Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2022, 05:47 AM   #1

Roof coating

This has problem been asked a hundred times but what does everyone use to coat there roof with?
Tharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharris View Post
This has problem been asked a hundred times but what does everyone use to coat there roof with?
The roof normally doesn't need to be coated only cleaned regularly and just maintain all the caulked areas properly. If you use ETERNABOND on them you won't have to worry for many years. That's how I handled every rig and never had roof issues.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The roof normally doesn't need to be coated only cleaned regularly and just maintain all the caulked areas properly. If you use ETERNABOND on them you won't have to worry for many years. That's how I handled every rig and never had roof issues.
X2. I try to inspect and wash the roof twice a year. If I have been out and about and think I might have scraped my roof on a branch I will do a mid year inspection for damage.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:11 PM   #4

jayco videos show a 20 year limited warrenty on the rubber roofs. Construction industry has a 50 year warrenty on rubber roofs. Mines 13 years old and no leaks that we seen ( bought used recently)
Old 09-08-2022, 04:44 PM   #5

Nothing.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:29 PM   #6
CAG

Nothing and if it has been asked a hundred times and you looked at the answers why are you asking again

That is rhetorical by the way.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:46 PM   #7

If I had looked at the answer I would not have asked the question. You know everyone likes a little ... but not a smart one. All I did was ask a simple question ...
Old 09-08-2022, 10:34 PM   #8

Quote:
If I had looked at the answer I would not have asked the question. You know everyone likes a little ... but not a smart one. All I did was ask a simple question ...
Yes, a simple question which has been asked many times, but so has a lot of other questions here in the forums and there isn't anything wrong at all in asking again. Especially for our newer members.

My roof is EPDM and with time the white of the rubber has worn thin in areas and mine is not as bright and white as it once was. No leaks or issues and Jayco says that losing the white is not an issue... in any case I plan to use Henry's Tropicool whenever I get around to coating mine.

Camping world sells a coating as well that is recommended by Alpha Systems, which I believe made my rubber roof as well as the manufacture for many other Jayco's. Something to check out, but I still plan to use Henry's, at least that is my current plan.

https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/lite...ochure_web.pdf

btw, You can get Henry's at Home Depot.

~CA
Old 09-09-2022, 04:14 AM   #9

I've never experienced a leak on my 2006, but non the less I have applied a rubber type coating. Where I work, we apply this to the rubber membrane roofs of portables to seal small leaks (fallen branches, etc.) It rolls on, and dries within about 30 minutes, leaving a rubber coating.
Maybe it is over kill, but does not hurt anything.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 04:29 AM   #10

New gold,Water..

i have a 2007 Eagle TT. While washing and inspecting the roof I could hear the crunch of bad wood at the ladder mount area and at the anchor bolt for my awning..I peeled back TPO in these areas R&R'ed plywood at bad areas, reattached TPO then applied Henry's Tropicool to Everthing done deal no rain on my parade..40 yrs tile trade and I've seen every shower leak,steam room leak,ect.. Only takes a pin-hole and water will travel horizontally 6ft easy..Made me alot of money..Glad you asked
Attached Thumbnails
20220904_113159.jpg  
Tuna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 04:59 AM   #11

https://rv-armor.com/
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:29 PM   #12

Roof coating

Only time I would think you needed to coat your roof is if the black rubber is coming thru or if you have a leak. I just chatted mine and use Mobile home roof paint. .. Elastickoat or koolkoat
scottnemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:47 PM   #13

Our choice…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
For our fiberlass roofed Precept, we chose RV-Armor. Peace of mind without needing go go up on the roof multiple times a year.
tdbrackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:07 PM   #14

I bought the tt with a rebuilt title. Just want to make sure it don't leak and ruin everything. It all looks good on top. There is a couple spots arou d the vents and ac that I need to caulk or put that self leveling stuff on. With it being a 2006 model just figured it might need a coat on it. Thanks for your input
Old 09-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #15

Quote:
I bought the tt with a rebuilt title. Just want to make sure it don't leak and ruin everything. It all looks good on top. There is a couple spots arou d the vents and ac that I need to caulk or put that self leveling stuff on. With it being a 2006 model just figured it might need a coat on it. Thanks for your input
Yeah, you should be fine not doing anything to it. Be sure to take care of those other spots you're talking about though. You're doing the right thing by starting on the roof. Use Eternabond on the seams and Dicor self-leveling sealant on the vents.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:02 PM   #16

Eternabind is the tape correct. I have the doctor self leveling sealant
Old 09-21-2022, 02:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Dicor makes roof coatings products. I used Coolcoat on my old camper and it did a very nice job. As I recall, there was a cleaner/primer that goes on first. Application was simple and can be done in an afternoon. The coating provides a thick covering that looks great. I plan to apply it to my new camper in a few years. If applied before the roof show damage, I would guess that the life of the roof membrane could be extended indefinitely.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:36 PM   #18

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X2 wash, inspect, eternabond prn
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
X2 wash, inspect, eternabond prn
Thanks for the input.