Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #11

The height of the tire/wheel combo I want to use is 6 inches taller than the 20.5x8-10 stock wheel. The mount is two inches wide.

Joe Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #12

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/contact.html

OK, just got off the phone with the adapter guy. An adapter can be made to space the lug from 4x4 inch to 5x130mm (5x5.12"). $150.00 which is cheaper than replacing the hubs. I've dealt with this company before and they make a good product. Not worried about breakage as they use these on pretty high horsepower rides and this is just a tag along trailer.

Now, to calculate backspace to determine if I need a flat or thicker spacer for proper placement in the well. I also need to figure how high the spacer block for the axle and the body to lift it higher and not rub on the TOP of the wheel well.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #13

Was told that many trailer's need a minimim 3" gap from their tires to any contact area of its inner fender. This assumes the axle rating is properly rated for its upper weight re: 5,000 lbs ontop of 3,000 lbs axle will compress much more than say 2,000 lbs load on a 3,000 lbs axle. Personally, I like using 4" cap. Just in case the trailer wheel hits a big dip and it dramatically compresses its axle suspension.

With this in mind, it migt be best to upgrade the hubs, install the replacement rims, then check for gapping. If under 3", then frame steel spacer will be needed. But if 4" gap remaining, you should be good (under normal flat road driving conditions).

If costing out your comparison (of special adaptor compared to new hubs), do inquire about hubs with brake assemblies. IMO, any trailer above 1,500 lbs needs it own brakes. Especially if being towed with a typical smaller sized vehicle (compared to a F-350 or Hummer vehicle).

Hope this helps....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #14

Dry weight on this trailer is 1575 lbs. I don't plan on traveling with a lot of crap as I'm single now......the 911 has close to 300 hp and VERY good brakes.

I also have a GMC Yukon 2500 with Quad Steer.....

But thanks for the warning.......
Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #15

Got the body lift almost done. I used plate on the sides to do the lift, I pick up the 2x6 tubing tomorrow and will cut to fit.

The 4x4" to 5x130 adapters are on order. The guy is local.

Will have to modify the height of the tow hitch on the vehicle. Will be on the road soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I attached pics of the lift and the wheel to be used.

Overall lift is 6 inches on the body and 3 inches on the wheel....9 inches total. No more drag on steep curbs and speed bumps or bottoming out on dirt roads.
Attached Thumbnails
lift.jpg   Fuch.jpg  
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #16

Finished the 2"x6" steel spacers between the axle and the frame. The install took a good four hours. Dulled 2 half inch Carbide drill bits at 12 bucks a piece. Used grade 8 nuts, bolts, washers and locks. Cranked them down to 120 foot lbs.

The adapters aren't ready yet but did a test fit of the wheels.

The first (that I know of) Jayco tent trailer with German alloy wheels. Bling on a ghetto camper.....

Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #17

Hi Joe.

Your new rim and axle "lift" looks great. You do great work!!!!

If you aren't too sure of enough gapping (of tire to its nearest touch points), you can always connect your trailer's toungue to your Tow Vehicle. Then, perhaps have a few guys on the trailer's rear bumper and they all jump up/down. Then, someone else visualizes its remaining gap (while under compression). If all "looks good under compression", your setup is perfect. Otherwise, add 1 or 2 more inches of torsion axle lift. Especially if you plan to travel across a few rough CGs or rough county roads.

Overall, your mods look great. Way to go!!!! Thanks for sharing your finished results....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote