toe the local mattress store and buy a pillow top serta and put n the trailer? Wife wants a standard queen and there is enough room in the trailer[2014 248RBS]] Asking for thoughts and opinions. I am finishing this in two weeks.
BillMC
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #2

Mattress

Bill, If you say it will fit, there's no reason why you can't, as long as it will fit through your door and you can flip it if need be.
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #3

I want to say a residential Queen is 80" long. Take a measurement and see if it would fit.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #4

Don't see why not. That's what I did with an Icomfort mattress.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #5

The factory mattress lasted one night and was gone the next. Replaced by a standard queen Serta Pillowtop. As long as you can get the new one in the door and onto the bed platform, no reason why not.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Residential queen is 60x80 whereas an RV (short) queen is 60x75.
Many recent jay flight models now come with a residential size queen.
Measure to be sure, but many of us have used residential mattress in our rigs.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #7

There is a short queen in there now, all american made on line tried to steer me to the standard queen. If we do this it will leave app.7 inches between the foot of the bed and the wall. I think I would fit according to the wife. I realize I will probally have to lenghten the bed platform. Any more thoughts
BillMc
Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #8

Decision Made

We are going to buy a Serta from Big Lots. After BSing with a sales person there. I gathered some more info. Mattresses will more then likely still be on sale first of April. Also will be a friends and family sale 20% off. So in a way I can double dip. Mattress will be less then online pricing.
BillMc
Old 03-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Residential queen is 60x80 whereas an RV (short) queen is 60x75.
Many recent jay flight models now come with a residential size queen.
Measure to be sure, but many of us have used residential mattress in our rigs.

What about those of us that have a bedroom slide? The factory mattress touches the cabinets when the slide is in.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsikes View Post
What about those of us that have a bedroom slide? The factory mattress touches the cabinets when the slide is in.
Unless you measure and are sure a full queen will fit a rig designed for a short queen, I would replace a short with a short. The problem with short (RV) queens is that many residential mattress stores don't carry short queens. However, there are a ton of short queens available online.
As mentioned, my jay flight came with a full size queen, so we replaced it with a full size queen. With my bedroom slide closed, we still have enough room to walk by the foot of the bed. We replaced with a Brentwood 11" memory gel. We have the same mattress at home.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #11

Bill. my feet are more than seven inches long and walking requires clearance for at least two feet side by side.. We have one foot clearance. It is manageable.. barely.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #12

We have a 27 dsrl White hawk. If we replaced factory with standard mattress would lose ability to raise up storage platform . So I purchased a queen 3 inch memory foam topper and cut to fit RV mattress. Instant comfort without sacrificing space!
WhiteHawk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #13

As for if it will fit, you are likely only going to increase the length by about inches. Take your current mattress and move it 5 inches away from the headboard and that is what it will be with a regular mattress.

If that works for you, go for it......
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #14

Another thing to measure is the mattress thickness and overall distance from the floor to the top of the mattress. A residential mattress is usually thicker than the factory camper mattress, which would raise the overall height which might make it difficult to get into bed.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #15

We just purchased our Jay Flight SLX 212QBW a couple of weeks ago and the Denver Mattress on it is like laying on a slab of concrete. For now we are going to put milk crate foam rubber on it. When the Serta Pillow tops go on sale, we plan on replacing it.
Ron Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:13 AM   #16

Bill, we changed our matress half way through our first trip out with a quick stop at Sam's... easy fix. Like everyone said ensure you measure accurately to include open and closed slides if applicable (height of matress may be impacting too). The other thing is a new, quality matress will weigh more so you may want to eventually change out the bed lift supports too.

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHawk44 View Post
We have a 27 dsrl White hawk. If we replaced factory with standard mattress would lose ability to raise up storage platform . So I purchased a queen 3 inch memory foam topper and cut to fit RV mattress. Instant comfort without sacrificing space!
Can you offer some clarification on this? Is your 27DSRL an older model that may have come with a short queen? I know our 2016 27DSRL included a 60x80 as standard equipment. I'm 6'-3" and a full length queen was a requirement when shopping for us. Like you, we also added the memory foam topper and don't have any trouble raising the storage platform. Regardless, we're still not happy with the factory mattress and will be making the change to a quality matress for this season. While we're on the subject, is it just me or does anyone else agree that Jayco could not have put the furnace register for their bedroom in a worse place? It's under the overhang of the bed on a lot of models. Half the heat is already wasted warming the underside of the platform plywood. Any bed covering that overhangs the foot of the bed only exacerbates the problem....

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #18

I just wanted to say, yes the standard queen will be a tight fit length wise. It is do able. There will be 7 inches from the end of the mattress to the wall. There will still be app. two feet from the base to the wall. My under bed storage never had the gas lifts. I have redone the bed platform last year. I replace the plywood that was there with 5/8. I had to change a few things when I did that. Since I had the bed area apart, I cut a piece of plywood the width of the bed platform and secured it to the existing framing. Now the 5/8 plywood has for bracing. I also have outside only storage and I small space under the bed. Just waiting on big lots to have a 20% off sale.
BillMc
Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #19

Update

Well I went to Big a lots this morning and purchased a Sealey Queen Turing? Well it fits,I have to walk sideways between the foot of the bed and wall. The plush pillowtop is quite a bit higher then the short queen we removed. We are fine with the additional height. We also picked up a new cover. I am sure this will be a great up grade.
BilMc
Old 04-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #20

We also have a 2016. I actually never measured our mattress, Relatives have the 2014, and when they upgraded to a regular mattress, they lost walking room at the foot of the bed and could no longer raise the platform. I just thought it would be the same for our 2016, but maybe not if they changed the length of the 2016 mattress.
ANd Yes totally agree with the register placement.
WhiteHawk44 is offline   Reply With Quote