Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2023, 08:30 AM   #1

Round A/C Vents-How remove?

We have 4" round directional AC ceiling vent covers in our Precept Class A. Trying to remove so we can see if duct tape is needed to better seal the vent.

Our covers do not have any visible screw holes to simply remove. I've searched this forum and don't see any tips for this particular item. Do you use 2-3 small flat head screw drivers and pry the cover off gently? Looks like the covers are two pieces. The visible piece should pry or twist off, and the inner piece is then screwed to the ceiling.

Also, last year the vent flaps would open and close easily, but this year don't move. Can these be lubricated? Or do they need a firm push to get started again?

Thanks for any tips, don't want to break anything.

Dale
DLAreho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Try twisting the outer cover just a little and I think it will pop off, exposing 3 mounting screws.

edit: BTW, I did mine a few years back and it helped greatly. I used some duct tape with an aluminum coating.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:38 AM   #3

The cap and vent itself should just pop off, the screws are underneath in the flange. Using a flat screw driver as you mentioned should work. I've had some that just popped off with my fingers pulling on the edges.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:54 AM   #4

Yep they just pop off. It’s a 2 pices unit. The part that swivels is the part that pops out. Be careful it’s pretty easy to break one of the vent fins. Use a flathead screwdriver to help get one side started.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 11:56 AM   #5

Additional Info from Poster

Hi All: Thanks for the 3 responses already. I went to the coach (a 2021 model) and tried the small flat head screwdrivers to try to pry the outer cover off. Still very tight and does not seem to budge. Tried on a total of 3 vents. I'm attaching 3 pictures. One with the screwdrivers just to show how I did it. The other two pictures show inside the vent cover. It may be that there are 'tabs' that hold the vent in place. I see three tabs, and on the opposite side three tabs. The pictures are close ups of the tabs. With my finger I tried to pull them back, but can't really get my finger in there. Part of me wonders if this is a new design. But 80 percent of me says that I'm going to have to exert more force than I want on these. I have 14 vents and they are all tight. Thanks to anyone with any more tips!! Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Round Vent_two screwdrivers.jpg   Round Vent_three tabs 1.jpg   Round Vent_three tabs 2.jpg  
DLAreho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:00 PM   #6

You’re close. Keep pulling they will come out. I slide my finger in as close to the edge as I can and pull down. It’s going to sound like you break them when they pop up but they shouldn’t break. If you pop out one of the vent pieces they also pop back in place.

If for whatever reason you need a replacement here is a link.

Thetford RV Camper 1.5 Flange CoolVent Deluxe Adjustable Ceiling AC Vent Polar White PN 94271 https://a.co/d/0v5L7lg
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:00 PM   #7

Try a putty knife and push against some of the tabs to see if that let it pop loose.
Old 04-11-2023, 05:58 PM   #8

yep, slightly more force, but not too much, lol
GL
Pete