Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #21

I'm sure their's a mileage limit to towing since it says to nearest repair shop, but I've use them two times to tow and both times they towed to where I wanted to go. Once was a little over 40 miles and the other about 20. I'm know it would be different if I were further away. This was GS
Old 03-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
Family Motor Coach Association

They used to be driveable RVs only but recently opened up their organization to towables as well.
Thanks.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #23
DRE

I've had the Good Sam coverage that comes with a new purchase, never had to use it. The one flat I had I just changed myself. I also have AAA but they won't cover everywhere and have a mileage limit. I just figure if I can afford a 50k+ rig I can afford to have it towed or serviced as needed. Just my 2 $. (Inflation)
DRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #24

I would like to think that anyone can change a tire, rather than sitting for hours waiting for a guy to hopefully show up and do it.

I'm an old guy and can change one on the side of the road and be gone in 15 minutes.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:29 AM   #25

That may or may not be true. They originally told me they would come change my tire. I was in Madison Campground which is on the west entrance from West Yellowstone, MT. It has all hard surface roads, just no electricity.
We went back to our campsite, and waited. Presently, a ranger came down and told us that Good Sam subsequently called them at the welcome center to say they were not allowed to come in to the park.

I don't know what to say. Either in your case, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, or in my case, I got hold of an incompetent phone operator.

I will add this. Several years ago, I had a damaged tire that needed removing. I called Good Sam then. It took 4 hours before a guy arrived. I was traveling on US-17 headed north in SC. It was within 5 miles of an exit to I-95. The service actually worked at a service station at the exit.

I'm ready to try Coach Net, but reports in this thread say their prices have skyrocketed. We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
I have Good Sam travel insurance and called to confirm that they did or did not go into the national parks as we tend to Camp a great deal in the national parks. They do in fact go into the national parks and forests but will not leave the established roadways to go on a back Trail to make a retrieval or repair. I think your buddy from the Ukraine was a little confused about that.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:39 AM   #26
Site Team

I have had GSRS for 10+ years with no complaints, They have arranged towing for a number of my vehicles, even those that were not campers or camping and changed a good many tires.

Everyone can find a problem with any of them. They all contract with the same local providers and have their own rules. I like GSRS because they always are a phone call away and they keep me aware of when the roadside service is arriving and follow up afterward. After all, they have nothing to offer but dispatch/ billing and customer service. They have done a good job for me.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #27

Gsrs?
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjmck View Post
Gsrs?
Good Sam.

As for changing a tire on my MH, I'm probably capable with the proper tools, but with my age and a 100 pound tire (especially an inside dually), it's not in my best interest. Of course I'd rather not wait on service but then again if I screw something up, it's going to last a lot longer than 4 hours.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #29

A 100# motor home tire would be hard to handle for me now. I planned ahead at my age and bought a trailer with 14" tires. I do keep a roadside assistance deal in case the truck goes down though. But, I would never wait hours to get a tire changed.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjmck View Post
Gsrs?

GSRS = Good Sam Road service
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #31

I have been a GS member since the late 90's and also have their Road Side Assistance. I have used it twice in the last 10 years ago, both times when the fuel pump in my TV went out. In the first instance the truck was in my drive way, and the second time was a few years later at a campground. Both times the response was quick and efficient and cost us nothing. These both happened a long time ago. I have not had the need to use it recently.

My Good Sam renewal is up soon and reading some of the recent experiences others have had with GS roadside assistance has me wondering about my choice for RV coverage. Other RV forums I have looked at also have a lot of very negative comments about GSRA. It seems they are not as good as they used to be and going downhill fast.

So my question revolves around the other companies out there. Has anyone had a recent experience using Coach-Net, FMCA, or Route 66 RV Network? I currently use AAA for my vehicles, but AAA's RV coverage seems minimal and they have a lot of restrictions.

I have read many opinions about Good Sam and that's not what I'm interested in; I would like to hear from anyone who has used Good Sam Roadside Assistance within the past year, and those who have used the other companies mentioned as well. Thank......
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #32

I have Coach Net but have never used it. When it was sold to me at coach purchase I was told that if you blow a tire they will bring you a new one. Is this true?

As no spare came with my 2017 Greyhawk I worry about a tire failure. If it is a simple nail I would assume they could fix it on the spot. But if it is a blowout or sidewall failure, then what. A new free tire?

I installed a wireless tire pressure monitoring unit for some peace of mind. The inner tires are not easily seen if they start to go low. At least now I can see a drop in pressure before a major self-destruct.

So my question is - will they give you a free new tire if the old one can't be repaired?
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #33

coach net like all road side assistance programs will bring you a new tire at YOUR cost but the removal, mounting and installation should be covered by your policy
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #34

Smile

I opted to buy a spare, along with a TPMS. Already used the spare when away from home; Coach Net came when promised and changed it out. Was losing air as I drove, not too fast but noticeable. With TPMS I could keep an eye on it. Took it and dropped it off at Mavis where I bought the spare, fixed the original tire at no charge. Took it back some time later to put the original on and we’re back in business. I’d rather not have to rely upon someone finding a tire when needed if I can just have it on hand. Extra weight versus peace of mind, I guess.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #35

Any used Road America Motor Club RV Assist Plus? It was offered to me through Wholesale Warranties, and also has The Viking Protection Plan on the form. It appears roughly the same as Coach-Net, and covers all in the household and their vehicles (spouse and dependent children < 26). I am looking to change from Good Sam - lockout service to 5W denied because trailer could be towed. Other roadside assistance plans do not appear to have that particular clause - roadside assistance only offered if trailer cannot be towed.
2007 Ford F-250 CC - Forcibly Retired
2006 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 312BHDS - Retired
mbwatson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #36

One thing important to me because we have a 5th wheel is whether the provider will tow a disabled truck AND the 5th wheel at no extra charge. If our truck breaks down I sure don't want to leave the 5th wheel in the middle of no where. The only provider that specifically states on their website that they will tow both is Good Sam. Guess I need to make some phone calls.

Coach-Net and AAA are pretty expensive compared to Good Sam and FMCA. Of course if they can't provide dependable service low price does no good!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #37

Mixed reviews on GSRA

I have Good Sam's Roadside Assistance and have used it three times. The 1st we were in need of a tire, but mobile, and they referred us to a dealer. The 2nd was a tread separation (inner dual) I noticed while leveling in a state park campground. The service tech was courteous and arrived quickly. These were 3-4 years ago and I woukd classify as very good service. This summer I had a flat due to a broken valve stem (same inner dual, be careful with extensions) and the service was very slow. Initial call was late afternoon and we were camped for the night in a different state park. They could not locate anyone that would come out so I told them the next day would be ok. The following day it took 2 - 3 calls before someone was dispatched. That technician was very helpful, friendly, and professional. As the site was unlevel the motorhome was on blocks about 4 inches up on that side. This was not something I wanted to tackle. I don't usually need assistance for such things and carry tools for most things, but I do know my limitations, especially when it may affect my health. I'll put up with small inconveniences or declining services.
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote