Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #1

residential fridge

i have a large residential fridge with ice maker and water and ice in the door...when im dry docking it uses up my batteries fast...i have harris batteries 6 volt model number hbdagmgc6-a 224 ah...if you know this battery its deep cycle and has high ah...my question is should i change these out to 12 volts and with a higher ah...will it solve my problem...currently my batteries last about 36 hours and then i have to run the generator before i uasw up those and my starting battery...please advise
rkelley712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #2

Recommend you tally all that is drawing current when on batteries... fridge, inverter, other appliances, etc then asses your battery needs from there depending
on the length of time you want to boondock... determining battery needs by fridge amp draw alone is only part of the equation...
I would also look at Lithium batteries if you can, but compare different types matched to the AH need you have... vs cost/life cycle...etc...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #3

thanks for the advice...one question is it better to have to 2 12 volts or 2 6 volts with the approximate same ah
rkelley712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelley712 View Post
thanks for the advice...one question is it better to have to 2 12 volts or 2 6 volts with the approximate same ah
It works out pretty much the same as 6 volt batteries have a higher ah. Most 12 volt batteries have 100ah and most 6 volt batteries have 200-230ah. When you connect two 12 volts in series, your ah doubles so you have 200ah. If you take two 6 volts and connect them in series, you double the voltage but the ah stays the same, so two 6 volt would still give you 200-230ah. Where the 6 volts have an advantage is they are built with heavier plates inside and will hold a charge longer and last longer than 12v batteries if maintained properly. You also have to remember that even if you have a total of 200ah, you really only have 100ah of use as you really don’t want to take them down below 50% charge or you start causing damage, most 6 volts you can safely take down to 40% charge. The Harris batteries you have are not very good batteries but you say you are getting 36 hours out of them with a residential…..that’s actually pretty good IMO, better AGM batteries like Lifeline would probably get you a little more but if you are not happy with that you would have to jump to Lifepo4 batteries. The advantage of Lifepo4 batteries is you will have 12-13 volts clear down to about 10% charge left where on a flooded or agm, your voltage drops with use and you have about 12 volts at 50% charge left. Lifepo4 batteries also charge up a lot faster than flooded or agm.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #5

Here is a good link for some more info for your consideration.

https://rvlifestyle.com/best-rv-batt...r-boondocking/

Also, do a search in the forums with the search option as there are a lot
of conversations in this forum on batteries/info/recommendations...etc

Helped me decide what I wanted to do when I went Lithium last year...

Safe travels!
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #6

My Northpoint has a res fridge and runs on two 6v flooded Interstate batteries that came with the trailer when I bought it 5 years ago. The fridge batteries are seperate from the main Duracell AGM battery. My fridge batteries are charged when connected to shore power. I've run the fridge for almost 2 full days and no issues.
Maybe something to look into, separating the fridge DC system from the main coach system.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
My Northpoint has a res fridge and runs on two 6v flooded Interstate batteries that came with the trailer when I bought it 5 years ago. The fridge batteries are seperate from the main Duracell AGM battery. My fridge batteries are charged when connected to shore power. I've run the fridge for almost 2 full days and no issues.
Maybe something to look into, separating the fridge DC system from the main coach system.
Kind of set up like a house and chassis battery. Never seen that in a fifth wheel
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote