Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Route Tips - Philadelphia to Williamburg

Hello Everyone!

I am scoping out our route from the Philadelphia Area to Williamsburg VA for an upcoming trip. I see that there is the obvious 95 South route, but have also been told about taking route 301. It looks like you can pick-up 301 either early in Delaware or outside DC.

We will be traveling on a Saturday and expect there to be vacation traffic, so I am going to do my best to get an early jump on it.

I would appreciate any insights you might have.

Thank you in advance!

Retired: '94 Coleman Pop-up, '14 Jay Feather X18D
Icescreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

Either shore route or 95 are going to have delays.

Shore route is going to have delays from 1 to 113 then ease after Ocean City if you were to back door it, but that shore traffic is at least 15-20 miles deep and no way out.

95 is going to be the usual Baltimore which you cannot go through the tunnels and must use the Key Bridge. Then DC and again 295 to 64E. 64 is a highly traveled 2 lane hwy that just boggs down for miles due to it being the main drag for Williamsburg, VA beach and OBX.

I have not done the 301 route, but I honestly don't know how much it will save in time due to lights and where it puts you on 95.

Having done this more than a few times I go with the leave early solution. Traffic on Sat does not seem to get going until about 9AM in most major cities on the EC so I try to get through as many as I can before then. You can't avoid it all, but you can get more than 50% of it behind you.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #3

301 has a lot of light and will be stop and go till well past DC. I95 is anybody's guess but you can really count on slow and go. Take 295 East around Richmond then I64 to Williamsburg. If I64 is backed up take an exit and go over to Route 60 which will take you into Williamsburg. As has been said "Early is your friend and much better". Have fun and grab a bite at he New York Deli in Williamsburg. Great place to eat but go hungry.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #4

Excellent, thank you both so much!

We are going to leave a bit earlier to get ahead of as much as possible via 95... and I will keep the route 60 in reserve.

Cheers.

Retired: '94 Coleman Pop-up, '14 Jay Feather X18D
Icescreamer is offline   Reply With Quote