Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2022, 11:34 PM   #1

Replacing outside locks

I’m the rookie and we are still waiting on our TT order. So I’ve been watching a lot of RV YouTube— a LOT! I’m sure some of that will be counterproductive. But one video had a young couple living off grid describing their modifications. She mentioned that many RV’s have the same locks. She mentioned the key number. So they replaced all their outside locks with something tumblers? She also mentioned they replaced their door lock with a keyless entry.They liked it but didn’t love it like their other mods. Is this important to replace the locks? If so, what brand for the outside locks? And if you added a keyless entry, and you love it, what brand did you order? Thank you again!
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:47 AM   #2

The locks on storage compartments seem to have a common key, stamped with “751” IIRC. Our 5th needed 3 different keys, entry door, basement and front storage. I bought replacement locks matching the basement for the entry and storage doors from rvlocksandmore.com

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:07 AM   #3
Site Team

A 751 hatch key will open the hatch on most almost any rv made. Many are very nervous knowing that. Personally it does not bother me because no matter what you spend on a hatch lock it's open in 2 seconds with a large screwdriver by someone who wants in.

I have never had anything stolen in 20+ years if that is any comfort.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:38 AM   #4

On my 18 264bh, the only lock with the c751 key is the outside shower.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:00 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
On my 18 264bh, the only lock with the c751 key is the outside shower.
Did you change them? Just curious because with the new slam latches there may be a new way to do it.

I know I have surprised a few SOB (some other brand) owners while they were reaching for their keys by opening their hatch with my key.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 05-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #6

All of the other locks came keyed alike upon purchase. Except for that shower door. Double sided key if I remember right. It was a 18 model purchased new off of the lot in may of 20.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #7

Bauer Products make and supplies most RV locks for the industry. you can order re-keyy sets from them to match current locks or change them as you wish. they also have an veery nice Bluetooth Door lock that has worked well for me. Below is their site.

https://bauerproducts.com
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:53 AM   #8

Once you realize a thief can easily break in by causing damage with a screwdriver or pry bar keys start to become a non issue except for YouTube content creators who receive products for recommending them.

I'll trust a fellow RV owner at a campground with a key over criminals in my storage lot with tools.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Once you realize a thief can easily break in by causing damage with a screwdriver or pry bar keys start to become a non issue except for YouTube content creators who receive products for recommending them.

I'll trust a fellow RV owner at a campground with a key over criminals in my storage lot with tools.
I agree. If a thief can't break into a trailer in less than a minute they don't know what they are doing. What I do is just lock it up and keep insurance on it. And hope for the best.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:27 AM   #10

I did not worry too much on the "common key" deal, but rather the fact that sooner or later, those keys break off in the slot. I bought and replaced all of my basement keys with barrel locks. Much more robust, and you won't fall into the "every key is the same on all RV's" scenerio.

In case you did not know, most EZGO electric golf carts use the same key as well.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:53 AM   #11

You can easily replace your OEM locks with Bauer RV locks. You can even choose which key you like and have them all keyed alike.

For even more security you can use PACLOCK cam locks. These are not usually used on RVs so no one will ever have the key and again, you can choose which key you want. PACLOCKs are well made and pick-resistant. Even the Lock Picking Lawyer likes them. He can pick them of course, but some ordinary thief would have a hard time.

No such lock is safe from a force attack but the options above will give you an extra measure of security.

I put three locks on all my hatches, one in the center and one on each side. This will annoy a thief and he may move on to an easier target. That's about all the security you can expect.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #12

You do not mention which camper you have on order. Back in the day the CH751 key was on every cargo hold of every trailer made.

In the last few years that is becoming less and less common. I would wait and see what your new camper will come with.

FYI, your current TT, has the CH751 key, does not bother me everyone else has it. It actually saved my hide once.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
A 751 hatch key will open the hatch on most almost any rv made. Many are very nervous knowing that. Personally it does not bother me because no matter what you spend on a hatch lock it's open in 2 seconds with a large screwdriver by someone who wants in.

I have never had anything stolen in 20+ years if that is any comfort.
That's so true, I have 2 - 6" PVC tubes mounted on my kayak trailer and the chatter on the kayak angling forum was how to better secure ( over and above a padlock) the end hatches to prevent rods being stolen. I'm like, guys it's PVC!
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:48 PM   #14

I can tell you from direct experience that my 2021 Jayco 27RB does not use a CH751 key. Its locks were made by Bauer Products. They claim to have hundreds of key combinations. I ordered several additional locks from them. They ask you for the number written on your current Bauer key if you would like them key alike.

So, the old adage that any RV lock can be opened with a CH751 key simply isn't true for all cases.

I also changed my door locks and these don't work with a CH751 key either.

I'm not saying that any RV locks offer any great security, only that CH751 keys will not work on all of them and that you can at least easily change out the ones that do.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9001 View Post
I'm not saying that any RV locks offer any great security, only that CH751 keys will not work on all of them and that you can at least easily change out the ones that do.
I agree as you can see, my rig is 11 years old and that common key is being phased out but on an older rig you will see plenty of them out there.
Gator roll-up bed cover