Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
jfg

Roof question

Good evening everyone,

I have a 22bhm and on the roof, there is a screw that popped out of the plywood making a bump maybe 1/8” high.

When I pointed it out during the PDI, the dealer said jayco likely wouldn’t authorize a roof replacement for this.
His suggestion was to put a big glob of caulking over in case the screw ever punctured the membrane. Seems like a lazy fix to me but I don’t really like the idea of tearing the factory roof off a trailer that is less than a year old. I was thinking maybe a small patch with eternabond but I’m worried it might have an impact on the trade in value when we decide to upgrade.

Should I push the dealer to fix it or live with a patch? I still have about 15 months left on the warranty.
jfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #2

Could be a screw or a staple, I would gently pound it down and put the patch on it and go camping and not worry about it. If you wanted to remove that screw or move it over you could make a small slit and move the screw, then put the patch on it. If I remember, they screw the perimeters and staple the field of each sheet of plywood.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #3

If it was me, I would have it documented and I would install an eternabond patch.

It is a lot o work to tear off the roof, and then there is the potential issue it was not installed right.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #4

I agree with the others, carefully hammer the screw down and patch over the area with Eternabond tape. Make sure you check the roof twice a year and touchup any areas that need it, dont want any leaks
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #5

After the Eternabond I would put some self leveling sealant as well since this is on the roof.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
jfg

Thanks for the feedback... this confirms what I was thinking. I don’t think hammering will push it back in permanently. I can push it all the way in with my finger but it keeps coming back out.
jfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #7

Perhaps push the screw down which you say is possible and then open a very small hole on top of that screw area allowing for gobs of monster wood glue to be squirted in and surrounding that screw subsurface. Place a heavy weight over that spot to keep screw intact and in place. Allow this to dry for the very minimum of 48 hours. This should secure the screw and plywood subsurface. Finally remove the heavy weight and put a dab of self-leveling Dicor on top of that little hole to keep moisture out and let it set in the sun for a day or two to dry and I don't think anyone would even notice this if you were ever going to resell this RV. It would solve the problem. That I think is what I would do for an easy fix which does not draw attention to itself.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #8

^^This

I would pull out the screw and determine 'fill' (epoxy, wood glue, or wood filler) based on substrate. You may find that the installer just missed the joist, so put the screw back where it will do some good and then apply patch.

Document all in photos and send to Jayco for establishing date of issue and solution in case there are other issues down the road.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote