Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #1

Running external wires to existing internal switch

Hi all, I'll be wiring up some awning LED's shortly and I've been watching a lot of videos on the best way to do it.
I was going to run the power from the porch light up and across to the far edge of the awning but I've seen others drill the hole, and fish the wires down to the existing porch light switch in the interior of the rig.

I'd like to do that as I've done similar things in my house....but the construction of a house and TT is not the same!

Sooooo I'm wondering are there any surprises I should be aware of when attempting to fish wires down the wall of a TT? Any tips from some members here that have already done what I'm going to do?

Thanks in advance!
Greenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:47 PM   #2

I wanted to install led lights in the steps on my trailer and utilize the existing, unused, exterior 2 light switch. The existing step light is about useless. So I took out the switch panel and tried to fish a new line down the wall to the basement (pass thru storage area). I ended up running into a horizontal cross member between the vertical studs. Plan B went into place. I would have thought the wires dropped straight down the wall, nope. I figured out they did a bob and weave around that crossmember.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:13 PM   #3

I did a similar install. The LED strip is below the awning where it attaches to the trailer exterior wall. My wires follow the awning wiring down the vertical arm attached to the wall. The wires continue thru the hole for the existing wires into the bedroom behind some small trim pieces. From there they travel into the basement (5th wheel). The LED set I bought has a remote and small sensor box. I tapped into a convenient hot and ground, mounted the remote convenient to the storage hatch and velcro’d the remote next to it. If I must say, I think my install is pretty clean. My LED strip was “exterior” and had self adhesive backing which I used. A week later I found it laying on the ground. I next used 3M auto trim tape next and it’s been holding for 5-ish years.

I think our walls are not hollow but filled with foam insulation. Existing wiring follows “gouged paths” through the foam but I’m not 100% sure about that and if correct not sure how those paths are made. My solution was to follow existing wires until I found a mounting point and power.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies!

I am going to tackle this mod in a couple of weeks so I may be posting again here if things go sideways....as the normally do!

I always end up getting the job done well, but the path is never quite as smooth as when I see videos on youtube. I always think to myself......"oh that looks easy! I'll be done in an hour! "

2 weeks later...... haha!
Greenic is offline   Reply With Quote